You get the govt you deserve

Hijinx

One of the reasons was communication between intel agencies, investigative agencies, and police forces was broken. If the CIA wanted to get intel to the FBI it had to go through all sorts of legal wranglings to get that info to them. This often stalled information and by the time it go to the other agency it had grown stale (no longer actionable). Read 'Able Danger' and how the DoD failed to get intel to the FBI when they were tracking the 911 terrorists (particularly Atta).

One of big tasks the DHS was given was to consolidate databases that collected terrorist and criminal information (criminal and terrorist tracking, photos, and fingerprints). These databases would be accessible by every federal and LE departments, and no legal loopholes to jump through. This was a huge undertaking. Many of the agencies were keeping paper records and had to scan decades worth of information to get it into these databases electronically.

I would say that this did not require creating an entirely new agency. This could have been assigned to any existing pre-911 agency (the FBI being best equipped for it). It would have required that agency be enlarged some.

But this is what we do when disaster happens. After WWII the 'National Security Act of 1947' gave birth to the Air Force, National Security Council, CIA, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A massive expansion of government.

I believe I said basically the same thing in post number 6.
Homeland Security was another mistake Bush made without seeing the unintended consequences.
Once a Government Agency is formed it grows like Topsy, and they are seldom shut down.

There are other agencies that could be done away with also. The EPA being one of them.

Midnightrider

That is so stunningly wrong I just about spit on the monitor. You and I disagree so often because you really seem not have the first clue about what you are talking about. My god, man!!!
Yep
Homeland Security was another mistake Bush made without seeing the unintended consequences.
Once a Government Agency is formed it grows like Topsy, and they are seldom shut down.

There are other agencies that could be done away with also. The EPA being one of them.
That's not even close to what you said.
Bush really screwed up when he created Homeland Security.

It was created because the FBI , CIA, and other agencies refused to cooperate with each other and share information on terror threats.
Instead of forcing these agencies to work together he created a new agency.
The agencies didn't refuse to cooperate they were hamstrung.

BOP

How so? If they're incompetent, why do we keep sending them back? Would we keep hiring a plumber who didn't represent what we thought we'd asked him to do? If they were incompetent we'd stop allowing what they do in our name and have it reversed and fixed. But, we don't. Because we do have the gummint we want. :buddies:

Think union plumber, and you'll get a better flavor for our lack of choices on the political front.

PsyOps

Pixelated

‘Unintended consequences’? It was everything antithetical to what Bush campaigned on – smaller and limited government. Any rational conservative knows expanding government would have consequences.

But this seems to be the nature of our government – when crisis hits, create another agency or program to handle it.

Vince

I don't understand how passing a bill that allows financing Obama to allow illegal immigrants into the country is helping our Homeland Security.
The Republicans want to stop Obama's illegal amnesty.
So in order to secure America Republicans have to vote money to support Obama's illegal, Unconstitutional amnesty program?And of course Democrats are right in line with Obama giving the country away to anyone who wants to roam across our borders.
If that's Homeland security F**k it Close it down.
:yeahthat: But people like tj are probably OK with it. I don't really know as I've had her/him on ignore forever. :lol: Can't stand to read her liberal crap.

I don't understand how passing a bill that allows financing Obama to allow illegal immigrants into the country is helping our Homeland Security.
The Republicans want to stop Obama's illegal amnesty.
So in order to secure America Republicans have to vote money to support Obama's illegal, Unconstitutional amnesty program?

And of course Democrats are right in line with Obama giving the country away to anyone who wants to roam across our borders.
If that's Homeland security F**k it Close it down.

What bill are you talking about that would "allow illegal immigrants into the country"?