10 year deer management plan, comments

limblips

PREMO Member
The DNR release a 10 year deer management plan on 8/11 and is soliciting comments. I have Googled everything I could think of and never found the plan. I find news stories on it but not the document. Anyone have a link????????

Vince

Never saw a deer management plan, but they need to up the limit on deer season to thin some of them out. Too many getting hit by cars.

Cowgirl

I just read the article about this yesterday. Deer numbers are down a good bit. I haven't read the 10 yr plan though.

yankee44

On the way to work this morning I pulled over and counted the deer in this one field on 234, there were 28 of them.

I wonder if they would let me hunt there?

T

toppick08

On the way to work this morning I pulled over and counted the deer in this one field on 234, there were 28 of them.

I wonder if they would let me hunt there?

Just roll the window down........:coffee:

:lol:

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
The bottom of page 16 is one that everyone that hunts needs to realize and take into consideration, The recruitment and education of new hunters is extremely important and needs special attention.
Hunting is a tradition that has been passed down between generations and has always been a way of life in this country.
Recent days, hunting has taken a turn for the worse and has become so trophy driven that it actually turns new and interested persons away from the "sport"
If hunting were to continue to be a successful management tool and not be deemed to detrimental to itself, we need to focus on sharing the actual hunt or the outdoor opportunity with new and interested parties.

The other downside is that hunting has recieved too many black eyes and has too negative a reputation in most non-hunter circles. It has been deemed an unsafe practice regularly exercised by drunkien gun toting rednecks. Folks need to steer away from the kill and talk about hunting in its natural light. While the kill is a very large part of hunting and is inevitably the outcome, many folks are turned off by it.

While its not often the case, many people do not adhere to law abiding hunting education standards and follow unethical and unsafe practices which can cause either land owner problems, injury, animal cruelty, or even death.

More or less, if we work harder not to be viewed as jackasses in the eyes of the public, more folks would want to hunt.

Take a kid hunting.

Your pal
~Fishn

bulldog

True points Fishn, but I believe that there are also a lot of good, honest, law abiding hunters out there that can't find a place to hunt so they give up. It's sort of a double edged swoard in some respects; the farmers complain about crop damage problems, but then want to charge a potential hunter $30.00 per acre to lease property to hunt. That gets to be expensive. For a few of the larger farmers here, with some of the biggest tracts of land to hunt, it's an enterprise for them and they make good money off of out of state hunters so they won't allow the local guy/gal to hunt their property and ergo that local is loses interest in a hurry.
Of course we do have public grounds available for hunting and we're lucky in that respect as a lot of areas are not as fortunate. However, public land does not have much of a draw because of the heavy numbers / competition among hunters.
I'm lucky enough to have two nice farms to hunt, but I work my tail off to retain those privileges by doing a lot of chores for the owner, managing the other hunters and I also give him about 1/4 of anything I kill. I'd rather do that than pay out cash.
Hunting today is tough...do doubt about it, but at the same time some potential hunters think they have a "right" to hunt others' property just for the asking.

P.S. Crop damage hutning this weekend so wish me luck. :whistle:

The bottom of page 16 is one that everyone that hunts needs to realize and take into consideration, The recruitment and education of new hunters is extremely important and needs special attention.
Hunting is a tradition that has been passed down between generations and has always been a way of life in this country.
Recent days, hunting has taken a turn for the worse and has become so trophy driven that it actually turns new and interested persons away from the "sport"
If hunting were to continue to be a successful management tool and not be deemed to detrimental to itself, we need to focus on sharing the actual hunt or the outdoor opportunity with new and interested parties.

The other downside is that hunting has recieved too many black eyes and has too negative a reputation in most non-hunter circles. It has been deemed an unsafe practice regularly exercised by drunkien gun toting rednecks. Folks need to steer away from the kill and talk about hunting in its natural light. While the kill is a very large part of hunting and is inevitably the outcome, many folks are turned off by it.

While its not often the case, many people do not adhere to law abiding hunting education standards and follow unethical and unsafe practices which can cause either land owner problems, injury, animal cruelty, or even death.

More or less, if we work harder not to be viewed as jackasses in the eyes of the public, more folks would want to hunt.

Take a kid hunting.

Your pal
~Fishn