When is it time to just say "NO"

Watching the news tonight on channel 7 in Washington and they are doing a piece on the lack of food at the area food banks. As they are filming at an outside distribution site, where bags of food are being given out, a man who appears to be in his mid-20s steps forward to get his free food WHILE TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE! Maybe slap a little gravy on that phone and see how it tastes.

innocent

undercover
Watching the news tonight on channel 7 in Washington and they are doing a piece on the lack of food at the area food banks. As they are filming at an outside distribution site, where bags of food are being given out, a man who appears to be in his mid-20s steps forward to get his free food WHILE TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE! Maybe slap a little gravy on that phone and see how it tastes.

:spank: shouldnt they have denied him. i mean come on now there has to be some kind of guidlines (if u have a cell phone ur not so hard up right?). and prob drivng a new car out of camera sight :sarcasm:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
:spank: shouldnt they have denied him. i mean come on now there has to be some kind of guidlines (if u have a cell phone ur not so hard up right?). and prob drivng a new car out of camera sight :sarcasm:

Maybe he had the welfare phone. There's a thread or two here someone about the free phone welfare collectors can get now. Let's just keep on giving them stuff and they'll never want to fend for themselves.

wm1953

Those of you who have compassion for your fellow man, please
give to your local food bank. Our young citizens are outside
many grocery stores on weekends collecting food.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Those of you who have compassion for your fellow man, please
give to your local food bank. Our young citizens are outside
many grocery stores on weekends collecting food.

they need to change their tack..

Telling me about starving kids, when i know damn well there are already programs out there that NO kid should go hungry, and if the child does it;s ALL on the parents.. to try to get me to donate to their foodbank.. Don't mislead, don't lie.. KIDS GET FED, AND KIDS GET HEALTH CARE..

Tell me the truth and MAYBE I'll see your point, and join in your crusade.

wm1953

they need to change their tack..

Telling me about starving kids, when i know damn well there are already programs out there that NO kid should go hungry, and if the child does it;s ALL on the parents.. to try to get me to donate to their foodbank.. Don't mislead, don't lie.. KIDS GET FED, AND KIDS GET HEALTH CARE..

Crusade?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

36 million people are on food stamps.. Supposedly they are counted in the "Starving Americans". 14 million kids a day are malnutritioned in the US.

For you to feed those people would be monumental.. so yes, a crusade.

A crusade doesn't have to mean killing people that don't believe in your imaginary friend.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
If kids aren't in school, or too young to be in school, there are no meals. Sometimes school is the only place they eat. Costs are going up (I'm noticing it more every time I buy groceries), but pay isn't and work is thin for alot of folks.

I give to the food pantry because they help EVERYONE not just the foodstamp collectors.

And just because the govt collects money from us to dole out, doesn't mean everyone who needs help gets it.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I worked with a gal that use to volunteer at a soup kitchen 1 day a week. She did it for a few years. 1 day a week she'd take a long lunch. Went to wipe tables or serve food. She felt better I guess.

Then I noticed she stopped going. When I asked her why she stopped she replied that she got a little tired of serving people with children that had designer jackets and sneakers that she refused to buy her sons because they were too expensive. Priorities.

I think welfare should mean you also go without multiple piercings, tramp stamp tattoos, lottery tix and nail appointments. You wanna look good, do it on your dime.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If kids aren't in school, or too young to be in school, there are no meals. Sometimes school is the only place they eat. Costs are going up (I'm noticing it more every time I buy groceries), but pay isn't and work is thin for alot of folks.

I give to the food pantry because they help EVERYONE not just the foodstamp collectors.

And just because the govt collects money from us to dole out, doesn't mean everyone who needs help gets it.

Again, don't use the kids in your argument.

IF there is a need, there is WIC. The guidelines for WIC are pretty lax, and ANY family that has trouble finding the money to feed their kids will most likely qualify.. If they are school age kids, they get (if there is a need) free breakfast, AND free lunch.. Between WIC, foodstamps, free meals in school.. KIDS should NOT be going hungry.. Of course if parents got off their ass and did what they had to do to care for their children they wouldn't be going hungry

I have more respect for the illegal doing #### jobs trying to provide for his family then I do for some Americans that won't get off their ass and work to provide for their families.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'd rather see an argument for the 80 or 90 year old WWII vet that worked his entire life scraping out a living for his family. That cared for his kids, but now has a fixed income and can't afford to pay the taxes on the house he spent his entire life buying. Now has to chose between eating and keeping his house from being taken by the gov't.

