Puppy Seizures

Blondie76

Does anyone know why a 2 month old puppy might have seizures? My mom got a Shih Tzu puppy a couple of weeks ago for my younger sister. It started having seizures last Friday and has had them everyday since then. Sometimes 10 a day. She took it to the vet and they did blood work. The only thing that was wrong with her was her blood sugar was low. She had one right after they left the vet so my mom turned around and took her right back. They did blood work again and her blood sugar was fine. They said maybe it was her liver. So my mom took her back to the vet on Monday and the pup stayed there all day so they could observe her and do some more blood work. They couldn't really find anything wrong with her, and she kept having seizures so they drugged her up. She had even more yesterday so they recommended some doggy neurologist up in Silver Spring. So my mom took her up there and she stayed the night so they could run some tests on her today. They said it might be something they can't fix and that she will more than likely need to be put to sleep. And b/c she's had so many seizures she more than likely has brain damage now.

I know it would probably be best for them to put her to sleep b/c she's hurting so bad. Everytime she has one she starts crying afterwards b/c her muscles hurt and she can barely walk, let alone eat or drink water. I just wanted to know what could cause this. Is this something common for Shih Tzu's? It's just so heartbreaking to see her like this. :sad:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
seizures

My Pom has seizures and is on meds for it. No known cause. It's like epilepsy. It is very common in small dogs. Vet told me same thing about the brain damage because oxygen isn't going to the brain during seizures. It's so sad b/c there's nothing you can do for them while they are in seizure. If she is having that many, she may have to be put to sleep. Mine only has about 1 every 2-3 months. If your mom bought her from a reputable breeder that guaranteed the health, she should get all her money back and maybe even help with the vet bills.
The internet has a lot of articles about dog seizures if you want to do some more research. So sorry to hear about the puppy, I hope she gets better. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jameo

What?!
I don't know anything about the seizures, but I would definitely
give who ever she got the pup from a call.

Blondie76

Thanks Fancy. From what I understand the pups mom and dad are related in some sort of way. Maybe first cousins or something like that, or half siblings - so that might have something to do with it. I think there were 4 in the litter. My moms pup was the runt of the litter. 1 of the other pups has a heart murmur not sure about the other 2. The breeder offered to give my mom one of the other 2 pups but they will probably have the same problems. My mom said she probably couldn't handle another pup especially after all this. If they can get the pup to have just 1 seizure a month my mom can handle that, but 10 a day is crazy. I think they will find out today what is going on with her and they will go from there.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
seizures

Originally posted by Blondie76
From what I understand the pups mom and dad are related in some sort of way. Maybe first cousins or something like that, or half siblings - so that might have something to do with it.

That has everything to do with it! They were inbred. I hope your mom gets all her money back. What a dam shame.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: seizures

Originally posted by FancyBelle
That has everything to do with it! They were inbred. I hope your mom gets all her money back. What a dam shame.

It's not uncommon to breed girl pups back to their dad dogs. It is done in champion breeds all the time to maintain the pureblood.

I had several prize beagles when I was a kid that were offspring of a dad dog and his daughter dog.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: seizures

Originally posted by sleuth14
It's not uncommon to breed girl pups back to their dad dogs. It is done in champion breeds all the time to maintain the pureblood.

I had several prize beagles when I was a kid that were offspring of a dad dog and his daughter dog.

NOT. It's called inbreeding and there is a more diverse form called linebreeding but you have to be extremely careful. Breeders are getting aways from these practices in order to gain a larger gene pool.

Regarding the seizures. I fostered a litter of pups and had one left. At 8 weeks, Dolly was taken back to the shelter to be put up for adoption. I'd hand raised the whole litter. She went to the shelter, got her shots and was wormed. About 2 hours went had a horrific seizure, followed very shortly by another one. The shelter sent her to a vet and he called me. Said he was going to put her down. I said absolutely not, this was a baby to me. I retrieved her, took her to my own vet. He said we would watch her but the stress of the shots, worming and being separated from me could have caused the seizures. So we waited. I kept her another month...no seizures and I found a great home for her. She lived a very long, seizure-free lift. Just a thought...

Moving forward about 10 years and a new vet, my Golden used to suffer seizures..for about 3 years as did my lab mix. The vet put my Golden on phenobarbital but he was a zombie. I stopped the drugs and changed foods. I went to Iams. I can't recall the last time either dog had a seizure.

