1995 OBD 1.5 Code Retrieval

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Due to changing needs, I've downsized my C2500 to an 1995 S-10 4 cyl 5-spd. While going over the truck prior to putting it on the road, I've discovered GM had a bastard year for retrieving codes and of course, that's what I've got.

My SIL bought the truck new, my son acquired it, he traded it, new owner did a lot of things to it that Cobb Island Boys are wont to do, then I got it back in the family through some creative horse trading.

My OBD II scanner didn't connect. I've discovered some OBD 1.5 GM vehicles can display OBD I Codes by jumping #5 and #6 pins in what appears to be an OBD II socket. This thread will stand to document my trials into retrieving GM OBD 1.5 codes in hopes that it may help others maintain their bastard trucks.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Did you get what you needed from the scan?

I just got a new OBD scanner and have been playing with it. You're welcome to try it on your truck if you want.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I just got a new OBD scanner and have been playing with it. You're welcome to try it on your truck if you want.
Thanks Sneakers! Yes I did. It shows a code 32 which translates to the EGR valve malfunctioning. The Cobb Island Boy had cut the exhaust off in front of the cat and hung an Auto Zone resonator on the end. This engine requires slight back pressure to run properly, so I installed a complete Walker system and an eBay cat. I've already diagnosed vacuum leaks galore and I'm currently replacing all vacuum lines and the vacuum ball. It's been running without vacuum for at least 2 years, as my brother replaced the climate control switch trying to solve the problem. Open vacuum lines cause all sorts of crazy crap to happen.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've never been able to read the OBD codes on my 1995 Grand Cherokee.
If you want to try sometime, I have a scanner designed for a '96 to '03 GM, but that's only because it's a chip programmer too. It might have a chance at reading your '95 codes.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If you want to try sometime, I have a scanner designed for a '96 to '03 GM, but that's only because it's a chip programmer too. It might have a chance at reading your '95 codes.
Can you program my chip to think the 2.2l is a 5.7l? Gas mileage would suffer, but the trade off would be worth it! 🛻 🔥

glhs837

Power with Control
No I did not. I'll take a look at it.

Truthfully, by the time I got serious about reading engine codes, OBDII was well established and the readers at my disposal only read OBDII.
I had to break the seals on the Ancient Knowledge to remember this trick. :) Was still able to use it on my 2006 SRT-8, the last Chrysler product I owned. An amazing tribute to the sheer inertia in legacy auto.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I may just take you up on that offer. IDK what you have, but it's got to be better than a bent paper clip!
:lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I may just take you up on that offer. IDK what you have, but it's got to be better than a bent paper clip!
:lol:
Anytime. It's a Zurich ZR-BT1 from Harbor Freight. Didn't cost much as it's just a bluetooth dongle, but not bad on features. Wasn't going to spend hundreds on a full-function scanner at this point in my life. Actually spent much more on the Lenovo 10" android tablet just to view the reports. :lol:

Absolutely no guarantee it will hook up, but we can try.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Anytime. It's a Zurich ZR-BT1 from Harbor Freight. Didn't cost much as it's just a bluetooth dongle, but not bad on features. Wasn't going to spend hundreds on a full-function scanner at this point in my life. Actually spent much more on the Lenovo 10" android tablet just to view the reports. :lol:

Absolutely no guarantee it will hook up, but we can try.

I tried an old module I got before I bought the Craftsman scanner from Ace when I worked there. I used to get everything at 10% over cost. It was a sweet deal, but I had better options, so I jumped ship when Sneade's took over. Anyway, it definitely doesn't have the right pin-out for OBD II. I appreciate the offer, but I'll stick with the paper clip for now.

A scanner came up on eBay and went for $45. I was going to snipe it, but got tied up replacing the front air dam spoiler thingy and missed it. Doh! Maybe another one exists somewhere. Now that I know what to look for, I'm sure another one will come up for auction sooner or later.