Shooting Range in St. Marys

Mr. Blue Eyes

Does anyone know of a shooting range in St. Marys? Took my nephew for youth day on Sat. and he definitely needs some target practice. Even better would be someplace where he could take lessons. I have limited time to spend with him due to my schedule and the property where I took him hunting does not allow target shooting.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I was going to make a suggestion until I went to get the link and found this message...

Note from the Secretary:

When approached about being a sponsor, please handle this with a lot of severity. These people who you are sponsoring may be the ones who causes the end of the club. Do NOT sponsor anyone you personally have not shot with and has not demonstrated safe handling of a firearm. These people may be the nicest people you've ever met, but that does not mean that they know how to safely handle a firearm. Remember, these people will be out there, unsupervised with a firearm. If you wouldn't feel safe with them shooting unsupervised with your children, do NOT sign for them.

Over the years...I've seen a few idiots there myself and have packed up to leave because of their carelessness. Most people follow the rules.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Sharon said:
I was going to make a suggestion until I went to get the link and found this message...
You or I could post the link to the site. He could make arrangements with one of the officers of the club to shoot with them to see if they want to sponsor him.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
"No lessons"

Remember the last time some Dad was there trying to teach his kid to shoot? The Dad wasn't too swift. :twitch:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Sharon said:
"No lessons"

Remember the last time some Dad was there trying to teach his kid to shoot? The Dad wasn't too swift. :twitch:
Does it say that on the site? I am not suggesting that we give lessons. I am suggesting that he could contact one of the officers and they may be able to do something for him.

Mr. Blue Eyes

Sharon said:
"No lessons"

Thats my problem. His dad is not too swift ( my non-hunting parents have raised him). The boy asked me a few weeks ago if I would take him hunting and I agreed with certain conditions. I required that he write an essay explaining respect for the landowners property, gun safety, respect for the animal he was hunting, etc. He did so and I was satisfied with his thoughts. I then took him rabbit hunting the week before the season came in and had him carry his gun, with the breech lock in place, while I worked with the dogs. Both I and my buddy watched how he handled his gun and could find no fault with the way he conducted himself. The problem was that I assumed that his father, who conducts himself exactly the opposite of the way I want this boy to learn, had taught him how to shoot his gun. This was apparently not the case. I had asked him if he could shoot a pie plate at fifty yards and he told me he could so i did not believe that I needed to take him shooting prior to hunting. I was wrong. He told me that evening that he had never fired the gun that he was given for Christmas last year by his father and used Sat. He told me that he had shot a couple of other guns that his father had borrowed in the past and was proficient. I asked about lessons because I am leaving for a two week rabbit, pheasant, quail, and duck hunt to Missouri and Iowa in a couple of days and will not be able to instruct him prior to the upcoming deer season. He has been told by both myself and the person whose property he hunted on that he will need to demonstrate the ability to shoot his gun before he is allowed to hunt again. Also I want him to be involved in an environment that is condusive to establishing habits that will last him the rest of his life. I understand your concerns as I am very particular as to who i hunt with and /or shoot. I would be very open to meeting with an officer of the club you are referring to if that is what it takes. Thanks for your thoughts.

foosballpaul

Vince said:
Even to shoot at Myrtle Grove it requires a hunting license, and pay for a permit to shoot at their range.

You are not required to have a hunting license to shoot at Myrtle Grove. You are required to have a range permit which can be purchased at any location that sells hunting licenses. The price of the range permit is $20.00 regardless if you have a hunting license or not. If the individual is under 18 years old that person is required to have attended a hunter's safety course and be accompanied by an adult who holds a current range permit.