What should you do.....

PJumper

if someone is using your address as theirs?

Bought my house brand spanking new, so no previous owners or occupants. Last week I've got two mail, same last name different first names in my mailbox, with my address.

Justme2

Bought my house brand spanking new, so no previous owners or occupants. Last week I've got two mail, same last name different first names in my mailbox, with my address.

Check your credit. Just to be sure nothing like your identity is getting stolen.Next thing might be showing up is a bill for something you didn't buy or something you haven't bought sent to the door.
Might be just having a :cds: but I would rather be safe than sorry.:howdy:

PsyOps

Pixelated

I had the same thing happen to me. A guy from (I think it was) FL apparently visited our area, went to the hospital, and used our address to have his bill mailed. I actually tried to look the guy up and found his father. I contacted him and he told me it was his son and that it wasn't the first time he'd done something like that. I got the impression this guy was an eccentric individual that was always trying to cheat the system.

Do you remember the mayor of a little town called Berwyn Heights (in College Park MD). Some drug dealer decided to use the mayor's address to have his drugs mailed. The cops found out about the delivery and actually arrested the mayor. Then they later found out it wasn't really his, and that someone used his address as a cover.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Read and toss/keep

It's not your responsibility to ensure the previous residents are responsible adults. I've been in my home 10+ years and still get the occasional card addressed to the previous owner.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
As justme2 said, check your credit.
Go to the Post Office to see if they can do anything.
If it continues, file a police report just in case there's anything "funny" going on so you're on record as this being a problem.

It could just be an innocent typo somewhere that's being perpetuated via mailing lists. You should be able to tell if it's this based upon what kind of mail it is.

Good luck!

frequentflier

happy to be living
If it continues, file a police report just in case there's anything "funny" going on so you're on record as this being a problem.

It could just be an innocent typo somewhere that's being perpetuated via mailing lists. You should be able to tell if it's this based upon what kind of mail it is.

Good luck!

You may want to check the name in the MD Judiciary Case Search, too. See if the guy is a drug dealer or been busted for identity theft, etc. Then call the proper authorities.

PJumper

Thanks for all the responses. I actually was thinking about googling the names to see what pops out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Check your credit. Just to be sure nothing like your identity is getting stolen.Next thing might be showing up is a bill for something you didn't buy or something you haven't bought sent to the door.
Might be just having a :cds: but I would rather be safe than sorry.:howdy:

Good luck!

^This^

puggymom

Not the same thing I know but someone keeps using our phone number (his own name though) as a contact number. I get calls from collection lawyers all the time (we've had this number 7 years).

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Not the same thing I know but someone keeps using our phone number (his own name though) as a contact number. I get calls from collection lawyers all the time (we've had this number 7 years).

Same thing is happening to us. We've been here, with this phone number, almost 5 years. They keep leaving messages in english and spanish for Edgar Ramos. Once in a while I answer the phone to tell them to stop calling but they keep calling and won't give me an address to tell them to stop calling in writing. So freaken annoying that the ringers are off on all the phones.

drivingdaisy

Same thing is happening to us. We've been here, with this phone number, almost 5 years. They keep leaving messages in english and spanish for Edgar Ramos. Once in a while I answer the phone to tell them to stop calling but they keep calling and won't give me an address to tell them to stop calling in writing. So freaken annoying that the ringers are off on all the phones.

airhorn em

puggymom

I have only had one person get rude and snippy with me. Most of the time when I say no he does not live at this number they say thanks and that's it.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
airhorn em

Great idea! I used to blow a whistle in telemarketers ears because we're on the do not call list but they kept calling. Haven't had a telemarketing call in a long time! :killingme

I have only had one person get rude and snippy with me. Most of the time when I say no he does not live at this number they say thanks and that's it.

They haven't really gotten snippy but they also haven't deleted our number from their database like they keep saying they will. I rarely answer and they rarely leave messages anymore. They just call 10x a day.

BOP

Here's how to stop that: "You didn't hear? Edgar was in a terrible car accident. I'm so sorry. No, I don't know if he lived, but it was pretty bad. Okay, thank you."

It's almost a guarantee they'll stop calling.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Here's how to stop that: "You didn't hear? Edgar was in a terrible car accident. I'm so sorry. No, I don't know if he lived, but it was pretty bad. Okay, thank you."

It's almost a guarantee they'll stop calling.

Hey it's worth a try! :buddies:

gemini5715

My Mom just got some mail for someone who NEVER lived at her address (but she knew who it was). They DIED in 2000!. She put a forward to St. John's Cemetary on the envelope and put it back in the mailbox. Then she got a bill for what was sent and wrote on the bill "Will not be paying--died 12 years ago!!!)

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Call the people in charge of the Md. Sex Registry, have them cross check your address. People give bogus addresses for many reasons to obtain mail. The adresses for many things often are checked only by showing peices of mail with their name and address on it.

:coffee: