Got my Plants!!! Woohooo

Kirsten

Ok went out Friday evening with a friend and we had a blast. Got a Bromeliad- Vreisia;Annie, Peace Lily, and a Cyclamen. She got an African Violet, Scheffelera, Reigers Begonia and a few other foliage ones. We have split them and are trading them back and forth.

I also picked up some herb seeds and have them in my kitchen window sill. Lavender, Mint, Thyme, Oregano, Genovese Basil, and Garlic flavored Chives. I am really happy that I can have these lovelies in my house and have places to put them where the cats and kids can't get them.

Kirsten

Originally posted by jazz lady
:clap: Sounds like you're all set! You'll have to post a picture if you can.

I will when the Bromeliad opens, has a lovely spike ready to open any day now. I moved it to my bathroom, more light and definitely higher humidity. Oh and I forgot to add I found a decent Aloe plant as well over at Walmart.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Hmmm...I didn't think bromeliads needed much light.

I have a variegated pothos, spider plant, an aloe plant with lots of babies, and three african violets. You're welcome to a cutting or plantlet from any of them.

I want to get some forsythia bushes. Did you see good prices on them anywhere?

Kirsten

Lowes is where I hit Friday night, didn't see any in their outdoor nursery yet. I have two in my front yard, wish I could remember how to propagate them because I would love to help ya out. If I see any I will let ya know. I will probably be heading back to Lowes later for some veggies to grow in pots.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was in Wal-Mart Sunday night and saw they were starting to get their outside plants set up, so I might tool around on Friday and look for them there and at Lowe's.

Originally posted by Kirsten
Lowes is where I hit Friday night, didn't see any in their outdoor nursery yet. I have two in my front yard, wish I could remember how to propagate them because I would love to help ya out. If I see any I will let ya know. I will probably be heading back to Lowes later for some veggies to grow in pots.
I think all you have to do is take a cutting and put it in soil with lots of water and it will root. Not sure though.

Edit to add link to how to propagate them The methods are the same for butterfly bushes and forsythia bushes.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by huntr1
I think all you have to do is take a cutting and put it in soil with lots of water and it will root. Not sure though.

I've always used Rootone (sp?) to root cuttings with great results. You roll the cutting in the powder, then plant it in soil. The stuff stimulates the cutting to produce roots. :yay:

Kirsten

Okay I will poke around and see if I can find info on the web, jazz if it is as easy as a cutting then come clip away!

Kirsten

Originally posted by jazz lady
I've always used Rootone (sp?) to root cuttings with great results. You roll the cutting in the powder, then plant it in soil. The stuff stimulates the cutting to produce roots. :yay:

Bone meal and lime can be very effective as well. Rock salt for roses believe it or not.