Why civility can't return to politics

Chris0nllyn

I'm talking about the comparison between wildly divergent political and social views in evidence now, by people who all "grew up" together in the same small close-knit rural community. As far as I know they've all been moderately to very successful and "free stuff" was definitely never a factor.

If those people got out of that area, one could argue they simply went their own way and for whatever reasons determined a specific ideology or party suited them best. If they stayed in the area, the likely factor is the growing prevelance of the internet and ability to spread information (however true).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If those people got out of that area, one could argue they simply went their own way and for whatever reasons determined a specific ideology or party suited them best. If they stayed in the area, the likely factor is the growing prevelance of the internet and ability to spread information (however true).

In the latter case, though, we've all been exposed to the same internets..same TV... I've got friends from HS that I still stay in touch with via FB, class reunions, etc. that were once practically "brothers and sisters from other mothers" who are now so polar opposite of me politically that all we can do (fortunately) is make jokes about it. One of those "friends since kindergarten" (I'm 60..so is he) actually did go so far as to tell me I'm "on the wrong side of history" during a recent FB discussion initiated by another of my very liberal lifelong friends, where I was the lone supporter of Kavanaugh's appointment.

And an equal number, at least, of those I grew up with are decidedly very conservative in most respects.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You'd agree those folks didn't come out of the womb with a "Democrat" tag attached to their toes though, yes?

Then they proceeded to be bombarded with left wing indoctrination almost non-stop from kindergarten on.

I thought I wrote my post in English. I swear you do this just to piss me off.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is it particular factors, or a mindset? I know it's easy to just say "free stuff" is the reason, but I don't think that's true.

I don't think it's true, either. I think it's because from the time they start kindergarten, if not before, they are constantly receiving the message that Democrats=good and Republicans=evil. From their teachers, the programs they watch on TV, the music they listen to, the pop cultural idols they enjoy, and sometimes even their parents. Especially my kids' generation, they have been told repeatedly that Republicans are racist, misogynist, want to kill everyone who isn't a white male, etc. Democrats, on the other hand, are loving and caring and want to take care of everyone and have world peace.

Never mind that neither of the parties has accomplished - or even worked toward - their left wing stereotype; the message is planted in cement, then reinforced daily to make sure it takes.

Grumpy

Democrats, on the other hand,tell you they are loving and caring and want to take care of everyone and have world peace.

Fixed...cause that is exactly what they do, feed you full of bs to get your vote. They care about power only, look at every historical Dem city, county and state and get your proof.

transporter

In the latter case, though, we've all been exposed to the same internets..same TV... I've got friends from HS that I still stay in touch with via FB, class reunions, etc. that were once practically "brothers and sisters from other mothers" who are now so polar opposite of me politically that all we can do (fortunately) is make jokes about it. One of those "friends since kindergarten" (I'm 60..so is he) actually did go so far as to tell me I'm "on the wrong side of history" during a recent FB discussion initiated by another of my very liberal lifelong friends, where I was the lone supporter of Kavanaugh's appointment.

And an equal number, at least, of those I grew up with are decidedly very conservative in most respects.

Ya know...when I speak to friends from that far back...the last thing on Earth I want to talk about is f***ing politics. I'd rather hear about their kids, their jobs, their life. I don't really give two squirts about their political opinions.

If you only judge your friends by their political viewpoints, well you aren't much of a friend are you?

transporter

I don't think it's true, either. I think it's because from the time they start kindergarten, if not before, they are constantly receiving the message that Democrats=good and Republicans=evil. From their teachers, the programs they watch on TV, the music they listen to, the pop cultural idols they enjoy, and sometimes even their parents. Especially my kids' generation, they have been told repeatedly that Republicans are racist, misogynist, want to kill everyone who isn't a white male, etc. Democrats, on the other hand, are loving and caring and want to take care of everyone and have world peace.

Never mind that neither of the parties has accomplished - or even worked toward - their left wing stereotype; the message is planted in cement, then reinforced daily to make sure it takes.

God I love reading your posts!! Could you be any more blind? Could you be any more hypocritical? You never seem to have the first clue about anything other than some BS conspiracy theory...

What a hoot!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ya know...when I speak to friends from that far back...the last thing on Earth I want to talk about is f***ing politics. I'd rather hear about their kids, their jobs, their life. I don't really give two squirts about their political opinions.

If you only judge your friends by their political viewpoints, well you aren't much of a friend are you?

Dos this mean we aren't your friends?

Hijinx

You are a liar. There is no way you can come in here with your crazed TDS and be friends with anyone who doesn't agree with you.
You might be smart enough to avoid politics at a reunion or with friends---but I doubt it.
Any casual reference to politics would set you off like a Roman candle.
How can you be so rabid here--yes rabid--and not give a squirt what your friends political viewpoint is.
I hate to say it, but you are full of sh1t.

Now for the problem with civility.
The whole problem is that both parties are in to power.
Neither of the two parties give a sh1t about America being run right--They just want to run it.

Nobody but nobody can tell me that of all the things that come up in our Government and it's laws and the making of them that every democrat or every republican feels the same way. That there are none that feel a bill presented by a democrat or a republican is good or bad., But if they vote against the party, they lose Chairmanship of committees, or they don't get put on committees, or they get campaign monies held back ,or like Manchin, they start an investigation into why he is living on a boat.

The people in both parties are made to do what they are told to do. They may think they are wheels but they aren't. They are puppets. Every damned partisan voting one of them of both parties.

Now the libertarians talk a good game, but if they start getting power they will be the same way and Independents cannot win because the big parties outvote them. Bernie knew that, It's why he changed to a democrat, and almost beat Hilary, but he got shafted,
Which in Bernie's case was a good thing because if he hadn't he quite possibly could have been our first Communist President.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You know, there's this new invention called "social media". You connect with your friends - even ones you haven't seen in decades - and read each other's posts, sometimes discuss issues back and forth.

So, like, your friend posts something political, and you either do or don't comment on it, and vice versa. But either way, whether you comment or not, you still get a good idea of where your friend stands politically.

Perhaps you just don't have any friends, which wouldn't surprise me.