Painting Countertops

JessieGirl

Has anyone ever painted their existing countertops? If so, is there a certain kind of paint that needs to be used? Thanks!

Has anyone ever painted their existing countertops? If so, is there a certain kind of paint that needs to be used? Thanks!
I can't see paint sticking to formica.

If you want to change the look, can you remove, put new formica over existing countertops and then re-install?

jackers

I've used the Rustoleum Countertop Paint that is sold at Lowes. Couple observations:
- The only place you can find the color samples is on the box. They are pretty small hard to pick. Be prepared to change colors if you don't like your first choice.
-It is relatively cheap. Somewhere around $25 for the paint. You need little foam rollers and a certain paint thinner to remove any overruns.
-It takes a few days to dry. This is especially important to know if you have cats that like to jump on the counters.
-It comes out pretty nice, considering it is just a paint. I get chips from time to time but I don't see why they couldn't be touched up.

Overall, I am very pleased. It is a ton cheaper than replacing countertops so if you try it and don't like it, you won't be out a lot of money.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I've used the Rustoleum Countertop Paint that is sold at Lowes. Couple observations:
- The only place you can find the color samples is on the box. They are pretty small hard to pick. Be prepared to change colors if you don't like your first choice.
-It is relatively cheap. Somewhere around $25 for the paint. You need little foam rollers and a certain paint thinner to remove any overruns.
-It takes a few days to dry. This is especially important to know if you have cats that like to jump on the counters.
-It comes out pretty nice, considering it is just a paint. I get chips from time to time but I don't see why they couldn't be touched up.

Overall, I am very pleased. It is a ton cheaper than replacing countertops so if you try it and don't like it, you won't be out a lot of money.

Is this the same as the kit? Last time I looked (prob end of Jan) they had some sample pieces on the shelf above it. They were pretty big samples. We thought about doing it to ours. Right now they are a lovely shade of mauve/rose, :barf: :lol:.

PrepH4U

Here is a link to a site that has many different people that have painted theri countertops with pics before and after. The first page is for this last month but they have archived links on bottom of page from many months prior. I had actually thought about doing it. Click on some older links to understand what they mean by blow torching the bubbles. It is a wealth of info, I had it in my favorites as I had actually thought about doing it.

Painting Laminate Countertops

The main site itself is full of a wealth of info on many different subjects. I had forgot about it until you posted this question. Thanks for reminding me!

belvak

Happy Camper
Interesting! How about cabinets? Any suggestions for the best product if you want to paint your cabinets instead of replacing?