Wireless Question

rdkarob

I want to get my wife a laptop, unfortunately we do not have "wireless" dsl, or cable internet service. It is through our phoneline. I am not very computer savy, thats for sure.

My question is, could I buy her a laptop and get somekind of device so that she can move about the house with the laptop? We have direct Tv, they do not offer dsl in my area, nor does verizon but is this 2 separate issues?

Thanks anyone!!!!

Your current computer is hooked up to a modem, correct? In that case, get a wireless router and plug it in between the modem and the desktop PC and a wireless card for her laptop.

Linksys has a good tutorial on their website.

Aristakat02

i will never tell
wireless router

stop buy Best Buy ask about wireless router I am using Linksys right now it works great payed 69.99, its well worth it. I bought my router at Circuit City, they also have a support line to help set up router.

Good LUCK

rdkarob

Your current computer is hooked up to a modem, correct? In that case, get a wireless router and plug it in between the modem and the desktop PC and a wireless card for her laptop.

Linksys has a good tutorial on their website.

I am a little confused, maybe you can help. The modem is in the PC, phone cord from PC to telephone line. Then what? I have no clue but TIA

Aristakat02

i will never tell
connection

phone cord goes to router then either net cord suppied by router company will go to pc from the router

rdkarob

stop buy Best Buy ask about wireless router I am using Linksys right now it works great payed 69.99, its well worth it. I bought my router at Circuit City, they also have a support line to help set up router.

Good LUCK

We have dial up, dsl is not available thru cable or verizon where I live. Nice huh? Will these devices work?

slaphappynmd

I am a little confused, maybe you can help. The modem is in the PC, phone cord from PC to telephone line. Then what? I have no clue but TIA

You take the phone line coming from the wall, plug that into a wireless router, then connect the router to your computer, usually with an ethernet cable provided with the router.

Once you have that set up you would take your laptop and search for wireless signals, most new ones will do this automatically. You select yours and you have wireless internet.

When setting up the wireless you will want to put some type of security on it. If the router comes with a CD it should be easily done with that. The router CD will probably have tutorials to walk you through all of these steps I just said.

I want to get my wife a laptop, unfortunately we do not have "wireless" dsl, or cable internet service. It is through our phoneline. I am not very computer savy, thats for sure.

My question is, could I buy her a laptop and get somekind of device so that she can move about the house with the laptop? We have direct Tv, they do not offer dsl in my area, nor does verizon but is this 2 separate issues?

Thanks anyone!!!!

I might add that a lot of laptops come with a built in antenna so you won't need a wireless card for that if you get the wireless router.

Vince

yes it all works the same way, it will just be slower, since it is dial up, but all the same concepts apply.
:yeahthat: Just got a laptop with wireless card for my son for Christmas this weekend. Setup was a piece of cake, but I'm on DSL and already had a wireless router for my desktop. The computer came up with about 5 wireless signals and I picked the strongest one. It works great. Now I can have my desktop back. :clap: Got the laptop with windows XP too. :yahoo:

slaphappynmd

I might add that a lot of laptops come with a built in antenna so you won't need a wireless card for that if you get the wireless router.

Yes, and when you get the laptop check to see if it has wireless b/g, or Wireless N (the newest one and fastest). That will determine what type of router you will get.

slaphappynmd

:yeahthat: Just got a laptop with wireless card for my son for Christmas this weekend. Setup was a piece of cake, but I'm on DSL and already had a wireless router for my desktop. The computer came up with about 5 wireless signals and I picked the strongest one. It works great. Now I can have my desktop back. :clap: Got the laptop with windows XP too. :yahoo:

Do you have your wireless signal protected? I have mine set up with WPA-PSK, you can also use WEP. It allows you to set up a password to access your personal wireless signal and keeps others off. Before I set up the protection on mine I was always getting kicked off the internet (neighbors were using my signal). Once locked with a password the speed doubled and I rarely get knocked off.

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
Do you have cell phone access where you live? If so you can do a Wireless Broadband card with this device.
Kyocera KR1 Mobile EVDO Wireless Router TXRTR10000 at TigerDirect.com

If not you can use dial up. If you PC has Windows 2000 or XP on it you can use the setup a home network wizard. Please keep in mind you Desktop will have to have a modem and a network car installed in it. If you already do than you are good to go.

Software :
For Windows: Built into most Microsoft operating systems (Win98SE+) is a connection sharing utility called Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Like broadband routers, it relies on NAT (network address translation) to allow all your computers to connect to the internet using a single internet connection. Although not robust, it is free. Microsoft ICS
Other Solutions
There are a variety of software based internet sharing solutions and almost all of them work with modems. Software Internet Connection Sharing

In summary if you can get cell signal and swing the extra bucks for the Broadband Cellular card go that way. It is not as fast as cable or DSL but way way faster than dialup.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
same problem

i have a similar issues. I have my internet thru metrocast, which is high speed, they dont have wirelss. I have a router going from my tv to the router they provided. So I have to stay close to the tv.

I want to go wireless, but metrocast has been of no help at all.

Can I just go by a wireless router? If so, then what do I do.

Vince

Do you have your wireless signal protected? I have mine set up with WPA-PSK, you can also use WEP. It allows you to set up a password to access your personal wireless signal and keeps others off. Before I set up the protection on mine I was always getting kicked off the internet (neighbors were using my signal). Once locked with a password the speed doubled and I rarely get knocked off.
I'm new to this wireless stuff so I don't really know. Have to check it out. I'm not having any trouble staying on the internet. :shrug: I'm currently with verizon DSL and have a wireless router upstairs on my desktop. Laptop is downstairs and I get a connection.

Last edited:

...which just happens to be your neighbor??? :lmao:

slaphappynmd

i have a similar issues. I have my internet thru metrocast, which is high speed, they dont have wirelss. I have a router going from my tv to the router they provided. So I have to stay close to the tv.

I want to go wireless, but metrocast has been of no help at all.

Can I just go by a wireless router? If so, then what do I do.

Yep, you just run the wires from your metrocast modem to the router, then the router to the computer. Then your laptop will pick up on your new wireless signal.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
Yep, you just run the wires from your metrocast modem to the router, then the router to the computer. Then your laptop will pick up on your new wireless signal.

Router to the computer. How is that wireless. I want to be able to move around with it. Sorry if I dont understand.