Quick! Need Accountant Recommendations

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Anybody know some reputable accountants in so Calvert, or St. Mary's?

I called H&R Block, who I used last year, and they said it'd be about $150 to file a W2 for Maryland and Federal with standard deductions? They're open today, so I was going to go ahead.

Unless someone can quickly tell me some good accountants with ballpark estimates of prices that are significantly less than $150.

Anybody? Anybody?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by *archimedes*
The year I bought my home and the year I refied I did them myself. I've done them myself every year except for one, and could have done them that year, too.

Are any of your closing costs deductible? My loan was 0% down, no PMI, but I paid closing costs out of pocket.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We used JRJ in Waldorf last year. We used to do it ourselves, but I have some complicated deductions now, related to self-employment.

I can't remember how much they were, but I wanna say $75. Maybe less, since yours won't be as complicated.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I got a good recommendation for a place in Waldorf and will be heading there. It's $75/return.

You'd have to make an appt., though.

JRJ - 301-843-1624 I've heard good things about them, and am seeing the owner, Jennifer.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by cmcdanal
We used JRJ in Waldorf last year. We used to do it ourselves, but I have some complicated deductions now, related to self-employment.

I can't remember how much they were, but I wanna say $75. Maybe less, since yours won't be as complicated.

We must have posted this at the same time! :high5:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by sleuth14
Are any of your closing costs deductible? My loan was 0% down, no PMI, but I paid closing costs out of pocket.
If you paid points that part is, as is property taxes and interst paid til Dec 31.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by PFgal
I got a good recommendation for a place in Waldorf and will be heading there. It's $75/return.

You'd have to make an appt., though.

JRJ - 301-843-1624 I've heard good things about them, and am seeing the owner, Jennifer.

Care to share your recommendation? :smile:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I always do our taxes, but have never itemized before so I thought it would be wise to have someone do them this year. Depending on how comfortable I am with it, I can use what they do this year as a guide for next year. This year I had a lot of crazy crap going on with construction loans, mortgages, etc... - all of which I've never dealt with. Good luck, Sleuth.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
ohhh.. i thought you were recommending someone besides JRJ

i just made an appt. for this afternoon... returns start at $30
leaving now...

thanks!

K

Kizzy

JRT is really good. I went to tax school with many of the employees there, and I was also offered a job at JRT. At that time, H&R Block was a much larger business with much more clout, so I went to work for H&R Block. After working for H&R Block, I will say that they charge ridiculous prices, and I would suggest looking elsewhere. Many of the people who prepare your taxes have nothing more than a high school education and a certificate saying they graduated from tax school.

I was an error checker for all the returns prepared in the office. After 2 tax seasons and the hassle of chasing people down to fix the most ridiculous errors, I decided not to return.

K

Kizzy

A common misconception when getting your taxes prepared is that the tax prep workers are Accountants. Many, almost all, are not. Unless they have a CPA title.

Most of your tax prep workers take a 12-week class, twice a week. The cost of the class is roughly $400. H&R Block offers this class in the fall. If you are one of the top students, they will offer you a job. You do not have to accept the job. If you take the class in order to learn how to prepare your own taxes, you can deduct the expense off of your itemized deductions as a tax prep cost. Believe me, I think the $400 investment is well worth the knowledge to prepare your own taxes. Just my 2 cents.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by willie
Let Turbotax walk you through it for $19.

:clap: Agreed. Unless you all think a taxi cab driver that prepares taxes as a part-time/seasonal job is smarter than you.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
JRJ charged me $70 for prep because of my house... rather than $30, and they want $25 to e-file. Can I e-file it myself and is it difficult?

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by IM4Change
A common misconception when getting your taxes prepared is that the tax prep workers are Accountants. Many, almost all, are not. Unless they have a CPA title.

Most of your tax prep workers take a 12-week class, twice a week. The cost of the class is roughly $400. H&R Block offers this class in the fall. If you are one of the top students, they will offer you a job. You do not have to accept the job. If you take the class in order to learn how to prepare your own taxes, you can deduct the expense off of your itemized deductions as a tax prep cost. Believe me, I think the $400 investment is well worth the knowledge to prepare your own taxes. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, IM4...big difference here. I talked to H&R last year about taking the same class and they said they were only charging $100. Wonder what's up with the huge price difference??