Why does everyone hate self-checkout?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

There was a time when gas stations had self pump or you could go to a pump that had an attendant, if I remember correctly, the attendant was a few cents more than the self pump. Maybe the self checkout stores stores should try that. If you use self checkout, you get a small discount.

Back in the day, when self-service was coming onto the scene mixed with the full-service option, full service prices were typically 10¢-15¢ cents per gallon more than self-service. And some stations were even higher.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
In the early embargo days, if you had a locking gas cap dont piss off the attendant. He MAY accidentally switch caps with another car
I had to guard the end of the line at closing time so late comers couldn't sneak in. It got a little tense sometimes.:boxing:

This was in Suitland.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
did you check for "odd -even" days? I used to work at a radio installatiion company, Car Sounds, Silver Hill & Suitland, 8 track with a slip mount, 2 speakers $19.95..... we duct taped cardboard speakers to the kick panels.....
Absolutely! And blocked the right lane with a 50 gal drum at the Suitland Sunoco.

We got our Krako speakers at Penn Jersey Auto Parts across Silver Hill Rd and installed them in the wash bay.. The guy at the Chinese Restaurant blew up his Peking ducks with our air hose.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Absolutely! And blocked the right lane with a 50 gal drum at the Suitland Sunoco.

We got our Krako speakers at Penn Jersey Auto Parts and installed them in the wash bay..
I was trying to remember the name of that place talking to someone recently.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I don't mind using self-checkout, but I hate that the landing zone for my bagged groceries is so dang small. If I have a grocery cart full of food and household items, I need a much larger space than a 2'x2' place to load and store my filled bags.
Agree! Heaven forbid you have to pull a full off to start a new bag. The machine starts screaming at you to put it back.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Agree! Heaven forbid you have to pull a full off to start a new bag. The machine starts screaming at you to put it back.
I ignore it. Makes the attendant come over to clear it. Figure if I piss them off enough they might change it.

Grumpy

There was a time when gas stations had self pump or you could go to a pump that had an attendant, if I remember correctly, the attendant was a few cents more than the self pump. Maybe the self checkout stores stores should try that. If you use self checkout, you get a small discount.
Wonder if Jersey is all full service still?? Was against the law to pump your own gas. Couple years ago a young lady came up to me at WaWa and asked me to fill up her car cuz she didn't know how to do it, turns out she was visiting from Jersey and had never pumped her own gas. :lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Wonder if Jersey is all full service still?? Was against the law to pump your own gas. Couple years ago a young lady came up to me at WaWa and asked me to fill up her car cuz she didn't know how to do it, turns out she was visiting from Jersey and had never pumped her own gas. :lol:
Still was on the turnpike, last time I went up.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I don't mind self-checkout. I worked as a cashier in Home Depot when these things first started rolling out so I know how to use them...although they still get me from time to time. I just really hate when they act like I'm not going fast enough, and their volume is so god-damn loud, but I've learned to just ignore them.

My biggest concern is pulling my attention away from my cart while I'm ringing and bagging. I try my absolute hardest to do my regular grocery shopping without my kiddo. But it's a luxury to be able to take time to do that when he's in daycare or if my husband's home. And sometimes I just can't. I couldn't do it with more than one kid. I know I'm a somewhat anxious person, but I feel pure internal CHAOS as I try:
to ring
find produce numbers
acknowledge my chatty child as he regales some fantasy in his mind
flag down the self-checkout cashier-noob
bag everything
don't set off the bagging counter sensor
prevent chatty child from talking me into buying random crap they put up by the belts
watch my surroundings
all while keeping one eyeball on my kid (who's in the cart, but still)...

it gets overwhelming quick. So on days like that I appreciate having a checkout option with a cashier as it alleviates a majority of those issues. It doesn't always work out that way, and when I have to I do it without complaint, but that's why I just don't appreciate it when it's my best option as I approach check-out. I don't mind waiting, usually, so a bit of a line for a cashier doesn't bother me too much, but I can tell when a line is long enough to test more of my kid's boundaries that the above-mentioned hassle is worth. But also, all of this is why I avoid grocery stores past 9am on weekends for a reason. I'd rather take PTO that push my kid and a full cart thru Walmart at peak hours :lol:

PJay

I don't mind self-checkout. I worked as a cashier in Home Depot when these things first started rolling out so I know how to use them...although they still get me from time to time. I just really hate when they act like I'm not going fast enough, and their volume is so god-damn loud, but I've learned to just ignore them.

My biggest concern is pulling my attention away from my cart while I'm ringing and bagging. I try my absolute hardest to do my regular grocery shopping without my kiddo. But it's a luxury to be able to take time to do that when he's in daycare or if my husband's home. And sometimes I just can't. I couldn't do it with more than one kid. I know I'm a somewhat anxious person, but I feel pure internal CHAOS as I try:
to ring
find produce numbers
acknowledge my chatty child as he regales some fantasy in his mind
flag down the self-checkout cashier-noob
bag everything
don't set off the bagging counter sensor
prevent chatty child from talking me into buying random crap they put up by the belts
watch my surroundings
all while keeping one eyeball on my kid (who's in the cart, but still)...

it gets overwhelming quick. So on days like that I appreciate having a checkout option with a cashier as it alleviates a majority of those issues. It doesn't always work out that way, and when I have to I do it without complaint, but that's why I just don't appreciate it when it's my best option as I approach check-out. I don't mind waiting, usually, so a bit of a line for a cashier doesn't bother me too much, but I can tell when a line is long enough to test more of my kid's boundaries that the above-mentioned hassle is worth. But also, all of this is why I avoid grocery stores past 9am on weekends for a reason. I'd rather take PTO that push my kid and a full cart thru Walmart at peak hours :lol:
Midnight at Walmart use to be so much fun! No people! Parking lot all mine! Cashier all mine!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The last 5 or so years at Lowe's I was one of the SCO attendants.
Most folks did not need help.

I'd like to see them limited to 10 items or less and NOTHING on those blue carts.

Unfortunately, the plan I saw on the Lowe's Front End of the Future will re-do the central registers with 4 more self check station and go down to only 2 regular registers.