Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I love it here.

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Surf City Baby

Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by Toxick
What exactly is culture shock? . . . I'm just wondering, basically, what are the symptoms of "Culture Shock"?

I don't know a scientific definition.

For a long time I felt completely out of place, and wholly misunderstood whenever I chanced to converse with a stranger.

Except on a job training visit to Reno, I had never been outside California. And, except for Reno (where there are bumper stickers that read Welcome to Nevada -- California's Designated Smoking Area) I had never seen so many smokers! First in NoVA for a few months, then in SoMD, I had to get used to being in a public places where people could smoke again. It took a whole year before I was no longer surprised at being asked "smoking or non-smoking?"

I am quite out of place in some of my political philosophies. For one example, I am baffled by the gun culture (and even more baffled by the rhetoric of the gun lobby. It's not too noticeable in So. Cali.). I have one bumper sticker on my car and it sticks out like a sore thumb as I tootle down Leonardtown or Route 6.

Politics in general seem to be more conservative, and although some may be thinking of Hollywood and saying to themselves, "no surprise there," it really is surprising. It's really only largely around L.A. that politics are liberal. Orange County, for example, is so politically conservative that its confines are routinely referred to as "behind the Orange Curtain." As for the rest of the state: remember, the Golden State gave the nation Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

In some ways, parents seem more permissive than my friends with children back home. In other ways, they're far more strict.

Attitudes are different here. People on the road are more aggressive and quicker to flip the bird at the slightest excuse. There seems to be more misogynism here -- from women as well as men. That really surprised me.

On the whole, though, I generally find that people are basically the same. Most just want to live their lives in peace and to allow others to do the same.

(Now if I could just get used to the unbelievably frantic pace in DC. My god, you'd think that no one in that city ever slowed down for anything! People, take your time... I'd be willing to bet the average blood pressure within the beltway is a third as high as that back home.)

Surf City Baby

Re: misogyny

Originally posted by cariblue
No such word.

You're absolutely right, of course. :notworthy I know the word.... Ever struggled for the correct spelling of a word, but it just won't come to you? I was miserably off the mark, and I am royally embarrassed.

So what you're saying is the men in Southern MD hate women, and the women in Southern MD hate women?

No.

I wrote "There seems to be more [misogyny] here -- from women as well as men. That really surprised me." That's precisely what I meant. I didn't make the generalization you suggest: that I think the men of So. MD and the women of So. MD -- all men and all women across the board -- hate women. Yes, obviously that is the literal meaning of the word. But there can be different shades in its usage -- or is this another round of culture shock for me? :wink:

In comparison to the attitude toward women I knew back home, the attitude toward women out here seems harsher. More condescending. More patronizing. This is my observation of a limited number of people in a limited number of settings, as well as my observation of the interactions of men and women -- especially male superiors and female subordinates -- at work.

It's not easy to describe what I mean at midnight after such a long day. If you like, I'll elaborate another time.

PS It still really surprises me. I think it always will.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Re: misogyny

Originally posted by Surf City Baby
I wrote "There seems to be more [misogyny] here -- from women as well as men. That really surprised me." That's precisely what I meant. I didn't make the generalization you suggest: that I think the men of So. MD and the women of So. MD -- all men and all women across the board -- hate women. Yes, obviously that is the literal meaning of the word. But there can be different shades in its usage -- or is this another round of culture shock for me? :wink:

In comparison to the attitude toward women I knew back home, the attitude toward women out here seems harsher. More condescending. More patronizing. This is my observation of a limited number of people in a limited number of settings, as well as my observation of the interactions of men and women -- especially male superiors and female subordinates -- at work.

It's not easy to describe what I mean at midnight after such a long day. If you like, I'll elaborate another time.

PS It still really surprises me. I think it always will.

In other words, of the people you've met, there is a more negative attitude towards women, however, you are not prepared to accuse all Southern Marylanders of misogyny, because unlike some people on this site, :rolleyes: you are not prepared to make generalizations based on the relatively few you've met.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by cariblue
No such word.

misogyny-hatred of women.

Correction. It is a word [from dictionary.com]:

misogynism

n : hatred of women [syn: misogyny]

:cheesy:

My two cents: I've dealt with the condescending attitudes towards women from some men (not all men, so don't jump me). I'm not sure if it's the attitude they grow up with or is part of the atmosphere of the Navy, but it does exist around here. I don't let it bother me anymore - it's their problem, not mine. But if they continue, I just prove to them I'm as smart if not smarter than they are and go on my way. :cool:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: misogyny

Originally posted by cmcdanal
because unlike some people on this site, :rolleyes: you are not prepared to make generalizations based on the relatively few you've met.

If you and your child move into a new home, and later find out a child molester lives 3 doors down, you would want to move. Doesn't mean the neigborhood as a whole is bad, but you've seen enough to decide you want out.

demsformd

Hey, DemsforMD: re: your tagline

"demsformd - the token liberal Democrat here"

Not anymore, sweetie.... :peace:

I love the California liberals. :biggrin: I attended Berkeley for undergrads in the 60's and I loved it out there. But I am certainly glad that I am back home.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hey, DemsforMD: "demsformd - the token liberal Democrat here"

Not anymore, sweetie....
Originally posted by demsformd
I love the California liberals. :biggrin:

You guys talk about it like that's a good thing. :killingme

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by Sharon
You guys talk about it like that's a good thing. :killingme

:howdy: It's good to laugh. Glad I could help make your day!

