Official "new home and I am going to bug you"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
thread. :evil:

First question.

My home inspector recommended that the air handler be serviced, and I would like to get the ducts cleaned as well..as everything is pretty gunked up (other people's skin cells :barf:) who should I call? How much am I looking at? My realtor suggested winters..but a quick search on here put that out of my head..I am also, of course, a little tight on cash so a place that isn't crazy high would be nice...

Second question.

I need to have two sliding glass doors replaced. I considered picking some up at the restore and doing it myself (and by myself I mean SO) ...anyone done the job before? From the instructions online it looks to be a fairly straghtfoward process...is it more trouble than it's worth?

third question.

I need a large (very tall, too tall to do ourselves) tree removed, as it is dead and poised to fall right on my neighbors house. Now if I get the plat and see it is indeed on my property..I have to remove it right? Or I will be responsible for the damage? Who should I call to do that? Again with my impoverished pockets in mind.

Any help would be lovely :)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Second question.

I need to have two sliding glass doors replaced. I considered picking some up at the restore and doing it myself (and by myself I mean SO) ...anyone done the job before? From the instructions online it looks to be a fairly straghtfoward process...is it more trouble than it's worth?

third question.

I need a large (very tall, too tall to do ourselves) tree removed, as it is dead and poised to fall right on my neighbors house. Now if I get the plat and see it is indeed on my property..I have to remove it right? Or I will be responsible for the damage? Who should I call to do that? Again with my impoverished pockets in mind.

2. consider French doors
3. If you tree falls on you neighbors house, the part on their property is their tree

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
2. My husband and a friend installed a sliding glass door and it was pretty cut and dry. Definitely need two people to do it though.

3. If I remember correctly (but don't take my word for it), the "victim" handles the cost to removed it (usually through their homeowners insurance).

Congrats on the new house!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand

First question.

My home inspector recommended that the air handler be serviced, and I would like to get the ducts cleaned as well..as everything is pretty gunked up (other people's skin cells :barf:) who should I call? How much am I looking at? My realtor suggested winters..but a quick search on here put that out of my head..I am also, of course, a little tight on cash so a place that isn't crazy high would be nice...

Second question.

third question.

First. Have you looked at the ducts to see if they NEED cleaned? I mean if the airfilters are in your air returns are in place your ducts shouldn't be so dirty to require cleaning. Most businesses need their ducts cleaned as most of the air returns don't have filters.

Second: Doors SHOULD be easy, but as I learned an EASY job could turn into unbelievably difficult in short order. If you buy your door at Lowes they can do the install for just a few hundred dollars more.

Three: As others have said, any part of the tree that hangs or extends into your neighbors yard is your neighbors. If he's worried about they can cut it off. Now if the entire tree is in your yard and is leaning in his direction, then yeah, cut it down. DO a search, there are a few thread in here about VERY reasonable and good tree service companies.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
First. Have you looked at the ducts to see if they NEED cleaned? I mean if the airfilters are in your air returns are in place your ducts shouldn't be so dirty to require cleaning. Most businesses need their ducts cleaned as most of the air returns don't have filters.

Second: Doors SHOULD be easy, but as I learned an EASY job could turn into unbelievably difficult in short order. If you buy your door at Lowes they can do the install for just a few hundred dollars more.

Three: As others have said, any part of the tree that hangs or extends into your neighbors yard is your neighbors. If he's worried about they can cut it off. Now if the entire tree is in your yard and is leaning in his direction, then yeah, cut it down. DO a search, there are a few thread in here about VERY reasonable and good tree service companies.

the air handler is old..and very poorly taken care of..the filter and coils were disgusting...and a quick look into the registers showed those sections at least were filthy..gunky and gross...so perhaps one of those quickie cleaning jobs would suffice..but it grosses me out to no end.:killingme

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I'm curious. Did you just buy this place? I would've had the realtor get that tree taken down prior to signing, after all he/she made 3-6% on the sale of the house.
But hindsight being what it is.......
My neighbor just had a HUGE walnut tree removed. I can ask them when I get home who did it and PM you tonight if you like?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm curious. Did you just buy this place? I would've had the realtor get that tree taken down prior to signing, after all he/she made 3-6% on the sale of the house.
But hindsight being what it is.......
My neighbor just had a HUGE walnut tree removed. I can ask them when I get home who did it and PM you tonight if you like?

We are getting estimates together for a few things..we may have it covered..it may have to come out of the money i budgeted for repairs and such..we got the price down so much from where they were asking..I don't mind doing the minor repairs needed...

But I would love to get some recommendations..I love being able to ask here and not go in blindly somewhere I pulled out of the phone book...

Vince

1) Vents - never bothered, got filters in all of them.

2) Sliding door - buy the door from Lowes and get them to schedule an install by local company. I had one done and the guys that put it in were experts.

3) Tree - get Kerwins tree service.

Pushrod

Patriot
Try Hancock Refrigeration and Heating Company out of Loveville. They gave me the best prices and service out of the entire area when we had to have our central cooling unit replaced. Mark is (I think) the owner and is great to deal with. 301-475-8298. Good luck with your new home.

bulldog

First question.

Boothes Heating and Air: 301-373-4247

Second question.

If SO has much skill at all, he can do it...with a little help from a friend. If he has no skill, he'll end up messing it up and you'll pay someone more to fix it than what it would have cost to have it done in the beginning

third question.

Answered by others

Congratulations on your new home and good luck