‘Negative Depictions’: Disney+ Blocks Children Under 7 From Watching ‘Peter Pan,’ ‘Dumbo,’ Other Classics

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
and the extreme left, we'd just have government approved propaganda.

Isn't that all they consume anyway?

Extra credit for the Harrison Bergeron reference :yay: I sometimes think that our pop culture and news media is a handicap earpiece, disrupting our thoughts so we don't think about things too much.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had a copy of Little Black Sambo growing up. I had no idea what was racist, what was inappropriate. All I remember is trying to figure out how a tiger could turn into butter by running around a tree. That was ALL I was focused on, nothing else. Didn't even question his skin color, because this was set in Africa and most Africans were dark skinned, so it didn't even start to raise a flag.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm seeing Harrison Bergeron in our future.

Forgot about that one but you're right.

Extra credit for the Harrison Bergeron reference :yay: I sometimes think that our pop culture and news media is a handicap earpiece, disrupting our thoughts so we don't think about things too much.

Good analogy. The deafening calliope of the MSM is drowning out any free thought of the masses.

I have to add that one to my reading list.
It's a short story by Kurt Vonnegut. Read it now. Very chilling:

HARRISON BERGERON by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr (tnellen.com)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had a copy of Little Black Sambo growing up. I had no idea what was racist, what was inappropriate. All I remember is trying to figure out how a tiger could turn into butter by running around a tree. That was ALL I was focused on, nothing else. Didn't even question his skin color, because this was set in Africa and most Africans were dark skinned, so it didn't even start to raise a flag.

I didn't equate Sambo to black people either. Having tigers come upon you was fictional enough, then they want to wear your clothes, then they turn into butter. I didn't come away from that story going, "Wow, Sambo is a black person." He could have been green or purple for all it mattered to the story.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll check it when I get home. I was never much of a Vonnegut fan though.

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I always thought Vonnegut was like Gore Vidal - people only say they like him because they think it makes them sound smart and they've never read a word either has written.

SamSpade

TECHNICALLY it is set in India. You don't find tigers in Africa.

SamSpade

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I always thought Vonnegut was like Gore Vidal - people only say they like him because they think it makes them sound smart and they've never read a word either has written.

I read Harrison Bergeron in the seventh grade. We read it in class - that's the way they did things then, each person read a couple paragraphs out loud and then there was discussion. I've read a few other short stories by him -Cat's Cradle and Welcome to the Monkey House - but that's about it. I agree he's like Gore Vidal for the same reasons. I've even read some Hemingway but I find most of his stuff just too damned boring.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ok, so that brings up a whole new thought..... if it was set in India, was Little Black Sambo actually Indian and dark brown? Rendering the black/racist/bias thing moot?

BOP

Which seems like a shame, actually.

Well, except the natives would hunt them to near extinction.

They would then blame rando white hunters participating in authorized, sanctioned "culling" hunts to eliminate older, diseased, or extremely aggressive animals, thereby getting all the bleeding heart pacifist morons of the world all spun up, calling for the hunter (and the hunter's) family's deaths.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ok, so that brings up a whole new thought..... if it was set in India, was Little Black Sambo actually Indian and dark brown? Rendering the black/racist/bias thing moot?

You can't explain that to progbots because they don't know the difference. They refer to Haitians as "African Americans". They think Barack Obama and Kamala Harris are black.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Many decades ago, I cracked open Slaughterhouse 5 at someones suggestion.

I went back to reading Twain, Hemingway and Heinlein.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I cut my early reading teeth on these classics. Probably explains a lot...