Blood Pressure Question

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
What is your average BP? My BP has consistently run fairly low - never really going over what is considered the norm by traditional standards, averaging under 100/65.

Recently, my BP has started to plummet. Been as low as 80/50, 90/60 and the last check 88/52.

Anyone else have similar low periods of low blood pressure? I have some reasoning behind slight dips (amount of water, certain meds, and so on), just wondering if certain diets etc, can contribute...

If you find me :dead: , I have a good collection of DVDs someone can have! :wink:

THIS WEBSITE info seems pretty straightforward...:yay:

Hypotension

DESCRIPTION:

Hypotension is a condition in which the blood pressure (an index of the body's circulation system) falls below what is considered to be normal. Blood pressure is a relative term that may vary with the patient's age (e.g., lower in infants, 80/40 millimeters of mercury), underlying medical condition, levels of stress, activity, medications and environment.

Blood pressure below 90mmHg systolic or 60mmHg diastolic (a drop in blood pressure) that results in symptoms such as dizziness, fainting (especially upon standing), cold extremities and pallor of skin, all point to Hypotension. However, a person may have normal, Low Blood Pressure without any symptoms, thus requiring no treatment except for observation.

CAUSES:

Shock
Dehydration, Diarrhea, hemorrhage, Diabetes Insipidus, Burns, adrenal insufficiency all lead to a reduced intravascular volume
Cardiac pump failure as seen in Myocardial Infarction, constrictive Pericarditis etc.
Suddenly changing positions from supine to standing (Orthostatic Hypotension-a drop >20mmHg systolic).
Neurological disorders and diseases such as Parkinson's, Diabetes Mellitus, peripheral Neuritis and tabes dorsalis
Medications -- diuretic, antihypertensives, sedatives
Neurally mediated Hypotension occurs during prolonged periods of standing in warm weather, and can also be brought about by emotional stress.

DIAGNOSIS/TREATMENT:

Treat underlying cause -- replace the lost fluids and blood

Assure adequate amounts of salt

Stop the offending medication

Stand up slowly, especially elderly individuals

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Yikes!!!

virgovictoria said:
What is your average BP? My BP has consistently run fairly low - never really going over what is considered the norm by traditional standards, averaging under 100/65.

Recently, my BP has started to plummet. Been as low as 80/50, 90/60 and the last check 88/52.

Anyone else have similar low periods of low blood pressure? I have some reasoning behind slight dips (amount of water, certain meds, and so on), just wondering if certain diets etc, can contribute...

If you find me :dead: , I have a good collection of DVDs someone can have! :wink:
I have high BP, so that won't help. But I have 5 words of SERIOUS advice:

:yikes:
GET TO A DOCTOR, TODAY!
:twitch: :nono: :twitch:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
THIS WEBSITE info seems pretty straightforward...:yay:

Hypotension

DESCRIPTION:

Hypotension is a condition in which the blood pressure (an index of the body's circulation system) falls below what is considered to be normal. Blood pressure is a relative term that may vary with the patient's age (e.g., lower in infants, 80/40 millimeters of mercury), underlying medical condition, levels of stress, activity, medications and environment.

Blood pressure below 90mmHg systolic or 60mmHg diastolic (a drop in blood pressure) that results in symptoms such as dizziness, fainting (especially upon standing), cold extremities and pallor of skin, all point to Hypotension. However, a person may have normal, Low Blood Pressure without any symptoms, thus requiring no treatment except for observation.

CAUSES:

Shock
Dehydration, Diarrhea, hemorrhage, Diabetes Insipidus, Burns, adrenal insufficiency all lead to a reduced intravascular volume
Cardiac pump failure as seen in Myocardial Infarction, constrictive Pericarditis etc.
Suddenly changing positions from supine to standing (Orthostatic Hypotension-a drop >20mmHg systolic).
Neurological disorders and diseases such as Parkinson's, Diabetes Mellitus, peripheral Neuritis and tabes dorsalis
Medications -- diuretic, antihypertensives, sedatives
Neurally mediated Hypotension occurs during prolonged periods of standing in warm weather, and can also be brought about by emotional stress.

