WiMax/Xohm

zetasoul

I am eagerly waiting for this technology to reach Southern Maryland. Comcast will charge me $8000 for running cable to my house, Verizon won't even bother coming out to look (I have an old phone line that is incapable of DSL), and HughesNet is the worse thing since Dial-Up. Right now I'm using EVDO (3G) through Millenicom, it is great but WiMax is almost 10x the speed. I heard that some people were able to connect to the network in DC, NOVA, and as far down as Clinton. Did anyone try to see if a connection can be established here? Even a moderate one? Don't worry I checked the website for availability already. There are some test sites that already have the service and are not officially announced yet.

hockeynutmd

I am eagerly waiting for this technology to reach Southern Maryland. Comcast will charge me $8000 for running cable to my house, Verizon won't even bother coming out to look (I have an old phone line that is incapable of DSL), and HughesNet is the worse thing since Dial-Up. Right now I'm using EVDO (3G) through Millenicom, it is great but WiMax is almost 10x the speed. I heard that some people were able to connect to the network in DC, NOVA, and as far down as Clinton. Did anyone try to see if a connection can be established here? Even a moderate one? Don't worry I checked the website for availability already. There are some test sites that already have the service and are not officially announced yet.

I've been looking into it as well. It looks like it will be awhile before they formally announce coverage in the DC area. But according to the old coverage map, the southern most point in MD was Clinton.

zetasoul

I don't trust that coverage map they have; I don't think it is up-to-date. Maybe they set up an antenna down here but just haven't officially rolled it out yet (similar to what happened in DC). I just ordered the home modem and USB adapter to see if I can get any service here in Waldorf. Since I work near the city, I will be using the USB adapter to map out where I can get service (hopefully at my office). They have a 30 day return policy and no contract, so problem canceling if there are no service here in SOMD.

CooleyGirl

I am eager to get WiMax as well. I'm in Hughesville and currently using Verizon EVDO, which I love except for the 5GB cap. I watch a lot of videos so I have to constantly watch my usage to make sure I don't go over the cap. Comcast is installed on my street but it will cost us a few thousand bucks to trench a line to the house. I've heard bad stories about HughesNet and DSL is not available, so crossing my fingers for WiMax!

zetasoul

I am eager to get WiMax as well. I'm in Hughesville and currently using Verizon EVDO, which I love except for the 5GB cap. I watch a lot of videos so I have to constantly watch my usage to make sure I don't go over the cap. Comcast is installed on my street but it will cost us a few thousand bucks to trench a line to the house. I've heard bad stories about HughesNet and DSL is not available, so crossing my fingers for WiMax!

I am currently using EVDO as well. If you have Sprint coverage, I suggest you go with Millenicom for service. They don't have any contract and from what I can tell, no cap. I do alot of downloading of movies and games. I am very happy with the service so far, but it is nothing compare to Cable/DSL. It is a great alternative to the horrid Hughesnet service. NEVER EVER GET HUGHESNET!!!! They have a cap and if you hit it, you be surfing at slower than dial-up speed (if that is possible), and it will take 24 hours to get it back to the already slower than EVDO speed. PLUS, you have to buy their equipments for around 300 - 500 bucks. I can't remember the exact amount but it was something outrageous.

Last edited:

zetasoul

Where did you order it from? Did you use a Baltimore address?

I ordered it from the Xohm website (XOHMâ„¢ WiMAX). I asked the sales rep first before ordering. They said that it doesn't matter which package you ordered, you can still return it within 30 days. The only thing I am not sure of is whether they will deny activation of the devices if I put in my Waldorf address. I don't have a Baltimore address and they seem to accept my order even though I have a Waldorf address. I will get the device this Monday so I will let you know if I can even activate it.

zetasoul

OK, so I got the devices yesterday. Here are my results:

1. No service in Waldorf yet. I know it was a stretch, but it settles my mind.

2. I got service in Clinton. Full service and it is extremely fast compare to EVDO. I tried it at work (Suitland) and got only 1 bar, but still as fast as EVDO at full strength.

I will continue to try different places for the next 20 days before returning it. Also, if you're curious, you need to provide a valid (serviceable) zip code in order to activate the devices. In this case, I put in the national aquarium's zip code in Baltimore. But your billing address can be your home address (which is not serviceable).

I think this will be great for city people who moved out to the boonies like me!!!!

Last edited:

zetasoul

So this is the speed that I got on 1 bar in Greenbelt, MD:

Down link: 5343 kb/s
Up link: 1288 kb/s
Latency: 73ms

As far as download speed, the highest I got was 1.2 MBps (that's Megabyte not bit). Close, if not, as fast as cable internet.

MotoX_Dad

Broadband for us in the boonies

This is what I'm waiting for, and the wait may not be too much longer. If you could get TV from your old rabbit ears or rooftop antenna you can get LTE. It supposedly blows WiMax and Sprint 4G lite out of the water. Google LTE..

Can't wait to throw away my aircard...:larry: