Why is the White House lying about Uranium one?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If she committed crimes why wouldn’t we want that investigated?

How do you know she isn't being investigated? ..and won't be further investigated in the near future? That's got absolutely nothing to do with the appointment, or not, of an SC. Your gal could still be held accountable. :yay:

Hijinx

How do you know she isn't being investigated? ..and won't be further investigated in the near future? That's got absolutely nothing to do with the appointment, or not, of an SC. Your gal could still be held accountable. :yay:

I believe the odds are about 500 to 1, that Hillary will not be indicted.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dude, I've got that, now can you show me where the President would be explicitly forbidden from appointing one if they wanted to?

You first; show me where I ever claimed that the President was explicitly forbidden from appointing one. I simply pointed to the enabling legislation and precedents for AGs or Asst. AG's to be the ones to do it. ;-)

PsyOps

Pixelated
Dude, I've got that, now can you show me where the President would be explicitly forbidden from appointing one if they wanted to? You won't find it, because it doesn't exist.

What I could find so far:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43112.pdf

When the independent counsel law expired after June 30, 1999, the Attorney General promulgated specific regulations concerning the appointment of outside, temporary counsels in certain circumstances. Such personnel appointed by the Attorney General from outside of the Department of Justice to conduct investigations and possible prosecutions of certain sensitive matters, or matters which may raise a conflict of interest for Justice Department personnel, are called “special counsels.” These special counsels are appointed by, are answerable to, and may have their prosecutorial or investigative decisions countermanded by, the Attorney General. The “special counsels” under these regulations have, therefore, by express design, less “independence” from the Attorney General and the Department of Justice than did the “independent counsels” under the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, or the “special prosecutors” appointed by the Attorney General for the Watergate matter. One special counsel that was appointed under the new regulations, former Senator John Danforth, was appointed by Attorney General Reno on September 9, 1999, to be special counsel to investigate the “Branch Davidian incident” near Waco, Texas, to determine if there had been any misconduct on the part of federal law enforcement personnel.

Under the Justice Department regulations, the appointment of a “special counsel” is completely discretionary with the Attorney General.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You first; show me where I ever claimed that the President was explicitly forbidden from appointing one. I simply pointed to the enabling legislation and precedents for AGs or Asst. AG's to be the ones to do it. ;-)

Me first what? I never said you claimed anything, so there is nothing to show. The question I posed was rhetorical and I even included the answer that no law currently exists. What you pointed out was a no longer existing law that is still in use as a regulation by DOJ. Which begs the question, are the SC regulations in the CFR legal without statutory authorization? Without legislation can they just make sh!t up?

Midnightrider

Link to that specific testimony? I must have missed it.

You miss a lot. :yay:

Because a SC hasn’t been appointed. Sessions testified in his confirmation hearings that he would have to recuse himself from investigations involving Hillary.

acommondisaster

Which still brings us back to why I'm quite sure Trump isn't going to be appointing a SC...bad precedent to set. Sitting President directing an SC be appointed to investigate the losing candidate. Yeah...just what we need.

You have to keep in mind, Mr Gilligan, that some are still recovering from living under the Pen and Phone Reign, where 3 branches of government was just a speed bump to the ignoring laws on the books and writing memorandums to be obeyed.

Hijinx

I wish there was a place to make a bet on this.
I have several things to place money on.
1st. Session will resign before he will indict Hillary Clinton.
2nd.Hillary will not go to trial.
3rd. nothing will come of this.
4th. It is more like this FBI informant will not last another 6 months if anything does come of it.

Hillary has nothing to worry about.
Even worse her fellow conspirator Obama has nothing to worry about