100 PMU foals have deadline of Novemer 30th before they are headed to slaughter

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i wouldn't call these babies "rescues". They're a marketable commodity, and the money paid for them is not chump change.

Like has been stated before, there are absolutely gorgeous, well bred young horses, who ARE well socialized, handled, and cared for currently on the market for much less than these are available for, that can't be sold because there are so many "rescues" flooding the market and readily available. That's the shame of it all. These certainly ARE mass produced babies.

I don't understand why there are STILL PMU foals available 2 years after the fact that PMU farms have been shut down. Equine Gestation is only 11 months. Why wouldn't production have been self limiting?

And there IS an alternative...synthetic Premarin.

Last edited:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
happyappygirl said:
I don't understand why there are STILL PMU foals available 2 years after the fact that PMU farms have been shut down. Equine Gestation is only 11 months. Why wouldn't production have been self limiting?

And there IS an alternative...synthetic Premarin.

My thoughts exactly! Will it ever stop?

mags1320

HorseLady said:
Okay, I'm going to play devils advocate here (here comes the red Karma - OOOhhhh nnnnnooooo!!!). They are asking $1000 to $1850 for these rescued foals.... Folks around here have babies they can't sell for $500! Nice registered babies too! Lets multiply 1200 by 100 - thats $120,000. Not a bad payday for a rancher who already is making money off the mama's urine with his PMU contract. You can load alot of weanlings in a two or three trailers, and ship them to a central location, pay $20 per head for a coggins and still be seeing a good profit. I understand the rescue doesn't want to see these babies going to a sale but neither does the rancher. At the sale he'd be getting $150 to $200 per head. Kudos to those who step up and help in this situation but I wonder what the rescue would respond to these questions. Just my thoughts....

I have to agree with you, I would love to adopt one or two of them but at $1000 + per foal I can't afford that. I bought my gelding for $100 and he is double registerable, (which is only going to cost $400). I rescued my mare for free. I understand there's a cost for shipping but still.....'m sorry if I've offended anyone but if they really didn't want them to go to slaughter, you would think they'd be more willing to deal to get these horses placed.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
mags1320 said:
I have to agree with you, I would love to adopt one or two of them but at $1000 + per foal I can't afford that. I bought my gelding for $100 and he is double registerable, (which is only going to cost $400). I rescued my mare for free. I understand there's a cost for shipping but still.....'m sorry if I've offended anyone but if they really didn't want them to go to slaughter, you would think they'd be more willing to deal to get these horses placed.

:howdy: Wow I think we are all in agreement...Could it be?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I agree.....

I have a registered weaner..Paso..halter broke..ties..up to date on wormings..feet etc...Lovabe and wants to be with people and I want the same for him $ wise and I dont have anybody knocking on my door for him.

mags1320

where is this sale you're talking about and is there another one???!!! sorry, somewhat new to the PMU situation and I would love to help but definitely can't spen $1000+.
Thanks,
Maggie