Do you see the politics of those who don't share your views as necessarily bad, then?

Toxick

Splat
Do you see the politics of those who don't share your views as necessarily bad, then?

I do.

If I thought the politics of those I disagree with were good, I would espouse those politics myself.

In other words, I disagree with policy and views for a reason.

But that's just me.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Re: Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

I am quite out of place in some of my political philosophies. For one example, I am baffled by the gun culture (and even more baffled by the rhetoric of the gun lobby. It's not too noticeable in So. Cali.). I have one bumper sticker on my car and it sticks out like a sore thumb as I tootle down Leonardtown or Route 6.

Just curious, but what baffles you about the "gun culture"? :confused:

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by Christy
Just curious, but what baffles you about the "gun culture"? :confused:

The thing that baffles me most about the "anti-gun culture" is that it seems they would rather see me helpless against an armed criminal (don't think criminals will give up their guns just because they're (ha-ha) banned), rather than allow me to be on equal footing.

On the other hand - the prospect of running down game and killing it with my bare hands does sounds exciting and intriguing.

Last edited:

demsformd

Guns and southern Maryland have been tied together since well the beginning of the county back in 1636. We are a bunch of rednecks and we love to hunt. That is what we do here. Deal with it.

demsformd

I just want to say that I have never ever carried a gun in my life. I hate them and I am sorry but just what are the chances that you are going to be in the position to defend youself. But still people here love their guns which is stupid.

Toxick

Splat
I just want to say that I have never ever carried a gun in my life. I hate them and I am sorry but just what are the chances that you are going to be in the position to defend youself.

What are the chances of a bunch of people getting into the cockpits of airplanes and managing to slam them into not one, but three national landmarks?

What are the odds of winning the lottery? People win them every day.

Chances are that my house will not be struck by lightening. But damn if I don't have rod on my house in case it does.

I don't know what the odds are, but I do know that I would rather not trust the lives of my children to chance.

But still people here love their guns which is stupid.

Guns are a means to an end. They are tools. Dangerous tools, but no more dangerous than cars, or, say, medical licenses.

Loving them is stupid? Maybe. But no more stupid than hating them.

B

Betty_Elms

Originally posted by vraiblonde
We'd go to dinner, John would start...what? Flirting probably isn't the right word because sucking on someone's neck goes past that.

Oh Vrai honey, say it ain't so! You're waaaaay too good to be playin around with him! :razz2:

I like it okay here....pretty scenery and semi-close to DC/Baltimore. I don't like the abundance of: country music, NASCAR, stuffed ham and crabs, and the dang pollen! Not a bad place, but I can see why some don't enjoy it.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Betty_Elms

I like it okay here....pretty scenery and semi-close to DC/Baltimore. I don't like the abundance of: country music, NASCAR, stuffed ham and crabs, and the dang pollen! Not a bad place, but I can see why some don't enjoy it.

You can't have one w/o the other.

BTW, I grew up here and have lived here for all but 10 years of my adult life and I've NEVER eaten stuffed ham. I've only seen it once. As far as crabs go, I was 18 b/f I could clean them fast and efficiently enough not to starve while doing it. It's an aquired skill, so I can understand why people not raised on them don't appreciate it, but I think it's worth it.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Toxick
Loving them is stupid? Maybe. But no more stupid than hating them.

:yeahthat:

What I've always thought was ironic was how the Feminists are so anti-gun. :rolleyes: Aren't they supposed to be about leveling the playing ground against you evil men? :confused: A firearm is the great equalizer. Sorry ladies, but as bad as you may think you are, a 200lb man is physically "badder". :wink: I've met WAY too many ladies that are alive today because of the great equalizer, so no, guns don't skeer me. Crazy PEOPLE skeer me. :bawl:

Christy

b*tch rocket
BTW, I grew up here and have lived here for all but 10 years of my adult life and I've NEVER eaten stuffed ham.

I just had stuffed ham for the first time this year. Tastes WAY better than it smells! :barf: I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Some is better than others, Sharons husband (by far) makes the best stuffed ham in Southern MD. :yay:

B

Betty_Elms

You can't have one w/o the other.

BTW, I grew up here and have lived here for all but 10 years of my adult life and I've NEVER eaten stuffed ham. I've only seen it once. As far as crabs go, I was 18 b/f I could clean them fast and efficiently enough not to starve while doing it. It's an aquired skill, so I can understand why people not raised on them don't appreciate it, but I think it's worth it.

Technically you can...I also find snow and mountains to be pretty scenery, but I don't think I would worry about the pollen....

I wasn't picking on anyone who likes things I don't. We were asked our opinions and I gave mine. I didn't mean to offend anyone with it.