who else sat on golden beach rd, over 3.5 hrs..

pbotz

So a car or something took out a pole last nite at the golden beach T at about 8 pm. Myselft and probally 100 other cars camped out on the sides of surrounding rds waiting to get home since the rd was closed till about 1.20am.
I understand its a downed pole and what not but it really sucks to have your wife and kids in the car and sit there at 10am on a sunday nite with nothing to do and nowhere to go for 3-4 hrs.

i feel like they should have done more to try to allow cars to pass by and go home instead of letting us stew there with no idea wtf.

I did not see any news feeds on it, nor did i see pics so im just going on opinion here. Were at a disadvantage in that we have 1 way in and its blocked or stopped were done..

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
So a car or something took out a pole last nite at the golden beach T at about 8 pm. Myselft and probally 100 other cars camped out on the sides of surrounding rds waiting to get home since the rd was closed till about 1.20am.
I understand its a downed pole and what not but it really sucks to have your wife and kids in the car and sit there at 10am on a sunday nite with nothing to do and nowhere to go for 3-4 hrs.

i feel like they should have done more to try to allow cars to pass by and go home instead of letting us stew there with no idea wtf.

I did not see any news feeds on it, nor did i see pics so im just going on opinion here. Were at a disadvantage in that we have 1 way in and its blocked or stopped were done..

depending on where the pole was.. and the wires (if they crossed the road)

and all the utility trucks that had to be on scene to restore the lines and pole.... there may NOT have been anyway to do so...

I heard the call go out .. and them talk about the lines were very low

sockgirl77

This pained me to read. Was it Sunday night or Sunday morning?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
oh... and FYI... I do think the accident happened sometime around 7:30-800pm...

was listening to it right before i went to bed.

ProudMomma

Maybe, just maybe, they were making sure it was completely safe with all the downed power lines? Maybe, just maybe, they were thinking about everyone's safety? Maybe............you could have walked down to find out if they anticipated the road being open anytime soon. I would have found out, and then gone to stay somewhere else, a friend, and family member. Oh wait......... I DID!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Maybe, just maybe, they were making sure it was completely safe with all the downed power lines? Maybe, just maybe, they were thinking about everyone's safety? Maybe............you could have walked down to find out if they anticipated the road being open anytime soon. I would have found out, and then gone to stay somewhere else, a friend, and family member. Oh wait......... I DID!!

True...

not really sure if they wires were on the ground.... but more so still attached to the top of the pole that was suspended in the air and hanging very low.

The Linemen may have been able to work that area while it was still energized (so there may not have been a LARGE outage to all in Golden Beach area) If this was the case .... then yes the road would have been shut down as the trucks would have been in the way.

also... does anyone know "what" pole was hit.... was it on GB Rd right before the T..... was it one just as you make the right onto All Faith..... or was it one if you continue from All Faith towards GB (and pass thru the T) the poles would be on your left hand side.

belvak

Happy Camper
Don't know where the pole was, but my lights flickered around 7:50. Never went out though. Other people I know that live in the Charlotte Hall/Hughesville area lost power for a short while. I'm not in "Golden Beach", but I am off of Golden Beach Road after the T.

itsrequired

Unless you were born in Golden Beach and now are stuck in your parents home because you have no other choice, who really is to blame here. If you bought your house or are renting, did you not consider that there is just one main road in and just one main road out?

Instead of bit**ng and complaining about not being able to get home, maybe you should start looking for another place to live. Why would first responders, police or other emergency personnel put themselves in harms way for your convenience? Is your family's comfort that much more important than those first responder's safety?

pbotz

ha ha funny. you really dont realize that your trapped in golden beach till one day your on your way home at 9pm sunday nite with a tired baby and trunk full of grocies,and boom, fatal accient, pole down, or some other drama. Than you learn., your stuck and cant get home cause theres only one way in.

the smeco workers at the road block did not have a repair eta. Saftey is an issue of course. Seemed like they were not even concerned with getting anyone past it no matter what. I really dont have any family or friends close and it was already pretty late on a sunday nite so it was limited on who is up and whats open for 3-4 hrs to kill.There was about 50 or so other cars doing the same thing so they must not have had an alternative also

Last edited:

sockgirl77

ha ha funny. you really dont realize that your trapped in golden beach till one day your on your way home at 9am sunday nite with a tired baby and trunk full of grocies,and boom, fatal accient, pole down, or some other drama. Than you learn.

the smeco workers at the road block did not have a repair eta. Saftey is an issue of course. Seemed like they were not even concerned with getting anyone past it no matter what. I really dont have any family or friends close and it was already pretty late on a sunday nite so it was limited on who is up and whats open for 3-4 hrs to kill.There was about 50 or so other cars doing the same thing so they must not have had an alternative also

It's PM, not am. I do not have the time to finish editing the rest of that mess.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
ha ha funny. you really dont realize that your trapped in golden beach till one day your on your way home at 9am sunday nite with a tired baby and trunk full of grocies,and boom, fatal accient, pole down, or some other drama. Than you learn., your stuck and cant get home cause theres only one way in.

:twitch:

sm8

It was a blue SUV and it was the pole with a transformer on it right at the T. They actually did open the road for a little bit (one lane alternating). I guess it was while they were waiting for the truck but they let the people who had been waiting immediately after it happened go in and out.

As for the people who were going out, unless it was an emergency I do not feel bad for them not being able to get back in because they knew when they were leaving the road would be closed. I am curious if there could be possible alternate routing put in or if that would just clog up the other roads. I am gonna have to go google maps and look and see if it would be possible.

pbotz

i was out all day, than returned unknowgly later to find this out. if your jammed from leaving your neighborhood than thats no problem, just go back home.
If they allowed cars to go by, which i did see leaving,than they should have let people in. Its more important that people get home late evening on a sunday nite than those leaving neighborhoods.There are not alternative route in though. Its a T block the left side of the T and your done.

Anyone see any articles of it yet..

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
ha ha funny. you really dont realize that your trapped in golden beach till one day your on your way home at 9pm sunday nite with a tired baby and trunk full of grocies,and boom, fatal accient, pole down, or some other drama. Than you learn., your stuck and cant get home cause theres only one way in.

:coffee: wow ... someone must not understand electricity very well .. and with it being foggy and damp...
so would you risk your life and your family’s life to under energized lines.. or get that close to them ... JUST to get your family home??

Im sure they had more pressing concerns to worry about .. than just you. I think they were more thinking of their safety… and planning out the job with current conditions around them.

sm8

I have not seen any news articles on it yet and I was surprised when I checked on here this morning that there were not any threads about it.