Working Fire Subjects Trapped - Lusby

SoMDGirl42

Today's Calvert Recorder said the fire that completely destroyed the home is being investigated by the MD State Fire Marshall's office. The fire caused $187,000 in structural damage and $5000 in damage to contents. The occupants were displaced and are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call the Fire Marshall's office at 443 550 6835.

That tells me alot about this family. I could not furnish a complete home with personal belongings for $5000 for my daughter and I, much less 5 adults and 5children. If that's all the personal belongs 10 people had, it wasn't much or worth much. Does that even cover one room?

frequentflier

happy to be living
That tells me alot about this family. I could not furnish a complete home with personal belongings for $5000 for my daughter and I, much less 5 adults and 5children. If that's all the personal belongs 10 people had, it wasn't much or worth much. Does that even cover one room?

As one that drives by the house on a regular basis, I would be surprized if there was $5000 worth of anything in the house. The gutters were hanging for a couple years, siding ripped off, windows busted out, rug hanging from the porch, graffiti on the concrete steps and usually furniture and rubbish strewn throughout the yard.

poster

I did not state the gov't owned the home. I stated that if it is section 8 then we pay for it. Subsidies are tax dollars.

Touchy, touchy....nor did I say you did make that statement.
I was in reply to MMDad....however in reviewing your post you DID imply that 'we' taxpayers pay for the insurance.

I tend to believe that the 'homeowner' pays for the main homeowners policy.
Section 8 pays for part of the rent.
The renter pays for their own 'renters' insurance.

Either way, yes, taxpayers pay SOMETHING towards Section 8 housing and the conversation is irrelevant anyway if they are the homeowners.

mamatutu

mama to two
Y'all are being too judgemental about this family. You don't know their situation...yes, it seems bizarre, but...I live an upper middle class life...my daughter is someone any parent would be proud of..my son totally tried to destroy his life with drugs...so out of control, eloped with a crazy girl with 3 children (he was 21, she was 29) went to jail, etc. Unless, you are a fly on the wall...you don't know anything. As far as taxes, we all pay it all, plus gas hikes, racial tension, and OMGbama...just hang in there...we will make it.

Edit:We were lucky because probation let my son move to another state...so he has started over...the drug thing in SoMD is out of control. I recommend Robert Harvey (based in PF on Main Street) if you need a lawyer..he is by far the best. I have decided it isn't parenting that has gone wrong, it is the times we live in. My hub and I joke now about we spent the same amount on both kids...one graduated college with partial scholarships and the other we spent the same amount on lawyers and bail... whatever it takes because you don't turn your back on your children. (Just to let you know..my son was in top 10% of CHS grad class of 2008, Honor Society, Varsity Baseball (pitcher) and Varisty Golf...he came within of an inch of his life of not graduatating because of his stupidness...just a warning to parents of young ones that think everyting is ok. I can go to my grave in peace knowing I did all I could...we never gave up.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Y'all are being too judgemental about this family. You don't know their situation...yes, it seems bizarre, but...I live an upper middle class life...my daughter is someone any parent would be proud of..my son totally tried to destroy his life with drugs...so out of control, eloped with a crazy girl with 3 children (he was 21, she was 29) went to jail, etc. Unless, you are a fly on the wall...you don't know anything. As far as taxes, we all pay it all, plus gas hikes, racial tension, and OMGbama...just hang in there...we will make it.

Edit:We were lucky because probation let my son move to another state...so he has started over...the drug thing in SoMD is out of control. I recommend Robert Harvey (based in PF on Main Street) if you need a lawyer..he is by far the best. I have decided it isn't parenting that has gone wrong, it is the times we live in. My hub and I joke now about we spent the same amount on both kids...one graduated college with partial scholarships and the other we spent the same amount on lawyers and bail... whatever it takes because you don't turn your back on your children. (Just to let you know..my son was in top 10% of CHS grad class of 2008, Honor Society, Varsity Baseball (pitcher) and Varisty Golf...he came within of an inch of his life of not graduatating because of his stupidness...just a warning to parents of young ones that think everyting is ok. I can go to my grave in peace knowing I did all I could...we never gave up.

Are you familiar with this family and the house that burned? As one that drives by it often, I can say with all honesty that the people living there gave the impression that they were trash. Busted windows, fallen gutters, rubbish in the yard, etc AND the house was notorious for being a drug house. Ask anyone that drove by there and saw the SWAT team surrounding the house what thier impression was! And there were young children in the house to boot. What a way to be raised. This is all they know!
I am glad your son straightened up his life. I know of a young man that recently OD'd and left a broken hearted family and children. He was buying drugs from a house just like this!
You listen to the scanner- people OD all the time in this county! And they are buying drugs someplace. You should be outraged! Esp with the hustory of your son.

mamatutu

mama to two
Are you familiar with this family and the house that burned? As one that drives by it often, I can say with all honesty that the people living there gave the impression that they were trash. Busted windows, fallen gutters, rubbish in the yard, etc AND the house was notorious for being a drug house. Ask anyone that drove by there and saw the SWAT team surrounding the house what thier impression was! And there were young children in the house to boot. What a way to be raised. This is all they know!
I am glad your son straightened up his life. I know of a young man that recently OD'd and left a broken hearted family and children. He was buying drugs from a house just like this!
You listen to the scanner- people OD all the time in this county! And they are buying drugs someplace. You should be outraged! Esp with the hustory of your son.

You are right, ff. My son was getting his drugs from somewhere, obviously, and yes, it does outrage me. I don't know the neighborhood or people where this fire happened. I was just venting my own frustration because for a long time my family was being judged for my son's problem. I know, we are not supposed to care what people think, but in SoMd everybody pretty much knows everybody. Thanks for your feedback to help me snap back to reality.

Edit: I am lucky my son is still alive. By rights, he should be dead. Never overdosed but wrecked a car that all that was left uncrushed was the driver's seat, and I know, after the fact, that he had been many times to the seedy parts of DC and Baltimore. I am sorry for the families that did not have the positive outcome that my family was blessed with.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Edit:We were lucky because probation let my son move to another state...so he has started over...the drug thing in SoMD is out of control.

Drugs are out of control everywhere. Moving out of state will not fix your son's problem. Wherever he goes he is still there, and he is the one who sought out, bought, and used the drugs.

mamatutu

mama to two
Drugs are out of control everywhere. Moving out of state will not fix your son's problem. Wherever he goes he is still there, and he is the one who sought out, bought, and used the drugs.

You are right, but at least he has a better chance in a place where he can try to start over without running into people all the time thathe did drugs with, or bought from, or owes money to, or wants to fight them, etc. etc. etc. But, yes, the addiction will always be there, and he is the only one that can keep himself straight.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
You are right, but at least he has a better chance in a place where he can try to start over without running into people all the time thathe did drugs with, or bought from, or owes money to, or wants to fight them, etc. etc. etc. But, yes, the addiction will always be there, and he is the only one that can keep himself straight.

That's right. For someone who truly wants a fresh start, it's smart to move away from negative influences. Like MMDad said, anyone who wants drugs will find them no matter where they live but hopefully your son is ready to remain sober. I'm glad that you don't have your head in the clouds and that you realize it's 100% up to your son get/keep his life in order.