What is Islam?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
meelak said:
If the bible says don't eat the port, if I am a christian then I must not eat it. If I say, I will go ahead and do it because it is not applicable to me or I don't believe in that edict, then I am making fun of god's words. What else can you call it?
What part of this is so hard to understand? It was laid out to you in simple, plain English.

Hessian

A quote from your source you cited against the moon worship issue:

"To begin with, the South-Arabian pantheon is not properly known. Its astral foundation is indisputable. As in most contemporary semitic cults, the southern Arabs worshipped stars and planets, chief among whom were the Sun, Moon and ‘Athtar, the Venus.[23] "

So..this Morey fellow finds statures with moons carved on them and then the interpretation becomes open-ended...
Later your scholars openly support the astral worship of the Arabians...

But of course none of this influenced Muhammed.

Don't shoot the messenger:
"Please don't regurgitate information without criticizing it. Thats being intellectually dishonest."

I didn't regurgitate: I introduced.
I didn't crticise it, you did...
I pointed out your scholars cannot discount the moon connect-in intellectual honesty.

What nothing to say regarding Muhammed's beheading practices?

PJay

Have any Christians here read the Koran?

And what do you Muslims think about beheadings...do you believe this should still be practiced today? Meelak you said Christians should follow their Bible completely...how about you? Do you follow the Koran to the letter?

Toxick

Splat
Homesick said:
Have any Christians here read the Koran?

:howdy:

It was a while back though, and I'm not prepared for a quiz.
I'm probably going to read it again soon for a refresher.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd forgotten about this until Hessian just reminded me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Verses_(novel)

The novel caused much controversy upon publication in 1988, as many Muslims considered that it contained blasphemous references. India was the first country to ban the book. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Supreme Leader of Iran, a Shi'a Muslim scholar, issued a fatwa that called for the death of Rushdie and claimed that it was the duty of every Muslim to obey.

On February 14, 1989, the Ayatollah broadcast the following message on Iranian radio: "I inform the proud Muslim people of the world that the author of the Satanic Verses book, which is against Islam, the Prophet and the Qur'an, and all those involved in its publication who are aware of its content are sentenced to death" 1.

As a result, Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of the book was stabbed to death in July 1991; Ettore Capriolo, the Italian translator, was seriously injured in a stabbing the same month; and William Nygaard, the publisher in Norway, survived an attempted assassination in Oslo in October 1993. On February 14, 2006, the Iranian state news agency reported that the fatwa will remain in place permanently. [1]

Yep, just some peace-loving Muslims. And that fringe element Ayatollah. And I'm sure that Timeline is all lies and distortions.

Hessian

Abdulhaqq cited this source earlier and yes...I did read it through-it was very enlightening (seriously: I enjoy a good archaeological discourse and assessment).
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Sources/Allah/moongod.html

The author sure did some serious Homework...HOWEVER. I can't imagine that this anti-Morey polemic has a second side to it. It is an academic argument and I would love to see a debate between the two scholars but...under Islamic Law, there is to be no accomodation or discussion with those who have disparaged Allah so...we will only get barrage and counter barrage.
if Morey showed up to debate...there would be death threats against him just like Rushdie....

time to reform Islam.

punjabigyrl

Is it me or the discussion is going in circles. I keep seeing the question of "why the clerics not condeming terrorism?" and in my opinion have been answered throughly with links and all however, maybe put in another language might help.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
abdulhaqq said:
Dear Forum Members,

Here is an excellent video.

Can You Be Texan and Muslim?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9184353144432289069&q=islam

With Peace,
Abdulhaqq

You can be from anywhere and Muslim; you can be from anywhere and subscribe to any religion you want (in THIS country and a few others). But:

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6 (emphasis added)

A good quote from an Indiana Jones movie: "You must choose, but choose wisely."

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
willie said:
What's the video about? I don't care to watch a barbarian perform a beheading.
I turned it off after it said, "Bible-bashing conservatives are turning Muslim." :rolleyes:

ItsBob would be interested. :jet:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Sharon said:
I turned it off after it said, "Bible-bashing conservatives are turning Muslim." :rolleyes:

ItsBob would be interested. :jet:

Someone call??

I'm not turning anything, and especially NOT muslim..

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Toxick

Splat
willie said:
What's the video about? I don't care to watch a barbarian perform a beheading.

It's about steak-eating, football watching, pickup-truck driving, Texas-flag-waving, all american good-ol'boys (and gals) embracing islam and becoming muslim.

"Ah wanna sit close to MO-ham-id".

It's a fairly interesting video.

Although hearing a texan accent coming out of a burka was somewhat unsettling at first.

abdulhaqq

Toxick said:
It's about steak-eating, football watching, pickup-truck driving, Texas-flag-waving, all american good-ol'boys (and gals) embracing islam and becoming muslim.

"Ah wanna sit close to MO-ham-id".

It's a fairly interesting video.

Although hearing a texan accent coming out of a burka was somewhat unsettling at first.

Yeah I thought that was kinda wierd.

abdulhaqq

itsbob said:
Someone call??

I'm not turning anything, and especially NOT muslim..

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

I didn't post the movie in order to convince you to become Muslim, but for some people to be more critical of their own views of Islam.

Btw, have you heard the "A Perfect Circle" cover of that song?