What qualifies Police Officers to drive fast?

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Laws and penalties don't apply to them.

Why not? :confused:

Are they above the Laws that were created by men and women that made us equal? :confused:

Last edited:

Petter Solberg

Re: even I know the answer to this ONE!!!

I understand what you are saying, but what I am saying is that the two drivers I saw were obviously not well trained to drive fast. My opinion is that they should be well trained if they are going to be allowed to drive in that manner on public roads. Otherwise they are no different than the local "bing bing" kids speeding through traffic. I never drive with one hand perched at the top of the steering wheel, and am a good high performance driver as I have been taught to drive fast (at the race track).

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
ever hear the one about a male dog... You know the one.

Q: Why does a dog lick his....

A: Because he can.

I think the same answer applies to this question.

Let me try and shed some light on the training... All officers are required to take several courses, classes and training before being authorized to respond. EVOC was mentioned earlier, there are also accident investigation classes, defensive and offensive driver training, etc. The levels, types of classes etc. vary depending upon the department (County, State, Federal jurisdiction type of thing). Regardless of the training, everyone has developed habits-some good, some bad. What you saw was someone too relaxed while driving at an elevated speed. I wasn't there and didn't see, but I have certainly seen my share of these types of actions and none are correct when looking at how they were trained.

However, have you ever made a lane change w/o signaling, do you always come to a complete stop at all stops signs, ever drive over the posted speed limit? I think we are all quilty of driving carelessly at one time or another. Most times we all come away unscaved...

Like I said, not trying to bust your... (well, what a dog can lick) but I think driving is something that everyone can find fault in (at one time or another) regardless of how good a driver one believes he/she is.

Racingwolf

Re: Re: even I know the answer to this ONE!!!

[QUOTE I never drive with one hand perched at the top of the steering wheel, [/B][/QUOTE]

They probalby saw the new study that is out about driving with your hands in the "10 and 2" position. The study says that with most vehicles now having airbags it is not safe to keep your hands in the 10 and 2 position.I if the airbag goes off it blows your hands out to the side and if anyone is in the passenger seat of your vehicle it can seriously injure them.

A proper driving position will improve your outlook - and safety - Dallas Fort Worth Update

If you think proper driving position means having your hands positioned at "10 and 2 o'clock" on the steering wheel (as they taught you in driver's-education class), get with the times! You see, automobiles have changed considerably in the past few years... and therefore, so should your driving habits. Relax - the changes are minor, and they can actually increase your driving safety and comfort, which will come in handy on those long road trips.

story

sifl

Re: Re: even I know the answer to this ONE!!!

Originally posted by Petter Solberg
I understand what you are saying, but what I am saying is that the two drivers I saw were obviously not well trained to drive fast. My opinion is that they should be well trained if they are going to be allowed to drive in that manner on public roads. Otherwise they are no different than the local "bing bing" kids speeding through traffic. I never drive with one hand perched at the top of the steering wheel, and am a good high performance driver as I have been taught to drive fast (at the race track).
Just so everyone is clear on this; you are well trained to do what? And you received this training where?

Petter Solberg

Wrong.
Being able to steer a vehicle correctly is the safest way to drive. One hand perched at the top of the steering wheel is absolutely the incorrect way to steer, not allowing for precise control of a vehicle in an emergency situation. The proper posture in a vehicle is to have two hands placed on the steering wheel at approximately the 9 and 3 oclock position with a slight bend at the elbow allowing for your arm to be able to push/pull the wheel around. Proper control of a vehicle is much easier with two hands placed correctly on the wheel. The best way to avoid an airbag going off is to avoid the situation that deploys an airbag.

My driving training includes 20 days of high performance driving instruction by the National Auto Sport Association, Porsche Club Of America, Car Guys Inc., Track Time, and BSR Summit Point. BSR actually trains FBI, CIA, and other military and law enforcement groups on the skill of high performance driving. My driver training isn't just tailored to driving fast on a race track, but makes me a much better driver on public roads.
Standard driver training offered by the local driving schools for obtaining a driving license is a joke and so is the article below.
I am just trying to make a point that Police departments do not offer proper driver training for what their job entails.

Rob

A proper driving position will improve your outlook - and safety - Dallas Fort Worth Update

If you think proper driving position means having your hands positioned at "10 and 2 o'clock" on the steering wheel (as they taught you in driver's-education class), get with the times! You see, automobiles have changed considerably in the past few years... and therefore, so should your driving habits. Relax - the changes are minor, and they can actually increase your driving safety and comfort, which will come in handy on those long road trips.

story [/B]

Originally posted by LINUS
Who cares what there driving habits are, if you think your better, put you application in.
:yeahthat: Yeah, put you application in. IM4, you put you application in didn't ya...:clap:

sifl

Originally posted by Petter Solberg
Wrong.
Being able to steer a vehicle correctly is the safest way to drive. One hand perched at the top of the steering wheel is absolutely the incorrect way to steer, not allowing for precise control of a vehicle in an emergency situation. The proper posture in a vehicle is to have two hands placed on the steering wheel at approximately the 9 and 3 oclock position with a slight bend at the elbow allowing for your arm to be able to push/pull the wheel around. Proper control of a vehicle is much easier with two hands placed correctly on the wheel. The best way to avoid an airbag going off is to avoid the situation that deploys an airbag.

