Where are all the baby Ospreys?

Hessian

Broome's island...Pairs were flustered by our kayaking but NO fledglings. Last week we did a paddle near the mouth of the pax R.--again Pairs, no young. SOMETHING is going on.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It will be interesting if the increase of bald eagles is the reason for the decline in osprey chicks. A chick sitting on a nest is an easy meal for an eagle. What's to be done then?

Chris0nllyn

Haven't seen many Ospreys this year. One big guy flies around. Him/her and a Blue Heron.

I've got like 6 turtle nests in my yard this year though. Never seen that before.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It will be interesting if the increase of bald eagles is the reason for the decline in osprey chicks. A chick sitting on a nest is an easy meal for an eagle. What's to be done then?

The Ospreys on the Bay must be tougher , they run the Eagles out of town...fun to watch

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Ospreys on the Bay must be tougher , they run the Eagles out of town...fun to watch

It seems only when it is two on one. The osprey I saw trailing the eagle the other day wasn't attacking. Just following at a respectable distance. And with chicks in the nest, one parent is never too far away.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We're directly across the river from the VA shore where the eagles rule. The steady encroachment of the eagles on osprey habitat on our side has been something we've been noticing for a while now. Seems to have reached a tipping point in our immediate area..