10 signs you were in the military

glhs837

Power with Control
Burning Irish pennants while adjusting your gig line.

To quote my Company Commander, an 18 year E-6 who smoked like a chimney and was as grizzled as hell "GODDDAMN COMMUNISTS HAVE A PLOT TO MAKE YOU AL LOOK LIKE SH%^!!!! THEY HIRE PEOPLE AT THE UNIFORM FACTORY TO LEAVE LITTLE THREADS LOOSE!!!! THOSE MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE SH%^!!!!!! YOUR GODDAMNED DUTY IS TO REMOVE THOSE GODAMMNED COMMIE TAGS AND LOOK EFFING SHARP!!!!!"

(this was late 1983, commies were still a bad thing, not yet Presidential candidates)

Misfit

Lawful neutral
To quote my Company Commander, an 18 year E-6 who smoked like a chimney and was as grizzled as hell "GODDDAMN COMMUNISTS HAVE A PLOT TO MAKE YOU AL LOOK LIKE SH%^!!!! THEY HIRE PEOPLE AT THE UNIFORM FACTORY TO LEAVE LITTLE THREADS LOOSE!!!! THOSE MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE SH%^!!!!!! YOUR GODDAMNED DUTY IS TO REMOVE THOSE GODAMMNED COMMIE TAGS AND LOOK EFFING SHARP!!!!!"

(this was late 1983, commies were still a bad thing, not yet Presidential candidates)

:lol:

1983, when they still had Boondockers. :yay:

SamSpade

I'm guilty of a few of these.

the full article

Dad was Naval Academy. I used to have to answer to "Front and center!" when I was in trouble and stand at attention and I had to address dad as sir in such situations until I was about 10.

*Maybe* my mom talked to him, but he eventually lightened up after that. He has a reputation among his co-workers, friends and associates as being a real sweetheart, and - a BIG surprise to me - a *poet*. I guess he had a BIG change somewhere.

molly_21

11. Folding your underwear. I still do that Navy style.

I still do that too.

Always showing up where needing to be 15 minutes early.

I've always been early when I need to be someplace, even before I joined the Navy (maybe because my dad was Air Force and he liked to be early too).

Another sign you were once in the military: a work ethic

Not true. I've worked on base since getting out of the Navy in 1999 and I've seen a lot of prior military who are lazy as F... in the work force as either contractors or Gov't people. I even saw a lot of lazy people even when I was in. You have to pretty much get them to work by making their life miserable. I saw some LPO's let some of them do what they wanted just so they don't have to deal with them. But then the person's eval suffer for it (but some of the people I've worked with really did not care, esp. if they were getting out or transferring to a new duty station).

BOP

When nobody else is around, and you're alone in the house, and you have your socks on, and you happen to be on non-carpeted floor, you come to attention, check to see if your feet are at 45 degrees (forming a 90 degree angle). Then, you practice a few left faces, a few right faces, and, satisfied that you've still "got it," you then do a couple of quick about-faces, just to make sure. Pleased with yourself, you help yourself to your favorite adult beverage, and go back to vegging out.

Or so I hear.

acommondisaster

20 years Navy and I'm not guilty of any of those. I'm polite, I'm prompt, but my parents taught me those things.

I don't understand the sunglasses one, if someone can explain.

The only carryover I can think of is always shouldering my purse on my left arm or shoulder. Well...that and profound love of country.