Ganglion cysts

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Anybody ever have one? What they are. I have one on the top side of my right hand at the base of my middle finger bone right above the wrist that is absolutely killing me. I think hauling my heavy suitcase around the airports recently inflamed it badly. (And no, I don't need any smartazz responses about switching hands. :rolleyes: )

I've read various treatments for them, ranging from the old-fashioned "smash it with a Bible to burst the cyst" to having the cyst aspirated to surgery. Do any of them work to relieve the pain? TIA for any help.

CMC122

Go Braves!
I've had quite a few friends that have had them surgically removed. Nothing else really helped the pain for them:shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
CMC122 said:
I've had quite a few friends that have had them surgically removed. Nothing else really helped the pain for them :shrug:

:bawl: I've never had ANY type of surgery. I've also heard that surgery is no guarantee they won't come back. :frown:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
My youngest had one on her wrist when she was 2 years old. A minor surgery did the trick. :yay: Has never come back..at least not yet.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Smash it with a bible. :lmao:

Seriously, I used to get them. Haven't had one in ages. I never used a bible, but I'd press on them with my thumb until they broke down and went away. Never had one surgically removed.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
jazz lady said:
Anybody ever have one? What they are. I have one on the top side of my right hand at the base of my middle finger bone right above the wrist that is absolutely killing me. I think hauling my heavy suitcase around the airports recently inflamed it badly. (And no, I don't need any smartazz responses about switching hands. :rolleyes: )

I've read various treatments for them, ranging from the old-fashioned "smash it with a Bible to burst the cyst" to having the cyst aspirated to surgery. Do any of them work to relieve the pain? TIA for any help.
I have three. I've had them for about 10 years. 2 on my right wrist and 1 on my left. On the 'underside' of my wrist. They are not large nor are they painful at this point. Maybe they are even another type of cyst? :confused: Guess I will check with the doc on the 21st...

Great post Jazz!! Thanks! :flowers:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Smash it with a bible. :lmao:
Yes, they used to call them "Bible cysts" just for that reason. They took the heaviest book they could find, which was usually the Bible, lay the hand flat on a hard surface, and give it a good whack. :yikes:

Seriously, I used to get them. Haven't had one in ages. I never used a bible, but I'd press on them with my thumb until they broke down and went away. Never had one surgically removed.
It hurts like heck when I press down on it forcefully, but I'll give it a try to see if it reduces any. Anything is better than surgery IMO. Thanks. :smooch:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Suz' said:
I have three. I've had them for about 10 years. 2 on my right wrist and 1 on my left. On the 'underside' of my wrist. They are not large nor are they painful at this point. Maybe they are even another type of cyst? :confused: Guess I will check with the doc on the 21st...
When I bend my hand over, it looks like a pea is under the skin. :twitch: I would definitely get yours checked out to make sure it's nothing serious.

Great post Jazz!! Thanks! :flowers:
TY :huggy:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
jazz lady said:

Get it taken off. I had a cyst (though not that type) removed from my hand today, between the iindex finger and thumb in that fatty part. It hurts now, mildly, and my index finger JUST became not numb, after 8 hours, but now it's gone and I don't have to think about it. Just go, get it done. I'm a firm new believer in if something is bothering me to get it taken care of rather than stress about it or go through any pain.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
BS Gal said:
Get it taken off. I had a cyst (though not that type) removed from my hand today, between the iindex finger and thumb in that fatty part. It hurts now, mildly, and my index finger JUST became not numb, after 8 hours, but now it's gone and I don't have to think about it. Just go, get it done. I'm a firm new believer in if something is bothering me to get it taken care of rather than stress about it or go through any pain.
Oh, not that I'm a fatty. Just wanted to clear that up.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
Just how big is your Bible? :eyebrow:
I have a really BIG one. It is one of those table Bibles that people give as wedding presents. We could meet at the usual place tomorrow and that could be the entertainment. :flowers:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
2ndAmendment said:
I have a really BIG one. It is one of those table Bibles that people give as wedding presents. We could meet at the usual place tomorrow and that could be the entertainment. :flowers:
Please post time and location for all. TIA.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
2ndAmendment said:

:twitch: I think I'll pass. I so don't need to be the night's entertainment - at least not THAT way. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
2ndAmendment said:
Well I think it is only fair that Jazz be the one to set time and place.

Midnight on the 12th of Never at the place "When Hell Freezes Over." :razz: