Your thoughts on Paul Hill execution?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let's don't confuse "forgiveness" with moving on with your life and leaving the past behind. To me, forgiving means exoneration. You forgive a debt. A friend inadvertantly hurts you in some way and you forgive them. It cleans the slate.

But some slates can never be clean, nor should they be. In the case of murderers, rapists and child molestors, I think you forgive at your own peril. They typically don't care if you forgive them or not and will victimize you again, given the chance.

If some bastard hurt one of my kids, I'd never forgive them. I might be able to put it behind me and go on with life, but I wouldn't wipe the slate clean and become their penpal or anything.

The death penalty serves one purpose and one purpose only: to ensure that that particular predator will never victimize anyone ever again. Just because one victim forgives them doesn't mean the next one will.

JackieY

Originally posted by vraiblonde
What are some other reasons? Because I don't believe taxpayers should be forced to support criminals. That's just wrong. Why should I have to pay for this guy's room and board, food, entertainment, etc.? Not to mention his legal fees for endless appeals and imagined civil right s violations.

Most, if not all, criminals won't get a "rest" anyway - certainly they will go straight to Hell. Unless God wants a bunch of rapists and murderers hanging around.

Haven't read the rest of the posts yet, so I'm not sure if someone's mentioned it already. According to the Crim J courses I took, it actually costs more to send a man to death row then to just sentence him to life in prison. So if it's an issue of cost, you really need to argue another point. (I know, it was hard for me to believe also).

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by JackieY
According to the Crim J courses I took, it actually costs more to send a man to death row then to just sentence him to life in prison.

This just supports my theory that lethal injection is not the answer. We should just put them in a room with captured poisonous snakes. Hey, they’ll even dispose of the bodies for us eventually!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by JackieY
So if it's an issue of cost, you really need to argue another point.
It's not so much the cost as what I'm willing to pay for. I'm not willing to pay for some criminal's special dietary needs and medication, or his Playstation and HBO. I am willing to pay for his extermination.

JackieY

It's not so much the cost as what I'm willing to pay for. I'm not willing to pay for some criminal's special dietary needs and medication, or his Playstation and HBO. I am willing to pay for his extermination.

Dig it. I'm right there with you. I wish I could remember the authors' names, but there was this book "The Death Penalty"(simple enough), that was written by two people. One for and one against. It was a great read. At the begining of the book they both set up the reasons for their stances on the issue. Then they would rebut each other's reasons. When I think of their names, I'll tell you.

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
IMHO

I think George Carlin was onto something with "State Prison Farms"...

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
Any thoughts, anyone, about the murders? About Hill's theory of "justifiable homicide"--which is the rationale he uses for killing the two men? About capital punishment?

Murder is "UNjustifiable homicide." In our justice system, the only time homicide is justifiable is in self-defense. This can be expanded to protecting your family within your home. Deadly force cannot be used if you do not directly fear for your life, or to protect personal property. (If someone's stealing your car, you better not run out of the house and cap them.) This crime was cold-blooded murder.

So, even though this whacko can justify this murder within his own extremist views, thankfully, those views aren't a factor in our justice system. The living beings terminated by the abortionist is within the law, and the whacko terminating the abortionist is not. The guy confessed his guilt, and was proud of killing the abortion doctor.

I'm glad we have both the death penalty and legal abortion.

Good riddance to another extremist.

Bertha Venation

Let's don't confuse "forgiveness" with moving on with your life and leaving the past behind. To me, forgiving means exoneration.
This explains at least partly why you and I differ so. To me, forgiveness isn't exoneration. When I've forgiven, I have said to the other (when I've been able to do it in person), "You hurt me but I no longer bear a grudge." There's more to it than that, but it doesn't make what the person has done, or his/her actions or effects, go away.

It's easier to tell what I mean if I give an example. I had a psychotic lover when I was in college. Her name was Karen, and she was my first girlfriend. Things were nice for months, but she started getting weird on me. For that and for many other reasons, I tried to break up with her. Bad idea. Do the words "I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan" ring any bells? Basically, it was, "I can't live without you, and I won't let you live without me." She attempted suicide once, in her car, with me in it, and another time she held a handgun to my head, said it would be our suicide pact. (If I'd mentioned that a pact involves two willing members, I wouldn't be here.... she didn't much like sarcasm.)

She was the first I forgave, and the hardest. Maybe because the least time elapsed between the three years I was stuck with her and when I began the process that led to my forgiving her. I will still always hurt a little bit because of the things she did to me. But it no longer tears out my soul when I think about that time. I learned from it--both from the miserable time when she was an inevitable part of my life and from the process of forgiving her.

Since I had to cut off contact completely, I wasn't able to offer forgiveness to her face. She is one of the two I've been through this process with that I will never allow myself to be in the same state with again. I don't trust her in the least little bit. Forgiveness did not restore a relationship, not even the friendship of ex-lovers. I don't want that. It was something I had to do because I couldn't let that pain weigh me down forever. In that case forgiveness was my dismissing the miserable cancer she left in her wake. It was demolishing the power I'd allowed her to continue to hold over me.
If some bastard hurt one of my kids, I'd never forgive them. I might be able to put it behind me and go on with life, but I wouldn't wipe the slate clean and become their penpal or anything.
No one, least of all me, would expect you to. The notion's absurd. Read on . . .
The death penalty serves one purpose and one purpose only: to ensure that that particular predator will never victimize anyone ever again. Just because one victim forgives them doesn't mean the next one will.
If nothing else, Vrai, Please at least get this:

With one exception, the people I have forgiven will never be invited back into my life. My mother's gone and I have to say that I do love her. But three are still living and I don't love them; in fact I don't give a flying sh!t about them. I don't want or need them in my life. Forgiveness doesn't equal "everything's everything, come on and be my chum again, let's go out to lunch." All it means is that the power the miserable losers who can't stop hurting other people had over me is gone.

Forgiving them doesn't mean I would want them free from prison, free to hurt someone else. Because I know that my forgiveness isn't some magic healing tonic. A sick, evil b@stard is a sick, evil b@stard and IMO nothing but his death will cure him.

Bertha Venation

The magic words.
:cheesy: Yeah, I thought you'd like that. Who says when he dies is the only thing we differ on.

Let me emphasise once again: forgiveness is a personal decision. It's not for a committee or another individual or the clergy or anyone else to say "You must." It's for you to say whether or not you will. In this whole thread I point the finger at no one.