What's for dinner?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The old farmer that used to sell it fresh cut, by our roadside every year, passed away about 5 years ago and nobody kept his beds going apparently. ;-(
A friend of mine’s sister had an established asparagus bed at her old place. She was giving it away all the time there was so much.

unfortunately she moved a few years ago.

now it’s grocery store only.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A friend of mine’s sister had an established asparagus bed at her old place. She was giving it away all the time there was so much.

unfortunately she moved a few years ago.

now it’s grocery store only.
I can't stand to eat "mature" asparagus with thick dark green stalks....but I love the really early tender little shoots picked as soon as they pop up. We grew asparagus back on our farm when I was growing up..another of things I know how to do but never get around to doing.

Our local grower picked it fresh every day and never let it get too large before he did.

when I was working in Germany on a ship project, the crew was all put up in a BnB in Eckernforde on the Baltic where we were conducting sea trials. Home cooked dinner every night. They have a unique way of raising asparagus - denying it exposure to sunlight - that makes it come out pure white in color and amazingly tender. Steamed and with a cheese sauce slathered on top...to die for.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I can't stand to eat "mature" asparagus with thick dark green stalks....but I love the really early tender little shoots picked as soon as they pop up. We grew asparagus back on our farm when I was growing up..another of things I know how to do but never get around to doing.

Our local grower picked it fresh every day and never let it get too large before he did.
Depending on where I end up moving, at retirement, that’s for the first things I intend to plant and get started. From everything I read it takes a couple of years before you get anything decent out of it so the sooner the better.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Do not follow the current advice for how to build a bed of asparagus. I tried for years, finally pulled out an old 1940s gardening book, followed their instructions, and have had 2 beautiful beds over the last 30 yrs.

Dig an 18 inch deep trench, a foot wide. Pack in 12 inches of fresh manure. Cover with 4 inches of soil, slightly mounded. Lay the roots around the mound. Start to cover with soil as the asparagus comes up until the soil is level with the surrounding ground. Do not pick for 3 yrs. Keep all weeds out. Spread every fall with a load of fresh manure, and some 10-10-10 when you finish picking about Memorial weekend.

And plant half green half purple. Bugs love the green, barely touch the purple.

Dinner every night from a 25' long bed, mid April to Memorial day. Now that the kids are gone, even get some in the freezer.

I'm getting prepared to plant a new bed that should last the rest of my life.

my-thyme

Patron
Hubby always made the boys eat anything I put on the table. I told him not to push it when they made faces at the asparagus, because he liked it.

For 20 yrs he had to share with those boys, and there was never enough to satisfy everyone. Now he gets all the asparagus he wants. 🤣

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They have a unique way of raising asparagus - denying it exposure to sunlight - that makes it come out pure white in color and amazingly tender. Steamed and with a cheese sauce slathered on top...to die for.
It also makes a delicious soup.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dig an 18 inch deep trench, a foot wide. Pack in 12 inches of fresh manure. Cover with 4 inches of soil, slightly mounded. Lay the roots around the mound. Start to cover with soil as the asparagus comes up until the soil is level with the surrounding ground. Do not pick for 3 yrs. Keep all weeds out. Spread every fall with a load of fresh manure, and some 10-10-10 when you finish picking about Memorial weekend.
life.
Sounds exactly like what we had on our farm.

rio

Sitting on front porch swing enjoying a dish of 👇. Refreshing after a busy day!

That used to be my mom's "go to" dish for summer pot lucks. She would add fruit cocktail. Most people loved it, but I've never been a fan. It's a texture thing for me. Still a good memory of her making it and me helping cut the fruit with her!

PJay

That used to be my mom's "go to" dish for summer pot lucks. She would add fruit cocktail. Most people loved it, but I've never been a fan. It's a texture thing for me. Still a good memory of her making it and me helping cut the fruit with her!
There is a recipe using fruit cocktail, but not being a fan of canned fruit cocktail, decided to try this recipe.

Reactions: rio

my-thyme

Patron
0325241741~2.jpg