What size backpack for a years travel?

Hi all
I'm looking at doing a years travel backpacking and in a dilemma with what travel backpack size to take?
I like the ones with the daypacks attached do people think a 60litre bag + 20litre day pack would be to big?
I'm thinking maybe a 45litre bag + 15litre daypack would be better.
Any thoughts or tips would be great
Thanks

Last edited:

HemiHauler

Hi all
I'm looking at doing a years travel backpacking and in a dilemma with what size travel backpack size to take?
I like the ones with the daypacks attached do people think a 60litre bag + 20litre day pack would be to big?
Thanks

I travel with carryons only — never check anything — so 60 litre would be far too large for that. You’ll need 45 liter or smaller. If you generally check luggage, you don’t need to worry about that. However, a fully loaded 60 litre bag can be heavy lugging it around if you have to walk any distance.

I have a 46 litre Osprey and a 30 litre Tom Binh. I carry the 30 most often. I use the 46 if I need more bulky items, for example if I’m traveling in the winter. The 30 fine for trips of any length iff you will have access to laundry facilities, which I assume you will for a trip of that length.

I use an Osprey Daylite for a day pack. Forget the size, but probably marginally smaller than 20.

What is your itinerary?

Bonehead

Depends on if you are living outside or using hostels etc. Living outside is a trade off between "stuff" and being able to carry it in whatever terrain you are in.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hi all
I'm looking at doing a years travel backpacking and in a dilemma with what size travel backpack size to take?
Thanks
I have one of those Main and Day combos made by Jansport.
It is my luggage for the little traveling my wife and I do.
It is about 15 years old and has held up well.