2 Chronicles 21 To no one's regret

seekeroftruth

2 Chronicles 21:10 Libnah revolted at the same time, because Jehoram had forsaken the Lord, the God of his ancestors. 11 He had also built high places on the hills of Judah and had caused the people of Jerusalem to prostitute themselves and had led Judah astray.
12 Jehoram received a letter from Elijah the prophet, which said:
“This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: ‘You have not followed the ways of your father Jehoshaphat or of Asa king of Judah. 13 But you have followed the ways of the kings of Israel, and you have led Judah and the people of Jerusalem to prostitute themselves, just as the house of Ahab did. You have also murdered your own brothers, members of your own family, men who were better than you. 14 So now the Lord is about to strike your people, your sons, your wives and everything that is yours, with a heavy blow. 15 You yourself will be very ill with a lingering disease of the bowels, until the disease causes your bowels to come out.’”
16 The Lord aroused against Jehoram the hostility of the Philistines and of the Arabs who lived near the Cushites. 17 They attacked Judah, invaded it and carried off all the goods found in the king’s palace, together with his sons and wives. Not a son was left to him except Ahaziah,(b) the youngest.
18 After all this, the Lord afflicted Jehoram with an incurable disease of the bowels. 19 In the course of time, at the end of the second year, his bowels came out because of the disease, and he died in great pain. His people made no funeral fire in his honor, as they had for his predecessors.
20 Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. He passed away, to no one’s regret, and was buried in the City of David, but not in the tombs of the kings.
b. 2 Chronicles 21:17 Hebrew Jehoahaz, a variant of Ahaziah

This is the easy English commentary.

The prophet Elijah was active in the time of Ahab, Ahaziah and the start of the rule of Joram. (See 2 Kings 1:17.) He prophesied in the northern kingdom, called Israel. Joram became the king of Israel in the second year of Jehoram’s rule in Judah. The second year of Jehoram’s rule was also the 18th year of Jehoshaphat’s rule (2 Kings 3:1). Some time before the LORD took Elijah from the earth (2 Kings chapter 2), he wrote this letter to Jehoram. So that was after Jehoshaphat died in 849 BC.
This is what Elijah wrote. Jehoram was a wicked king. He was not like Jehoshaphat or Asa. He lived the same as Ahab and his family. He caused Judah to turn from the LORD to the false gods of Israel. He killed his brothers. So, the LORD will punish him. The LORD will punish Jehoram’s people and family. Jehoram will have a terrible disease that will in the end spill out his inner parts.
Because of his evil ways, the LORD used the Philistines and the Arabs to punish Jehoram. They attacked Judah and they took away Jehoram’s wealth and family. But they left his youngest son, Jehoahaz. Another name for Jehoahaz was Ahaziah.
This was probably a border attack and it did not reach Jerusalem. Jehoram’s palace was probably a palace in the south of Judah. Jehoram’s wife, Athaliah and his youngest son, Ahaziah were probably in Jerusalem. So, the Philistines and the Arabs did not take them.​
Then Jehoram became sick with a disease that the doctors could not cure. The disease got worse during a period of two years. In the end, his inner parts burst out. He died in terrible pain. So, all that Elijah wrote in his letter happened.​
At the age of 40, the king died. He had ruled in Jerusalem for 8 years. When he died, nobody was sad. The people did not give any honour to him. They did not make a fire for him. And they did not bury him in the graves of the kings.

This is from enduringword.com.

After all this the LORD struck him in his intestines with an incurable disease: Again, this was a fitting judgment. There was a sense in which Jehoram was rotten spiritually from within; here, God simply caused the physical condition of his body simply corresponded to the spiritual condition of his soul – so he died in severe pain.​
“The Targum seems to intimate that he had a constipation and inflammation in his bowels; and that at last his bowels gushed out.” (Clarke)​
Apparently he suffered for two years. “This was a long while to lie under so intolerable a disease; and yet all this was but a typical hell, a foretaste of eternal torments, unless he repented.” (Trapp)​
“Translation problems have increased the difficulty, and the end may have come suddenly, ‘in two days’ (cf. Keil, Dillard), rather than at the end of the second year.” (Selman)​

I find the following kind of alarming... now that I've read this.

A long long long long long time ago... I was living in Baltimore... and my ex-husband's family was having a party for his grandmother's birthday. We were in one of those restaurant bars. Among the guests that night was a palm reader. Of course she read my palm.

She said I would have four children.
She said I would be married twice.
She said my second marriage would last much longer than the first.
She said I would develop medical issues with my gutt.

When I had my tubes tied after my third child.... I figured I was proving her wrong.... nope... adopted my fourth child almost 30 years later.
A few years later......I wound up in a horribly nasty divorce from the first husband... that I'm still recovering from.
My second marriage is now in its 35th year and we're best friends.
Colon Cancer..... metastatic....

Now I have to do an attitude check.

☕