10 Year Smoke Detectors

imaref

Two years ago I installed 5 units of the new 10 year smoke detectors. Last night at 3AM I got the dreaded battery chirp from one of them (so much for a 10 year battery). Luckily when I installed them, I cut off the front of the box and kept it along with the receipt and the paper manual.

I called the 800 number (they are First Alert brand) and gave them all of the info and they are sending out a new one to replace it. I told the nice lady that I have 4 others and asked if they are all covered. She said they are all guaranteed for 10 years and if anything goes wrong during that time they will replace them for free.

My point--make sure if you buy 10 year smoke detectors that you keep all of the paperwork so you don't have to drop money to replace the ones that don't last 10 years--just call the customer service number. I have a feeling I will be calling multiple times...

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
How come that always happens in the middle of the night?
Always. And what's even worse... I have some of the alarms that "talk", give a verbal warning for smoke/CO. When you hear someone talking in the middle of the night, can't figure out where it's coming from, is intermittent, and just loud enough to be heard but not understood.... REALLY creepy....

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Always. And what's even worse... I have some of the alarms that "talk", give a verbal warning for smoke/CO. When you hear someone talking in the middle of the night, can't figure out where it's coming from, is intermittent, and just loud enough to be heard but not understood.... REALLY creepy....
Yeah, I think I'd get rid of the "talkies". Voices in the night when you live alone and you're half asleep, aren't conducive with proper mental health.

PeoplesElbow

Same here, I had one packed away in a box that i forgot about and heard a muffled "battery low" i thought i had an intruder, grabbed my gun and started searching the house.

1stGenSMIB

Don't these 10 year units have a manufacturing date? I would HOPE First Alert or whomever would accept that if the damn thing is chirping at anything before 10 years. I hate saving 8 million receipts and boxes.:mad: (but, thanks for the tip and good customer service.)

stgislander

PREMO Member
The 10-year battery law is a little confusing. When I purchased my home back in 2007, the smoke alarms were hardwired with 9V battery backup. Am I required under the law to replace them with 10-year battery models or can I still use 9V battery models?

Tech

The 10-year battery law is a little confusing. When I purchased my home back in 2007, the smoke alarms were hardwired with 9V battery backup. Am I required under the law to replace them with 10-year battery models or can I still use 9V battery models?
Since the law has been around for awhile, are the replaceable battery models still available in local stores since the market is shrinking?

imaref

Since the law has been around for awhile, are the replaceable battery models still available in local stores since the market is shrinking?
NO you do NOT have to according to the law: "A new Maryland state law aimed at reducing home fire deaths went into effect on July 1, 2013. It requires replacement of any battery-only operated smoke alarm that is more than 10 years old with a unit powered by a 10-year sealed-in battery – ultimately affecting the more than 800,000 Maryland homes with battery-operated smoke alarms."

HOWEVER, the life expectancy of ANY smoke alarm is 10 years, so if you want to keep the hard-wired ones (and since they've been there since 2007) it would make sense to replace them. I decided rather than replace mine (which were hardwired as well) I filled out the form on the Bay District VFD website and they put in new 10 year battery ones for free (one downstairs hallway, one upstairs hallway). I decided at that time to have them place 4 additional ones (one in each of the bedrooms--they charged $20 each including both the alarms and the installation). I thought it was well worth it. Here is the link to have them install the free ones:

PeoplesElbow

I always had a hard time installing the 9v into the wired connector while on a ladder. I really like the ones that take AAs instead.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I always had a hard time installing the 9v into the wired connector while on a ladder. I really like the ones that take AAs instead.
Most of the ones I've installed take less than a 1/4 turn to take down, replace batteries, and twist back on.

PeoplesElbow

Most of the ones I've installed take less than a 1/4 turn to take down, replace batteries, and twist back on.
Even when taken down I can't get the damn connector to snap off or onto the 9v battery half the time.

I tried not to take down the ones at my moms because whoever put them up did a really poor job with the anchors in the ceiling, her house has a beautifully textured ceiling that I didn't want to mess up by having to redo anchors.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I tried not to take down the ones at my moms because whoever put them up did a really poor job with the anchors in the ceiling, her house has a beautifully textured ceiling that I didn't want to mess up by having to redo anchors.
I had a similar problem, got some of these medallions to cover the mess. They have some pretty ornate ones, can be painted.