I'd suggest you do some research on the internet, there are many factors which can cause the seizures.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
seizures

Originally posted by cattitude
NOT. It's called inbreeding and there is a more diverse form called linebreeding but you have to be extremely careful. Breeders are getting aways from these practices in order to gain a larger gene pool.

Thanks, cat, I thought so, but wasn't quite sure. It just didn't sound right to me. You just don't inbreed!!
Mine has the seizures when she's extremely excited or scared. Pheno has helped, but we're still trying to determine the correct dosage. I learned a LOT from researching the internet.

Blondie76

Re: Re: Re: seizures

He said we would watch her but the stress of the shots, worming and being separated from me could have caused the seizures.

I thought this may have contributed to it as well. I don't remember exactly when she got all her shots - it was either last week or the week before. But I don't think she had a reaction right after the shots. My mom said she was lethargic but she didn't say anything about seizures, but she could of had them.

Another question - how long are breeders suppose to keep pups? I heard 6 weeks. I think my mom got her at 2 weeks.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
seizures

Another question - how long are breeders suppose to keep pups? I heard 6 weeks. I think my mom got her at 2 weeks.

I think it is 8 weeks at the minimum, but sometimes they will let them go at 6 for the larger breeds.

Blondie76

Just got an e-mail from my stepdad - didn't get all the specifics, but apparently whatever they found out it wasn't good...they are going to put her down today. He's going to pick up my sister then pick up Tink and they are going to go to the vet in St. Charles right after that. I can't even see her to say good-bye to her, he said he doesn't want to wait b/c it's just too hard. :sad:

This sucks. :bawl:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Blondie, sorry to hear about the pup. The pup was two weeks old when your mother got it? :yikes: Ridiculous. There is a law in Maryland that they can't be sold until 8 weeks. I'd report the breeder to somebody, can't think who right now and I'd demand my money back. Did they get a health guarantee?

Blondie76

Blondie, sorry to hear about the pup. The pup was two weeks old when your mother got it? :yikes: Ridiculous. There is a law in Maryland that they can't be sold until 8 weeks. I'd report the breeder to somebody, can't think who right now and I'd demand my money back. Did they get a health guarantee?

I'm pretty sure it was 2 weeks old. Don't know about the health guarantee. I know the breeder was going to give another pup to her for free. I spoke to my mom a few minutes ago and she said that there was nothing they could do - and she would of had to live with the seizures. I'm going to meet them when they go to the vets so I can say my good-byes and be w/ my mom and sister and my stepdad (I think he's taking it the hardest). The neurologist said that the vet can do an autopsy on the dog to find out what was wrong with her. I don't think my mom will go for it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'm pretty sure it was 2 weeks old. Don't know about the health guarantee. I know the breeder was going to give another pup to her for free. I spoke to my mom a few minutes ago and she said that there was nothing they could do - and she would of had to live with the seizures. I'm going to meet them when they go to the vets so I can say my good-byes and be w/ my mom and sister and my stepdad (I think he's taking it the hardest). The neurologist said that the vet can do an autopsy on the dog to find out what was wrong with her. I don't think my mom will go for it.

Sad, so hard to lose a pet. I wouldn't bother with the autopsy...more expense and may not tell you anything. I'd be very wary of that breeder, though.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Sad, so hard to lose a pet. I wouldn't bother with the autopsy...more expense and may not tell you anything. I'd be very wary of that breeder, though.

:yeahthat: There's got to be someone they can report the breeder to. Imbreeding like that has got to be considered inhumane. I'd definately not take another pup.

Blondie76

Originally posted by pixiegirl
:yeahthat: There's got to be someone they can report the breeder to. Imbreeding like that has got to be considered inhumane. I'd definately not take another pup.

Yeah - my mom is definately not taking another one. She's afraid it might happen again and she can't go through that twice. I don't know what's gonna happen w/ the breeder.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Re: seizures

:shrug: I'm not an expert...
I just know that my old beagle pups were in a litter born from a daughter-father breeding... and they were champions.

I didn't realize there was an art to it.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Just got an e-mail from my stepdad - didn't get all the specifics, but apparently whatever they found out it wasn't good...they are going to put her down today.

AAwwww, I'm so sorry to hear that. What a bad situation all around. :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: Re: Re: seizures

Originally posted by sleuth14
[BI didn't realize there was an art to it. [/B]

That's okay Sleuth. You'd be suprised how many "breeders" don't have a clue.