THAT person I have sympathy for.

He EARNED and deserves our help..

But of course, that doesn't loosen up the purse strings like.. "It's for the CHILDREN!!"

AeroTaken

Don't mislead, don't lie.. KIDS GET FED, AND KIDS GET HEALTH CARE..

Exactly, we all know "all the children, are completely fine and provided to overflowing." LOL

Then I noticed she stopped going. When I asked her why she stopped she replied that she got a little tired of serving people with children that had designer jackets and sneakers that she refused to buy her sons because they were too expensive. Priorities.

I think welfare should mean you also go without multiple piercings, tramp stamp tattoos, lottery tix and nail appointments. You wanna look good, do it on your dime.

Seriously, it pisses me off when I'm at the pharmacy and the customer at the other register is wearing designer clothes, leather boots, hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry, a coach purse, got their nails done with all the designs in them, and talking LOUDLY on their top of the line cell phone while some WORKING person is waiting on them...and is getting their prescriptions for FREE with their medical card. While I'm PAYING my copay (quite a lot on certain prescriptions) ON TOP of the insurance premiums that I already PAY.

Or the 23 year old (outfitted in the same manner) in front of me at the grocery store with a cart half full of steaks, ribs, and seafood with the other half full of frozen pizzas and dinners, pulls out their Independence Card. Sure they got Independence....independence from having to work for a living and get everything to overflowing for free.

Before I get b!tched at, I have NO problem with people who actually NEED assistance getting it. Can usually tell the difference, as the people who actually NEED the assistance are usually more reserved and almost seem embarassed that they are in that situation. The one's I'm complaining about seem to wear it like a badge of honor!

Priorities is exactly right!!!

SamSpade

Or the 23 year old (outfitted in the same manner) in front of me at the grocery store with a cart half full of steaks, ribs, and seafood with the other half full of frozen pizzas and dinners, pulls out their Independence Card. Sure they got Independence....independence from having to work for a living and get everything to overflowing for free.

Since I've actually lived sleeping on the floor and quite literally digging ditches for a living, I think it's fair to say for some people, the reason they are poor is the scenario you described. When I was that poor, I slashed my expenses, ate meagerly and took every opportunity to make more money and get out of misery.

When I was unemployed several years ago, I cut my expenses, lowered the thermostat, bought large bags of rice and frozen vegatables and made my own fried rice. I still managed to pay what bills I still had and I always made the mortgage. I lived frugally, but aside from unemployment - which I had paid into, so I had no problem collecting it - I got no assistance from anyone, and would have refused it.

This is a great nation - if you're having a hard time, you CAN make it. But not if you're a dumb schmuck who can't control profligate spending when you're broke.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Again, don't use the kids in your argument.

IF there is a need, there is WIC. The guidelines for WIC are pretty lax, and ANY family that has trouble finding the money to feed their kids will most likely qualify.. If they are school age kids, they get (if there is a need) free breakfast, AND free lunch.. Between WIC, foodstamps, free meals in school.. KIDS should NOT be going hungry.. Of course if parents got off their ass and did what they had to do to care for their children they wouldn't be going hungry

I have more respect for the illegal doing #### jobs trying to provide for his family then I do for some Americans that won't get off their ass and work to provide for their families.

When my 1st husband and I split up I couldn't get WIC even temporarily unless he wrote a letter stating he was not paying his Child Support so until it kicked in we were hurting! I do agree that lots of people abuse it though.

jedi2814

I worked with a gal that use to volunteer at a soup kitchen 1 day a week. She did it for a few years. 1 day a week she'd take a long lunch. Went to wipe tables or serve food. She felt better I guess.

:yeahthat:

wm1953

Give to your local food bank. Pull some of those can goods
out of your pantry, that you may never eat, and drop them
off at Southern States. Stove Top Stuffing and a can of
gravy would be a nice contribution. When you thank God
for what you have Thursday, He will be pleased.