help me out, smart folks

bohman

I need a sanity check for an idea. Here's the situation: Our car has a tire that has been patched. Caught a couple of drywall screws in it, so it was a pretty extensive patch job, but it has held for a few months now - but for a slow leak. Started out very slow, but now I need to add 10 psi every couple days, which is getting REAL old since I don't have a compressor at home, just a bicycle pump.

So, the idea: Bleed the tire down almost flat, maybe 5 or 10 psi, and use one of the "fix-a-flat" cans to reinflate it. And hope the sealant catches whatever small leak we have.

Is this a stupid idea? Anybody done this, and did it work?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:
I need a sanity check for an idea. Here's the situation: Our car has a tire that has been patched. Caught a couple of drywall screws in it, so it was a pretty extensive patch job, but it has held for a few months now - but for a slow leak. Started out very slow, but now I need to add 10 psi every couple days, which is getting REAL old since I don't have a compressor at home, just a bicycle pump.

So, the idea: Bleed the tire down almost flat, maybe 5 or 10 psi, and use one of the "fix-a-flat" cans to reinflate it. And hope the sealant catches whatever small leak we have.

How was it patched in the first place, and do you know where the slow leak is??

Mikeinsmd

bohman said:

Fix a Flat works but will throw your tire out of balance.

bohman

itsbob said:
How was it patched in the first place, and do you know where the slow leak is??

Good questions, but the answer is "I dunno" to both of them. I'm aware that there are different methods of patching, and my mechanic did inform me which one he used, but it was several months ago and I just don't remember now. I'm also not certain whether this leak is related; but this tire was not new at the time it was patched and there was never a leak before.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
bohman said:

Best bet is to get another tire. You can buy patch kits at Autozone and what not for pretty cheap.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Mikeinsmd said:
Not if you read and follow the directions on the can :smack:

I've had slow leaks and used the Fix a Flat.
Go where there's an air pump.
Deflate the tire.
Shake the can then hook it up to your tire and spray that stuff in for about 5-10 seconds.
Re-inflate your tire with the air pump and then drive the car for about 15-20 minutes. Driving spreads the rubber gunk evenly around inside the tire and keeps it in balance. Using as little as possible to fix a slow leak will also minimize any change to the balance.

Sheetz (235/Chancellors Run) has a new digital air pump. Set the display to the desired pressure and it automaticly shuts off and ding-ding-dings at the selected pressure. If you want to deflat your tire set it to 5psi and it will do that too.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bohman said:

PM FDDog..

mizteresa1965

Mikeinsmd said:

So true, and especially with these cold temps, any liquid that remains in the tire from the Fix a flat...........freezes like a rock!, personal experience. Also, if the tire is overinflated after you do the Fix a Flat, it could explode once the tire heats up from driving..........ex's personal experience.

bohman

Mikeinsmd said:

See, this is why I posted the question. I've never used fix a flat and didn't know if there were any down-sides to it. (I kinda wondered if it could get into the valve stem and gum it up?) The best solution is simply a new tire, but I have zero extra money and good tires aren't cheap. It's especially annoying that the tread in question is at least 20K miles away from worn out; I HATE replacing a tire that I didn't get full use of. :cheapass:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
mizteresa1965 said:
Also, if the tire is overinflated after you do the Fix a Flat, it could explode once the tire heats up from driving..........ex's personal experience.
They used to use butane as the propellent.

fddog

Bow wow
bohman said:

If the tire has more then 3-4 patches in it, there is a chance the tire is seperated and will continue to leak between plys. Tires are fairly cheap, buy a new one. Fix a flat is unsafe to a tire shop make sure you put the sticker on the rim.

bohman

aps45819 said:
Not if you read and follow the directions on the can :smack:

I've had slow leaks and used the Fix a Flat.
Go where there's an air pump.
Deflate the tire.
Shake the can then hook it up to your tire and spray that stuff in for about 5-10 seconds.
Re-inflate your tire with the air pump and then drive the car for about 15-20 minutes. Driving spreads the rubber gunk evenly around inside the tire and keeps it in balance. Using as little as possible to fix a slow leak will also minimize any change to the balance.

Sheetz (235/Chancellors Run) has a new digital air pump. Set the display to the desired pressure and it automaticly shuts off and ding-ding-dings at the selected pressure. If you want to deflat your tire set it to 5psi and it will do that too.

Now we're getting somewhere! Sounds like this could be worth my effort after all, if I just make sure to do it right. I'm just trying to be careful and not make things worse, or leave my wife stranded somewhere; it's her car with the tire in question.

smoothmarine187

You can use fix a flat......it works great, but when it comes time to buy new tires, most places will charge you extra if you have used that stuff because it makes such a mess. I don't know if they all do it, but I have seen quite a few that do.

mizteresa1965

bohman..........check with some of the tires place too (if you are on a tight budget), sometimes they will replace tires for customers and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the old tires except wear. Or sometimes the customer dosen't like the the way the car rides and gets other new tires, then the tire company is stuck cause it can't resale tires as new even if they only have 500 miles on them. It's worth a shot.

Last edited:

jetmonkey

bohman said:

Someone from the forums will probably just buy you a new tire.

Moonchild

(Moonchilds hubby here, tire afficinado:))

The rubber plugs you buy at Autozone, etc, are indeed really tempory. But a proper plug and patch job done from inside should be fine for the life of the tire, even tire makers accept them if done properly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/tires/pages/TireMaintRepair.htm

In my personal opinion this applies to run of the mills tires driven by regular folks in everyday driving. High performance vehicles with tires rated for high speeds and driven aggressively (not insane, but cornering hard, etc) should be replacements, but thats actually very few people.

M

Mousebaby

Could also be the valve stem leaking, but chances are its your patch job. You really want to trust your wife's life to a can of goo? Go to Curtis Tire on Great Mills rd. He sells used tires with really good tread on them. I think he charges 25.00 and a disposal fee for the old tire. Be a good husband and get her a new tire! :huggy: