Shrinking Muscles

D

dems4me

Last Monday they changed my cast on my right arm/wrist/hand and it appeared as though my arm shrunk when I looked at it. They put a new cast on last week and will be on for about 3-4 more weeks before moving then onto a splint. Are their any vitimans or anything I can do or take to prevent my arm from losing all muscles? I really dont want to have to rebuild my arm and have it weak, etc...not to mention I'm a righty and its my right arm. I'm hoping maybe I can nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. I wanted to ask dr. last week but he was rushing around busy, all I got to ask was can I take it in a tanning bed and no one knew the answer to it. Any suggestions to prevent muscle atrophy or distrophy or whatever? :flowers:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
dems4me said:
Last Monday they changed my cast on my right arm/wrist/hand and it appeared as though my arm shrunk when I looked at it. They put a new cast on last week and will be on for about 3-4 more weeks before moving then onto a splint. Are their any vitimans or anything I can do or take to prevent my arm from losing all muscles? I really dont want to have to rebuild my arm and have it weak, etc...not to mention I'm a righty and its my right arm. I'm hoping maybe I can nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. I wanted to ask dr. last week but he was rushing around busy, all I got to ask was can I take it in a tanning bed. Any suggestions? :flowers:

Pretty much your going to lose the muscle It'll come back quicker than you think.

D

dems4me

Bustem' Down said:
Pretty much your going to lose the muscle It'll come back quicker than you think.

Thanks :frown: I've broken both arms before when younger and remember a ball squeezing thing. But dont remember if that was before or after. I cant do that with this cast because its in the palm of my hand as well. I figured typing is good exercise though! :smile: Just wondering if there was ANYTHING else I can do! Thanks! :huggy: :flowers:

PJay

Don't have an answer for your question, Dems. Just want to say sorry to read about your broken arm.

:flowers:

Lilypad

Sorry-

It takes 8 to 12 weeks for the broken arm to heal completely. Rehabilitation and physical therapy involves gradually increasing activities to restore muscle strength, joint motion and flexibility. ..are you going to PT?
I feel for you -I'm just getting over a broken wrist :bawl: -no fun!!!!!!

D

dems4me

Lilypad said:
It takes 8 to 12 weeks for the broken arm to heal completely. Rehabilitation and physical therapy involves gradually increasing activities to restore muscle strength, joint motion and flexibility. ..are you going to PT?
I feel for you -I'm just getting over a broken wrist :bawl: -no fun!!!!!!

My wrist is broken too :lol: :huggy:

Lilypad

So sorry- :huggy:
I tried reading your past posts to discover what happened-went back to the future- :shocking:
My doc told me takes 6-12 mos to get full usage back-UGH! Broke mine 5/21, just when I think Ima doin better, I do sumpin stupid and I see stars :faint:

PJay

Oh no, you broke too, Lily? Sorry.

Be careful and hope you'll heal completely soon!

Lilypad

Thanx Homesick-

I fell in my yard over a month ago-went out to change the H20 for dogs, stepped off edge of sidewalk and fell-crashin to earth...to keep from breakin the sidewalk wid my head, I used my left hand to catch myself-2 breaks at the wrist..big ol inconvenience!

Last edited:

PJay

I was wondering how it happened, thanks for reading my mind.

Stuff happens fast. I bounced and rolled down a flight of stairs once, didn't break a thing. I was lucky.

D

dems4me

Homesick said:
I was wondering how it happened, thanks for reading my mind.

Stuff happens fast. I bounced and rolled down a flight of stairs once, didn't break a thing. I was lucky.

yep, :frown: Asp pushed my UGLY tail of his bike:frown:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
The best you can do with a cast on is isometrics. Tighten up as hard as you can WITHOUT causing pain, release, and repeat.

You are NOT trying to push against the cast. You're tensing up your arm muscles without moving your arm. Do a google search for isometric exercise and read up a little before trying it just to be sure you have the idea down pat.

B

baswm

dems4me said:
Thanks :frown: I've broken both arms before when younger and remember a ball squeezing thing.

So whose balls are you gonna squeeze?

D

dems4me

See!!! These forums work great for advice :huggy: I post a thread and get some help, and someone sent me a pm and that person is a certified physical therapist IRL. Thanks!!!:huggy: These forums are super!!! :clap: :clap: :huggy:

Last edited by a moderator: