1987 Shelby Charger GLHS

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The last few years of Chrysler’s partnership with Carroll Shelby produced some amazing performance car bargains, especially in second- or third-hand form. This 1987 Shelby Charger GLH-S is just $8,700, yet its performance is still more than respectable today and it has just 52,000 miles on the clock. While some of these Shelby-modified Chargers are still wrapped in the dealer plastic with under 3,000 original miles on the clock (and thus, expensive), cars like this are far more affordable but still present quite well. The seller notes the GLH-S also benefits from lots of recent maintenance, and the interior is darn near spotless. Find it here on craigslist in Laguna Niguel, California.

glhs837

Power with Control
Thats the one...... I have the dash plaque for #837 still tucked away. Only owned mine for a short time before I had to put it down since the entire unibody was more rust than metal. Fun facts. A left lant change was a simple downshift and hammer drop away :)
The extra power could overwhelm the stock engine mounts, allowing the alternator contacts to hit some metal in the bay. Shelby added a shield to keep this from happening. If that shield got removed, a WOT romp in 3rd could fry every fusible link in the engine harness, I think seven of them.... :) Fun to replace, seeing as they nestled in a 3 inch gap between the left shock tower and some other obstruction.

All Dodge badging was removed as they were legally manufactured by Shelby.

Shift knobs were custom made for the cars by I think an italian company. Dodge stocked them, I managed to find one of the last in inventory around the year 2000 at a dealership in Jersey.

One of the big issues was that trans. It was strong enough, but long throws and clunky as hell. I dont think I would buy another one, but it is an interesting side note in the history of hot hatches. People gaga over the Rabbit and Gti, these cars would make them go home crying.

Grumpy

Had one, probably one of the quickest cars I've had. Wife blew the engine at 3000 miles, got a new engine under warranty. Had it 1.5 years, With young kids, wife wanted a van, so traded it for a GMC van. Got a good deal from a dealer in Montgomery county, but day after we signed the deal, the dealer called and said they made a mistake and gave too much for our trade in and wanted another 1K..Told em, sue me and never heard from them again.

glhs837

Power with Control
I am glad that some of the engineers involved in making this car got to make the ultimate expression of it with the SRT4. Sadly SRT get out of the business of small cars after that but at least they had one last hurrah.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Had the Omni GLH in Germany. Before we left got to take the catalytic converter off.. no unleaded gas in Europe yet. Germans had a similar car called the Simca but it was NOT a performance model, though some of the engineering was better.