DIAGNOSIS/TREATMENT:

Treat underlying cause -- replace the lost fluids and blood

Assure adequate amounts of salt

Stop the offending medication

Stand up slowly, especially elderly individuals

Thanks. I am aware of some of these factors... Just a b!tch nonetheless. Not very many peeps have a similar story, so I thought I'd give it a whirl!

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kwillia again.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Railroad said:
I have high BP, so that won't help. But I have 5 words of SERIOUS advice:

:yikes:
GET TO A DOCTOR, TODAY!
:twitch: :nono: :twitch:

Hey RR,

Saw my neurologist Friday - for the chronic headaches and migraines.. He couldn't do anything for me- other than the occasional Imitrex - due to the low BP.

Dats why I was asking about dietary effects and affects...

Thanks...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
P.s.

I asked if there was a relationship between the chronic headaches and the low BP and he told me that if it were high BP, then yes. But low BP, no.

:shrug:

:dead:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
virgovictoria said:
I asked if there was a relationship between the chronic headaches and the low BP and he told me that if it were high BP, then yes. But low BP, no.

Glad you saw the doc! I take back my previous tirade - you just scared me a bit, that's all! :stupid:

K

Kizzy

I think my BP is thru the roof right now. :ohwell:

About an hour ago, my supervisor comes into my office and handed me back a bunch of cases he reviewed over the weekend. Soon after that, I went to get up and realized my keys were missing. I knew I had them this morning, because I opened the office door with them. I checked my purse, checked my tote, got on my hands and knees and searched the floor, checked the desk, even checked trash cans. I called security to let them know I am missing keys, ran around the office asking everyone if they had seen them and lord behold, my supervisor realized he picked them up and put them in his pocket when he came to drop the cases off.

:tap: I work for a kleptomaniac. :yikes:

He felt really bad about it, but I'm just grateful they turned up.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
I think my BP is thru the roof right now. :ohwell:

About an hour ago, my supervisor comes into my office and handed me back a bunch of cases he reviewed over the weekend. Soon after that, I went to get up and realized my keys were missing. I knew I had them this morning, because I opened the office door with them. I checked my purse, checked my tote, got on my hands and knees and searched the floor, checked the desk, even checked trash cans. I called security to let them know I am missing keys, ran around the office asking everyone if they had seen them and lord behold, my supervisor realized he picked them up and put them in his pocket when he came to drop the cases off.

:tap: I work for a kleptomaniac. :yikes:

He felt really bad about it, but I'm just grateful they turned up.

I'll trade with you! I'll ease your pain, or at least your pressure :biggrin:

:maybeit'llgivemearush: :whistle:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
virgovictoria said:

Just remember docotrs are people too, they can be just as dumb (or wrong)as anybody else..

K

Kizzy

Of course the entire time I'm running around in a panic, I'm getting a rash of dumb arse phone calls, all while have visions of thugs partying it up in my Suburban.

:razz:

I'm starting to feel much better now.

Sheeeeew

Toxick

Splat
virgovictoria said:
What is your average BP?

150/100

Not kidding. Even on medication, my BP is outrageous.

virgovictoria said:

Not sure if it's diet or whatever - but my wife has amazingly low Blood Pressure. We've talked to doctors about it, but they've said, that unless she's experiencing physical symptoms, such as dizziness, fatigue, etc. then the lower the better.

virgovictoria said:

I wouldn't worry about low BP.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
150/100

Not kidding. Even on medication, my BP is outrageous.
You need to go see a different doc.. If they don't agressively treat your blood pressure you can end up seriously dead..

K

Kizzy

itsbob said:
You need to go see a different doc.. If they don't agressively treat your blood pressure you can end up seriously dead..

Not just "dead" but "seriously dead." :roflmao:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Sounds like my eating habits, but it never lowered my BP :shrug:

VV - do you take your BP at the same time of day :shrug:

Yeah, pretty much always mid afternoon...

Toxick - I do have some of the side effects, occasionally... I just started to wonder with the most recent drops to, for example, the 80/50...

All is well in my world, just curious about others. Thanks for the post. Your wife and I can see double in different locations together! :razz: