What I don't get about the protestors

SamSpade

And by this I mean, the anti-Israel protestors. But it could apply equally to some of the same protests done for the sake of climate change.

And - that is the whole agitation approach. Block streets, make a noise, antagonize people ---

It gets attention. That part works.

THIS is what I don't get. You know what made the Civil Rights Marches work? Or Ghandi's movements, in India? It wasn't JUST that they were non-violent and non-confrontational. And as Ghandi observed - at least in the movie - the perpetrators of their oppression DID eventually grow ASHAMED of their actions, against the non-violence of the ones they mistreated.

No, what is was, was - to WIN, you must change people's minds. You have to WIN over the public.
Peaceful movements - over time - change minds.
Movements predicated on antagonism - even violence - are destined to be MET with violence - and they will turn people OFF.
A man misses his parole hearing because of a shut down highway - an emergency vehicle carries people to the ER - late - because of people blocking a road. A mom can't get her children from daycare and must find other arrangements.

Students at these schools are having their graduation - and other events - cancelled. They can't study or even sleep at night, because activists scream all night long - and half of those aren't even students.

Your idea won't succeed, because you are not persuading, but using a tamped down version of - I'll just say it - terrorism.
Terrorism only works when the will of the people to fight back breaks, and people just say, please, just give them what they want.
THIS - can't work. You can't bully people into agreeing with you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And by this I mean, the anti-Israel protestors. But it could apply equally to some of the same protests done for the sake of climate change.

And - that is the whole agitation approach. Block streets, make a noise, antagonize people ---

THIS is what I don't get. You know what made the Civil Rights Marches work? Or Ghandi's movements, in India? It wasn't JUST that they were non-violent and non-confrontational. And as Ghandi observed - at least in the movie - the perpetrators of their oppression DID eventually grow ASHAMED of their actions, against the non-violence of the ones they mistreated.

No, what is was, was - to WIN, you must change people's minds. You have to WIN over the public.
Movements predicated on antagonism - even violence - are destined to be MET with violence - and they will turn people OFF.
A man misses his parole hearing because of a shut down highway - an emergency vehicle carries people to the ER - late - because of people blocking a road. A mom can't get her children from daycare and must find other arrangements.

Students at these schools are having their graduation - and other events - cancelled. They can't study or even sleep at night, because activists scream all night long - and half of those aren't even students.

Your idea won't succeed, because you are not persuading, but using a tamped down version of - I'll just say it - terrorism.
Terrorism only works when the will of the people to fight back breaks, and people just say, please, just give them what they want.

Most of those kids have no idea what they're protesting, and the rest of them are paid actors. They don't give a damn about the "cause" and don't even know what the cause is. They're not trying to win anyone over, they're just bitching either because their friends are or they're getting paid.

I'm curious what's going on with the parents of these college students. If that were my daughter acting like that I'd yank her out of that school so fast her head would spin. Do other parents just go "**** it" and continue to pay the bills just to keep their little terrorist out of the house?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
If I were a leader in the College administration, I'd mandate that this foolishness end within 15 minutes, and if that didn't occur, these protesting students would get expelled from the school immediately, with NO degree.

If I were a leader in Politicy and Guidance/Politics, I'd pull ALL Federal funding to the schools that refuse to reign in these protesting, ggressive anti-Semetic students.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If I were a leader in the College administration, I'd mandate that this foolishness end within 15 minutes, and if that didn't occur, these protesting students would get expelled from the school immediately, with NO degree.

If I were a leader in Politicy and Guidance/Politics, I'd pull ALL Federal funding to the schools that refuse to reign in these protesting, ggressive anti-Semetic students.

Zero out their credits so they can't go elsewhere.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Their whole schtik is DISTURBING Normality .... bringing ATTENTION to their cause by annoying Normies from throwing suop in van Gogh, to blocking to dumping black paint in Italian Fountains wasting 10's of thousands of litters of water to clean the fountain

"What they think is that if they're lucky, they'll grab attention and we'll all debate it on Twitter, and the media will talk about it. And a lot of people who care about climate change will watch and think about the message that's behind the tactic."

