Why solicit Religion?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, tonight I was in the middle of cooking and just sitting down to eat when two gentlemen from some church tried to solict me for religion. I find that completely rude. What I want to know is if I have to respect other peoples religion, why can't others respect mine. Don't they know they aren't going to change my mind in one conversation? I mean just the fact that a religion would promote such a thing makes me never want to consider it.

For all of you out there who do this, please think twice. Its rude, discrespectful and you deserve getting my door slammed in your face. If it wasn't illegal, I would sick my dogs on you!

Ok I am done whining now. The thing that got me the most wasnt the fact that they tried to solict, but they would not leave. They stood their with their foot in the door and continued to tell me why my religion was wrong and I needed to change. I was so mad I didn't even get the name of the church they were from. All I do remember is that it was a Christian Church.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I going to hell for thinking it?

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well of course you are going to hell ....cause you dont think like me :biggrin: ( ROTFLMBO)

But just so you can read up on the stuff...there was a particular thread about this in the religion forum you might want to check out. :smile:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I'm only bothered if they try to pass judgment on me and tell me I'm hell-bound. Otherwise, they're no worse than kids selling Girl Scout cookies or someone stumping for a political candidate. I don't know why people get so upset about religion. If they went door to door telling you about Zen Buddhism or Taoism, I think a lot of people would stop and listen out of curiosity. If they were Jews proselytizing, I think some might be curious, or even if they were Muslims, I think people might ask questions. Why is it that if it's Christian, do people get all upset over it? Geez, most people don't even go to church at all - why is it such a big deal if someone advertises about it?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I don't like to be solicited, especially at home, about buying any product, service, or religious speeches (this includes telemarketers). But...one thing to consider is that several religions have to go door to door or get out in the community and preach the word - so it's not really their personal doing, other than they believe in their religion just like anyone else does. Part of the belief is to make others aware, and they have to do that. So...I normally just tell them thank you but I'm Catholic and happy with that. What does bother me is that they had their foot in the door and wouldn't leave after you requested them to. That's the disrespectful part. I mean, I can handle a booklet, small speech, etc... - but once I say no, I mean it.

MDindef

Originally posted by jeneisen
What I want to know is if I have to respect other peoples religion, why can't others respect mine.

The aim of most of these kinds of visits is to find out where you are in that respect. This is why they go to your door. Some people don't like Christians because they represent guilt, and guilt's not a good feeling. It's generally not their purpose to do that, but it's a kind of "by-product" of the visit.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I guess I just don't understand why they feel they have to invade our homes. We work all day, come home and don't want to be bothered. I enjoy my peace and quiet. I have the call block on my phone for telemarketers, my number is unlisted, and I think that I shouldn't have to wonder if my door bell rings if I am going to be hassled. I will admit, I am not a deeply religious person, but I do have my beliefs, and no matter what any pamphlet or anyone says they cannot change that. So why try? Thats like trying to get a pro life person to have an abortion. Its just not going to happen. I believe there are some things you keep private in life. Finances, religion, and some politics. If I choose to exercise any of those I will do so at my convience.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Luckily this doesn't happen to me

Originally posted by jeneisen
They stood their with their foot in the door
That is rude. I would ask them to kindly remove their foot from my door and tell them they are tresspassing and to get off my property. After the verbal warning comes the physical warning. :wink: Maybe you were too nice.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A few weeks back, I had a couple of female Jehovas (sp?) Witnesses from DC stop at my house, in a black Mercedes Benz. They actually were not rude at all when I told them no thank you and they left.

But then again, I had my German Shepard at the door with me holding her collar as she barked at them. :lmao:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by RoseRed
I had my German Shepard at the door with me holding her collar as she barked at them. :lmao:
My dog naps by the door, so when someone creeps up on him he jumps up...and you should see the look of horror :eek: on their face. :lol:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yeah I have 3 big dogs. I have a Rottie, a German Shephard, and a Chow Chow. Most people don't even bother me when they see them, but these people didn't care. They were barking and growling and finally when I showed him my rottie he backed off. I think he thought I only had one, not 3. It was kind of funny.

In fact before I moved, I lived in a townhouse and all my neighbors were robbed except me and I never locked my doors. Everyone knew about the dogs. If they are dumb enough to come in the house, then they get what they deserve.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
There's also another thing - as a person who used to DO this, albeit many years ago (gosh - at LEAST 13 years ago - wow) they usually have at least one altruistic reason - they believe they are helping you with a situation you aren't aware of. It's not just selling "fire" insurance - to them, they're telling you your house is on fire, a flood is coming, the British are invading, whatever. Many of these people honestly believe they are bringing something desperately needed. Knowing this, I thank them politely and ask them to leave. If they don't listen, I know that they DON'T have my interests, but theirs.

But - I still don't know why someone promoting their religion would be so terribly offensive. So - you have your beliefs - is it so terrible to discuss them with anyone? If people disagree with you, is that so terrible?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Frank

But - I still don't know why someone promoting their religion would be so terribly offensive. So - you have your beliefs - is it so terrible to discuss them with anyone? If people disagree with you, is that so terrible?
I don't find it offensive at all, what I do think is that it's just inconvienent most of the time. I've had people walk up to me in parking lots and start their "sell" but usually I take their phamplet or whatever and continue on my way. I also don't feel that I have to explain my beliefs to every joe that approaches me.

SmallTown

Football season!
They came to my house recently.. My dog has a problem with greeting people (loses control of his bladder, to put it nicely). When I opened the door, he ran out and let loose on their feet (am I going to hell now?) They then ask if I have talked to jesus recently.. I felt like saying "No, but the next time you do, can you get me an autograph?"

But instead, I simply said I wasn't interested.. But they then wanted an explanation of why I wasn't interested.. Thats where I felt uncomfortable and thus where they crossed the line.. I againn said I wasn't interested, and closed the door..

Plus, I don't think it sets a good example for your kids to allow strangers in your house.. More than likely, they are legit.. But look how easy it woulld be for someone to pretend they are one of these people.. They get in the house, no sign of forced entry and who knows what they could do.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SmallTown
They came to my house recently.. My dog has a problem with greeting people (loses control of his bladder, to put it nicely). When I opened the door, he ran out and let loose on their feet (am I going to hell now?) They then ask if I have talked to jesus recently.. I felt like saying "No, but the next time you do, can you get me an autograph?"

LMFAO!!!

1. GOOD DOG!!

2. You should have said "yes actually, as soon as the dog flooded you leg, I said," for Christ sakes".

:lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
My dog naps by the door, so when someone creeps up on him he jumps up...and you should see the look of horror :eek: on their face. :lol:
Actually, she was outside when they arrived and they weren't getting out of the car so I called her in, thinking they just needed directions. Stupid me!

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I actually enjoy a short chat with the people from the Mormon church - my mom, although Catholic, partakes in some of their discussion groups.

However, it bugged the hell out of me when, on Christmas morning, two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on our door. I understand that they don't celebrate holidays, but they should respect that other people do! Christmas is just NOT a good day to go door-to-door!

J

justhangn

Originally posted by seasquirt
However, it bugged the hell out of me when, on Christmas morning, two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on our door. I understand that they don't celebrate holidays, but they should respect that other people do! Christmas is just NOT a good day to go door-to-door!

It sounds like you need to get a big MEAN dog and chain him to your front door step.

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I have a BIG dog, and he sounds mean when someone comes to the door, but he's a big wuss. I would never keep him chained to anything, though! His bark is big enough to do the job.

It WOULD be funny if he tried to hump a Jehovah's Witness's leg, though.

H

Heretic

Answer the door in the nude and they will usually leave you alone.