Wrongful termination lawyers in St. Mary's County?

Redwing91

Could anyone recommend a lawyer in the county who deals with wrongful terminations? Do any of them do free initial consultations? I would appreciate any suggestions.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Since Maryland is an AT-Will state, you will have a really hard time being able to prove anything. They can fire you at anytime for any reason.

But please let us know what you did so we can help!

Since Maryland is an AT-Will state, you will have a really hard time being able to prove anything. They can fire you at anytime for any reason.

But please let us know what you did so we can help!

Exactly. They are allowed to fire you to put someone else they know in your position. They are allowed to fire you even if you are on long term medical leave....etc.

SG_Player1974

In accordance with some of the comments above....

You will have a hard time proving wrongful termination UNLESS the termination was based on Racisim or Discrimination.

So.... if you are White and able to work..... you are probably SOL :coffee:

dontknowwhy

Could anyone recommend a lawyer in the county who deals with wrongful terminations? Do any of them do free initial consultations? I would appreciate any suggestions.

If they aren't an absolute useless n*gger, the office slut, or an openly flaming ### trying to nail anything that moves at work...

give it up...Md is an "at will" state & they won't have a case

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
If they aren't an absolute useless n*gger, the office slut, or an openly flaming ### trying to nail anything that moves at work...

give it up...Md is an "at will" state & they won't have a case

I think this means straight creepy ass crackers have little recourse in MD.

SoMDGirl42

or you are a whistle blower and they fire you for that. Or turning someone in for sexual harrassment and they fire you. Or.....

forget it. You are screwed. Those are hard cases to prove.

gemma_rae

You'd be better off if you just follow the former Maryland jobs to Texas.

acommondisaster

We went through this a couple of years ago with our son; we called and wrote to a bunch of lawyers, but they all validated what you're hearing here. You can be fired for anything unless it's racial, sexual or a whistle blower situation.

sm8

You can be fired anytime for anything but unless they have a good reason you can collect unemployment.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
You can be fired anytime for anything but unless they have a good reason you can collect unemployment.
And even THAT is questionable.
My daughter was fired by a subcontractor to a contractor for Geico 'just because' (his words during the subsequent hearing). He had no good reason except that he didn't want to bid on any more contracts to keep her employed (work infringed on his drinking time) so he ~technically~ laid her off, however entered 'fired' as reason for termination.

She was STILL 'penalized' by withholding 5 weeks of unemployment benefits from her because he had entered 'terminated' and she still had to file each week as though she got them. The banty mother hen in me was fired up...but she was re-employed before her 'penalty' was even complete, so we just let it go. :/

officeguy

My daughter was fired by a subcontractor to a contractor for Geico 'just because' (his words during the subsequent hearing). He had no good reason except that he didn't want to bid on any more contracts to keep her employed (work infringed on his drinking time) so he ~technically~ laid her off, however entered 'fired' as reason for termination.

She was STILL 'penalized' by withholding 5 weeks of unemployment benefits from her because he had entered 'terminated' and she still had to file each week as though she got them. The banty mother hen in me was fired up...but she was re-employed before her 'penalty' was even complete, so we just let it go. :/

My experience from the other side of the table has been that the MD division of unemployment will go the extra mile to pay out full benefits and that I have to appeal every decision even on a clear cut termination for cause. They even tried to pay benefits for someone who had given me written notice and had already taked up a new job in a different state.

MarieB

That doesn't sound right. Normally they would have to show some kind of misconduct, cause.

Personally, I think unless you intentionally do something to hurt the employer's business, then some kind of unemployment is warranted.

BernieP

Resident PIA
As far as I know there is no such thing as "Wrongful" termination.
An employer can terminate your services at any time, unless you have a contract that states otherwise (i.e. union).
In most states, if they terminate you "for cause" or simply put, you're fired, you are not eligible for unemployement. Tyopically this goes in front of the unemployment people who decide whether you were terminated for your conduct or simply terminated based on economic conditins (i.e. laid off).