Environmental group Extinction Rebellion has long tested the limits of the adage "any publicity is good publicity," often drawing outrage for its more aggressive tactics. Recently, activists with Just Stop Oil sparked anger when they blocked traffic in London and caused major commuter delays. Videos show frustrated citizens dragging protesters out of the road, yelling and swearing at them.

These types of stunts aren't about changing hearts and minds, Fisher said, but about mobilizing people who are already sympathetic to the cause.

Many observers have accused activists involved in the art protests of hurting the movement.

In a response to the van Gogh stunt, one post said, "Targeting internationally important works of art won't increase support for your cause, or create change. It'll just turn people who have always supported the protests and the need for change against you, whilst giving bait to right-wing hacks."

Fisher said research suggests that even if confrontational activism turns people against a specific activist group, it's not likely to be counterproductive to the larger cause.

"There's very little evidence that people who watch this kind of tactic are no longer going to support somebody who's running for office who wants to address climate change," she said.

SamSpade

Do other parents just go "**** it" and continue to pay the bills just to keep their little terrorist out of the house?
I hadn't thought about that - they're clearly wasting what's left of the semester, which means Mom and Dad just spent 30-50k for their little twerp to throw it away. Maybe they ARE all paid actors, including the students.

glhs837

Power with Control

Funny, my son and I just had this conversation yesterday. He asked if I thought that the CR movement would have been as successful if MLK hadn't been martyred. I said yes, but it would have taken longer to have had the same effect. I asked if he thought that black culture would be where it if if JFK had not been killed.

SamSpade

Funny, my son and I just had this conversation yesterday. He asked if I thought that the CR movement would have been as successful if MLK hadn't been martyred. I said yes, but it would have taken longer to have had the same effect. I asked if he thought that black culture would be where it if if JFK had not been killed.
Bear in mind, the Civil Rights Acts of 57, 60 and the big one, 64 - all happened before MLK was shot. The '68 act happened during the MLK riots.

I'm continually impressed all the time for just HOW LONG and HOW LARGE the civil rights protests went on, peacefully.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Bear in mind, the Civil Rights Acts of 57, 60 and the big one, 64 - all happened before MLK was shot. The '68 act happened during the MLK riots.

His assassination gave all his rivls a platform to step up and take the movement down a different path.

SamSpade

His assassination gave all his rivls a platform to step up and take the movement down a different path.
And other than Malcolm X - most people have no idea WHO they are or what they stood for.
And ultimately THEIR approach just let people vent anger - it didn't fix anything.

OccamsRazor

I am 100% convinced that the majority of today's "protesters" are just adults and children alike that want social media attention. They couldn't give two sh!ts about the cause. The only thing they care about is having something to upload to their social media account or to monetize their "effort" on YouTube.

SamSpade

I am 100% convinced that the majority of today's "protesters" are just adults and children alike that want social media attention. They couldn't give two sh!ts about the cause. The only thing they care about is having something to upload to their social media account or to monetize their "effort" on YouTube.
They've definitely confirmed that on many of the campuses - a large portion of the protest population are not students at all.
Perhaps as much as half, in which case the threat of suspension becomes meaningless.

SamSpade

There's also something to the fact that youth want to "make a difference" and are often - idealists. That's a good thing, but as I experienced myself - others will exploit that "need" to their own ends. They are of course, comparing themselves to the Vietnam protests of the 60's, but they at least had a few reasons to be different - no one is asking THEM to go and fight and die in Gaza. So Vietnam protestors at least had some PERSONAL reason.

I've seen some of this - behavior - in my own kids, in their quest to be "different" from the "boomers". And it means they latch onto SOMETHING, hopefully from a vantage point where they can wag their righteous fingers at an older generation.

And it clearly has nothing to do with the particulars. When they say from the river to the sea, how many have no idea what it means?

And I am certainly disturbed by the fact that large portions of these protestors dispute the events of October 7. Jeez, we STILL have hostages. How do they think THAT happened?

Hijinx

MLK definitely helped the black race, he died for what he thought was right. Then along came Hussein Obama and negated everything MLK ever did. Martin actually brought the races together and pursued integration, while Hussein drove them apart and now many want to be segregated again.