Why are the schools closed today?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We are looking at moving and with each place we look at, I check the school's calendar. Seems Calvert Co has the most days off of any place I've looked (WA/ID/TN/PA). Most places will start after Calvert does and finish in May because they don't have so many school closures. Some even schedule Parent/Teacher Conferences in the evenings so kids are in school during the day.

blacklabman

And another thing! I guess the departing St. Mary's superintendent has his Doctorate in Education. I consider that roughly equal to a BA in Industrial Engineering (sorry IE guys).

awpitt

Main Streeter
Depends, daughter is out of town visiting friends because she has the day off.

...or took the day off. If she works for SMCPS, she would've had to take they day off. As in a personal day, leave, etc. Today is not a day off for teachers in the SMCPS.

BernieP

Resident PIA
And another thing! I guess the departing St. Mary's superintendent has his Doctorate in Education. I consider that roughly equal to a BA in Industrial Engineering (sorry IE guys).

BS in Industrial Engineering (not a BA)

An "Education" degree certifies the student is proficient in "educratoratory" - it's a language that us civilians don't know how to speak.
For advanced degrees they learn the "how to be condecending to the taxpayer". They are taught the, "you just don't understand" method of defending a nonsensical position.
Those with a PhD - or as we like to say, Piled Higher and Deeper, learn how to generate such catch phrases as, "Work Hard and Play Fair" to define their continual process improvement. This of course justifies the salary and benefits worth 5 to 6 times the most senior classroom instructor.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
They sit in a circle on the floor, do Jell-o shooters, and pass a blunt around. :cool:

BS in Industrial Engineering (not a BA)

An "Education" degree certifies the student is proficient in "educratoratory" - it's a language that us civilians don't know how to speak.
For advanced degrees they learn the "how to be condecending to the taxpayer". They are taught the, "you just don't understand" method of defending a nonsensical position.
Those with a PhD - or as we like to say, Piled Higher and Deeper, learn how to generate such catch phrases as, "Work Hard and Play Fair" to define their continual process improvement. This of course justifies the salary and benefits worth 5 to 6 times the most senior classroom instructor.

Did your parents or your teachers teach you two to be the dickheads you are? Just curious.

Today is a day off school mandated by MD State Department of Education. Some systems in the State have it as an in-service day, others don't.

The other in-service days you see in the school calendar are also mandates from MSDE. School systems with lower achievement have more than those with higher achievement. Staff meetings have also turned into in-services.