Who won the maintenance contract?

2Loquacious

Thanks. They're keeping it quiet for some reason. IAP is stating that they're trying to win back the contract because they win the bid first. There are a ton of rumors flying around.

Ahhh...so this probably means that IAP is protesting the loss. No shock there since it seems every time a company loses they protest since there is very little downside. While protest is happening (can take months to a year to settle) the original (now losing contractor) keeps the contract and continues to get paid at original rates. The new awarded contractor sits and waits and can't begin work on a contract they legitimately won.

There is another maintenance contract on base being protested as well b/c the encumbent lost. Only in the government can you lose a contract (usually b/c your price was MUCH HIGHER), file a protest and keep right on collecting $$. Really sad example of govt at work.

sockgirl77

Ahhh...so this probably means that IAP is protesting the loss. No shock there since it seems every time a company loses they protest since there is very little downside. While protest is happening (can take months to a year to settle) the original (now losing contractor) keeps the contract and continues to get paid at original rates. The new awarded contractor sits and waits and can't begin work on a contract they legitimately won.

There is another maintenance contract on base being protested as well b/c the encumbent lost. Only in the government can you lose a contract (usually b/c your price was MUCH HIGHER), file a protest and keep right on collecting $$. Really sad example of govt at work.

IAP is stating that they originally won the contract but that the contract was put back on the table and the new company beat them by like $5M. :shrug:

abcxyz

Yeah, right along with engineers and management doing a LOT less work for at least 10x as much. Jackass.

Fair enough, cut their pay as well. 10 times $20/hour is $200/hour times 2080 hours a year is $416K a year. There are a lot of engineers and management worth that but a hell of a lot more that aren't. As long as they are being paid with my money (taxes), I have a say in it. Private sector? Couldn't careless how much they are paid. Giant Food could pay the parking lot cart collector $100/hour and it wouldn't bother me one bit since I have a choice to shop there or not. I don't have that choice with my tax dollars.

See this post: http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/267233-private-sector-salary-public-employee.html

sockgirl77

Fair enough, cut their pay as well. 10 times $20/hour is $200/hour times 2080 hours a year is $416K a year. There are a lot of engineers and management worth that but a hell of a lot more that aren't. As long as they are being paid with my money (taxes), I have a say in it. Private sector? Couldn't careless how much they are paid. Giant Food could pay the parking lot cart collector $100/hour and it wouldn't bother me one bit since I have a choice to shop there or not. I don't have that choice with my tax dollars.

See this post: http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/267233-private-sector-salary-public-employee.html

:yahoo: Biden gets another night in Paris!

2Loquacious

IAP is stating that they originally won the contract but that the contract was put back on the table and the new company beat them by like $5M. :shrug:

Sounds weird they would even win the contract in the first place if their price was so much higher. Wondering if losing contractor protested against them after getting the de-brief. A lot of these contracts are evaluated on 'Best Value' and vendors argue that price doesn't count (evaluation should be for experience, past performance). In times where money is getting cut everywhere - not sure how anyone can argue that the govt should pay $5M more for a service.

I see the IAP people changing light bulbs around my building but not sure what else they do.

sockgirl77

Sounds weird they would even win the contract in the first place if their price was so much higher. Wondering if losing contractor protested against them after getting the de-brief. A lot of these contracts are evaluated on 'Best Value' and vendors argue that price doesn't count (evaluation should be for experience, past performance). In times where money is getting cut everywhere - not sure how anyone can argue that the govt should pay $5M more for a service.

I see the IAP people changing light bulbs around my building but not sure what else they do.

They fix roofs, repair pot holes on the runways, fix the many HVAC issues, and any other thing that's sprung on them. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Yes but...if the salaries paid to engineers/scientist in civil service are not in line with those paid the same people in the private sector then, on average, the only people who would take the jobs would be the lowest performers..and/or the retention rate would be terrible.

bohman

Yes but...if the salaries paid to engineers/scientist in civil service are not in line with those paid the same people in the private sector then, on average, the only people who would take the jobs would be the lowest performers..and/or the retention rate would be terrible.

Stop making it complicated, people hate that.

It's like buying cheap, Chinese-made #### at Walmart rather than shopping for anything better quality. Never mind the cheap stuff doesn't work as well and will break in half the time, it's cheaper so we'll save money! :yahoo:

abcxyz

Ummm....take a trip on base, that is pretty much what we ended up with any way.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
They fix roofs, repair pot holes on the runways, fix the many HVAC issues, and any other thing that's sprung on them. :lol:

We just had a roof repaired, work was contracted out to another company. The last time I seen anyone doing repairs on any part of the airfield it was being done by trading post. I have seen them replace some air conditioners though. Have also seen them put a rather large hole in a well and turn the hole into a door, looks nice now. I think they fall under building maintenance, and ground maintenance.

sockgirl77

We just had a roof repaired, work was contracted out to another company. The last time I seen anyone doing repairs on any part of the airfield it was being done by trading post. I have seen them replace some air conditioners though. Have also seen them put a rather large hole in a well and turn the hole into a door, looks nice now. I think they fall under building maintenance, and ground maintenance.

2 or 3 months ago an IAP worker did runway repairs while he was on call during the weekend. Last week, that same IAP worker was on a roof fixing it.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
2 or 3 months ago an IAP worker did runway repairs while he was on call during the weekend. Last week, that same IAP worker was on a roof fixing it.

Don't know, did not see any IAP guys when the roof was getting done, seems nice now thing used to leak like a sieve. As for the airfield, I have never seen an IAP truck, worker etc out there. Only maintenance trucks I have ever seen have been GMTP, or follow me trucks from ops. Then again it is rare we do much work involving the airfield on the weekends, so that may be the time they go out there.

Not saying you are wrong, jut saying I've never seen them out there. Even the few times I have seen bulbs replaced on the marker lights it has been done by ops.

sockgirl77

Don't know, did not see any IAP guys when the roof was getting done, seems nice now thing used to leak like a sieve. As for the airfield, I have never seen an IAP truck, worker etc out there. Only maintenance trucks I have ever seen have been GMTP, or follow me trucks from ops. Then again it is rare we do much work involving the airfield on the weekends, so that may be the time they go out there.

Not saying you are wrong, jut saying I've never seen them out there. Even the few times I have seen bulbs replaced on the marker lights it has been done by ops.

Let's just say that I know this worker VERY well. :lol:

7dgirl

IAP does basic up kept on the buildings and basic repairs as well. And what I mean by basic repair is something that can be fixed within a certain amount of time. Change light bulbs, air filters, small roof leaks, stopped up sink or toilet drains, replace water filters as well and preventive up kept.

If it is something that will take days or weeks to fix then it will get contracted out. Roof replacement, major runway repairs ect.

To make it simple the work they do is the same work you would do at you house or a handyman would do.

The question is going to be asked how I know. Been retired form Johnson Control/AIP for two years now. Was there for 35 years.

sockgirl77

IAP does basic up kept on the buildings and basic repairs as well. And what I mean by basic repair is something that can be fixed within a certain amount of time. Change light bulbs, air filters, small roof leaks, stopped up sink or toilet drains, replace water filters as well and preventive up kept.

If it is something that will take days or weeks to fix then it will get contracted out. Roof replacement, major runway repairs ect.

To make it simple the work they do is the same work you would do at you house or a handyman would do.

The question is going to be asked how I know. Been retired form Johnson Control/AIP for two years now. Was there for 35 years.

Then you probably know my dad, bf, and friends!