My driving training includes 20 days of high performance driving instruction by the National Auto Sport Association, Porsche Club Of America, Car Guys Inc., Track Time, and BSR Summit Point. BSR actually trains FBI, CIA, and other military and law enforcement groups on the skill of high performance driving. My driver training isn't just tailored to driving fast on a race track, but makes me a much better driver on public roads.
Standard driver training offered by the local driving schools for obtaining a driving license is a joke and so is the article below.
I am just trying to make a point that Police departments do not offer proper driver training for what their job entails.

Rob
They can't even afford bullets, I'm sure race car school isn't in the budget. Volunteer to pay more taxes :yay:

K

Kain99

Emergency Vehicles, can only drive 10 miles over the speed limit legally. :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
Emergency Vehicles, can only drive 10 miles over the speed limit legally. :biggrin:
Some one told you that, didn't they? Section 21-106 of the Transportation Article says that if responding to an emergency call or pursuing a violator or suspected violator the emergency vehicles can "exceed any maximum speed limit, but only so long as the driver does not endanger life or property;"

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
Some one told you that, didn't they? Section 21-106 of the Transportation Article says that if responding to an emergency call or pursuing a violator or suspected violator the emergency vehicles can "exceed any maximum speed limit, but only so long as the driver does not endanger life or property;"
:yeahthat:

K

Kain99

No actually... That's what they taught us in Drivers Training at the Rescue Squad. :frown:

Ken King

PREMO Member
No actually... That's what they taught us in Drivers Training at the Rescue Squad. :frown:
Taught (AKA told), not read from an authorized publication such as the law? Now maybe your organization has rules due to insurance or the such, but the law seems pretty clear on this or is the law wrong?

K

Kain99

Taught (AKA told), not read from an authorized publication such as the law? Now maybe your organization has rules due to insurance or the such, but the law seems pretty clear on this or is the law wrong?
Heck if I know... or even care for that matter. :biggrin:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Heck if I know... or even care for that matter. :biggrin:
But you brought it up. Besides if you are ever on a crew that picks me up taking me to the hospital be very aware that I want you to put the hammer down.

K

Kain99

But you brought it up. Besides if you are ever on a crew that picks me up taking me to the hospital be very aware that I want you to put the hammer down.
KK Hammer down! Got it! :biggrin:

Aimhigh2000

How you drive

As a former police officer ( I broke my back ILD) I can only speak for the EVOC training that I got in Washington State. Crown Vics and the Caprice are naturally heavy vehicles, especially with the police packages they come with. I drove with my hand at the top, as it allowed for easier "shuffle" steering, and by keeping one hand at 12 and the other around 3ish, it allowed for better control of the vehicle. These cars react very differently during evasive moves, and you do maintain excellent control of the vehicle. Just like with your car, you become accustomed to how it acts and "feels." Extreme measures such as a "J" are also easier to accomplish. As far as speeding down the road, while it may not be completly legal, keep in mind that the number of officers patrolling the county and the amount of area they have to cover. I am sure that if you called for the police, you would want them there as quickly as possible ~ because you need them ~ If the county commisioners would approve more officers, then maybe they wouldn't have to speed from the south end to the north end because they are the only one for those areas.

A

Arcane360

Just doing their job

In response to the "speeding because they have a wide area to patrol", thats not a valid reason. If I need to be somewhere, which lets say takes 30 min to get there, at 9am and the time is 8:45 am, that DOES NOT give me the right to speed and get there when I want/need to be there. I personally cant stand when police drive faster than the speed limit in a non-emergency situation. As a matter of fact, I was riding in a deputy's crusier when he tailgated a lady, then pulled her over for exceeding the speed limit. He asked me if he should give her a ticket, I said "No give her a warning, since you was tailgating her anyways." I was mad at my friend who did that to someone else I didnt know. It doesnt matter where your hands are on the steering wheel, speeding is speeding. Police also tend to pull over cars that are easy to pull over or by-themselves.....but thats for another thread...

Anyone else have a better excuse for police speeding in a non-emergency situation?

newnickname

You know what? I'm happy for the Sherriffs around here. They haven't given me a hard time, and when I get behind one he isn't slowing me down. I can drive with no hands better than half the drivers putting on make-up or looking for that lost CD. Give em a break. If anybody's a pro at driving it's them. They do it all day.

Pushrod

Patriot
Originally posted by newnickname
You know what? I'm happy for the Sherriffs around here. They haven't given me a hard time, and when I get behind one he isn't slowing me down. If anybody's a pro at driving it's them. They do it all day.

BLAH - BLAH - BLAH!

When the cops begin to honor their oath to uphold the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights I will give them a break.