13 scientists say Climate Change is real.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
But, we, the people, having learned the basics about things like 'hypothesis' and the fundamental, basic scientific method therein, as kids, should here these people as saying "I have some really nice snake oil for sale. It's good for everything. Trust me." and reject it, out of hand. This sort of nonsense should be treated as nonsense, reflexively.

If they really taught science in schools these days, that would be true.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If they really taught science in schools these days, that would be true.

'Hypothesis' is no longer taught? Scientific method, the base, is no longer taught?

"To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning"

PsyOps

Pixelated
But, we, the people, having learned the basics about things like 'hypothesis' and the fundamental, basic scientific method therein, as kids, should here these people as saying "I have some really nice snake oil for sale. It's good for everything. Trust me." and reject it, out of hand. This sort of nonsense should be treated as nonsense, reflexively.

That’s where it all falls apart for us, for society… These snake oil salespeople know there are a lot of low information people out there that would rather have someone else do their thinking for them. Humans seem to love hearing from an emotional standpoint. They want something to make them feel good, to matter. Gosh, if I can control the environment, well that’s a big deal. I’ll do everything I can to save the world. Everything else they learned growing up went out the window.

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
'Hypothesis' is no longer taught? Scientific method, the base, is no longer taught?

"To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning"

Have you spoken to many public high school graduates lately? Ask some how the scientific method lead to the current ideas about global cooling/warming/change.