Changes at Humane Society

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I just got a call from a gal at the Humane Society in Waldorf telling me I am no longer allowed to have donations made to THEM for MY rescue. Also they said since I am NOT a 501 3 c I can no longer get any non-feral cats fixed at rescue prices. AND any ferals that ARE fixed must be ear-tipped. So that's a way (ear tip) I guess they can ensure it's not a domesticated cat?

This really screws things up because I offered to help a lady get 2 adult females and 3 kittens fixed and I had an appt. for 8/2 for that but I told the gal at HS to cancel that appt. as it was for domesticated cats.

I'm at the point where I may just throw in the towel on all this rescue stuff. I am barely able to make a difference due to the limited funds I am able to get, and I can't afford to self-fund this operation. It seems to take me months just to get 1 cat placed. I end up suffering in MY life to help out and I get doors slammed in my face because I don't have my 501 3 c status.

I'm trying to get my 501 3c status but it 1) costs money and 2) takes knowledgeable/legal help .. the guy who's supposed to help me was trying his best to get me in bed while giving me information I needed. That's just crazy. Gee do people screw their way to the top to become a rescue too? No thank you - now what?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Support rescues that are already established and could use extra help and funding. :yay:

Exactly. :yay:

Too many people try to start up their own rescues rather than work with already existing rescues...sometimes causes more trouble and confusion than is necessary.

TurboK9

I just got a call from a gal at the Humane Society in Waldorf telling me I am no longer allowed to have donations made to THEM for MY rescue. Also they said since I am NOT a 501 3 c I can no longer get any non-feral cats fixed at rescue prices. AND any ferals that ARE fixed must be ear-tipped. So that's a way (ear tip) I guess they can ensure it's not a domesticated cat?

This really screws things up because I offered to help a lady get 2 adult females and 3 kittens fixed and I had an appt. for 8/2 for that but I told the gal at HS to cancel that appt. as it was for domesticated cats.

I'm at the point where I may just throw in the towel on all this rescue stuff. I am barely able to make a difference due to the limited funds I am able to get, and I can't afford to self-fund this operation. It seems to take me months just to get 1 cat placed. I end up suffering in MY life to help out and I get doors slammed in my face because I don't have my 501 3 c status.

I'm trying to get my 501 3c status but it 1) costs money and 2) takes knowledgeable/legal help .. the guy who's supposed to help me was trying his best to get me in bed while giving me information I needed. That's just crazy. Gee do people screw their way to the top to become a rescue too? No thank you - now what?

The BEST thing you can do IMHO to 'help' is to simply adopt whatever animal(s) you can afford financially, emotionally, and time-wise, permanently. You've already done that. Anything else is beyond what any single person should be asked to do. You can't save 'em all, save the ones you can, by giving them a home as you can. :yay:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have more than just basic rescue I was working on, I also have purchased a website so that people have an alternative way to re-home pets w/o going to the shelter, and I need funding/support for that also. So I have to become a 501 3 c to keep going with the ideas I have for helping animals on a larger scale.

I have more than just basic rescue I was working on, I also have purchased a website so that people have an alternative way to re-home pets w/o going to the shelter, and I need funding/support for that also. So I have to become a 501 3 c to keep going with the ideas I have for helping animals on a larger scale.
I'm confused... I thought you just posted that you were no longer going to pursue your 501 3 c...:confused:

PrepH4U

I would donate your website and ideas to an organization already going and you will be able to assist them greatly. All rescues need help and you will be able to help without the added stress of running it. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Why do you want to be on your own? Why don't you just volunteer with an existing rescue? Most rescues would welcome your help and would support you.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've seen a few rescues up close that operate in ways that I deem to be dishonest - some way more than others. So that's another reason I don't want to join an existing group - been there, done that, and the ones I worked with had issues, usually it was an honesty issue, but some organizations have hierarchy issues of people being over-bearing and others are expected to tolerate it. I deal with people at my PAID job like that and I refuse to spend my personal volunteer time dealing a bunch of BS off people.

I would donate your website and ideas to an organization already going and you will be able to assist them greatly. All rescues need help and you will be able to help without the added stress of running it. :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I've seen a few rescues up close that operate in ways that I deem to be dishonest - some way more than others. So that's another reason I don't want to join an existing group - been there, done that, and the ones I worked with had issues, usually it was an honesty issue, but some organizations have hierarchy issues of people being over-bearing and others are expected to tolerate it. I deal with people at my PAID job like that and I refuse to spend my personal volunteer time dealing a bunch of BS off people.

Ah, so you want to the be the boss. :biggrin:

I volunteer with PAWS and I couldn't be happier. After years of spending tons of my own money rescuing critters, it's nice to have monetary support as well as emotional suppport. I still spend some of my own money and of course a good deal of my time. I have many more resources than I would if I was on my own and I'm better equipped to handle more animals and have access to better care...which, really, is the name of the game. It's about the animals...not me.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I don't want to be the boss actually - just want things run honestly and not have some people (or 1 person) who runs over the others helping and making them miserable.

Ah, so you want to the be the boss. :biggrin:

I volunteer with PAWS and I couldn't be happier. After years of spending tons of my own money rescuing critters, it's nice to have monetary support as well as emotional suppport. I still spend some of my own money and of course a good deal of my time. I have many more resources than I would if I was on my own and I'm better equipped to handle more animals and have access to better care...which, really, is the name of the game. It's about the animals...not me.

Cowgirl

We've talked about the 501 3c stuff before. My parents got one for the rescue group they started, and it didn't cost much money at all. They had a friend help them with the paperwork, but it really was not that difficult. You could probably even contact a few lawyers and see if they could help you out pro bono. If not, possibly contact some local rescue groups and ask how they got theirs. Maybe they'd be willing to help. BUT, even after you get your status, you're still going to have the same money issues. :shrug:

If you don't like one rescue group, go to another. There are tons out there. Well, maybe not *tons* but there are several.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I don't want to be the boss actually - just want things run honestly and not have some people (or 1 person) who runs over the others helping and making them miserable.

I couldn't even tell you much about the inner workings, I just take care of the babies.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I couldn't even tell you much about the inner workings, I just take care of the babies.

That sounds like a sweet deal to me. SO doesn't know it yet..but one of the bedrooms in the house is getting turned into a kitty room, and I wanna foster. That way i get to play with babies but don't have to keep em. if he complains I will tell him it's either a kitty room or a nursery, take your pic.:killingme

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
That sounds like a sweet deal to me. SO doesn't know it yet..but one of the bedrooms in the house is getting turned into a kitty room, and I wanna foster. That way i get to play with babies but don't have to keep em. if he complains I will tell him it's either a kitty room or a nursery, take your pic.:killingme

It's wonderful! PAWS has been around for a long time and the people are great, I really enjoy working with them.

frequentflier

happy to be living
We've talked about the 501 3c stuff before. My parents got one for the rescue group they started, and it didn't cost much money at all. They had a friend help them with the paperwork, but it really was not that difficult. You could probably even contact a few lawyers and see if they could help you out pro bono. If not, possibly contact some local rescue groups and ask how they got theirs. Maybe they'd be willing to help. BUT, even after you get your status, you're still going to have the same money issues. :shrug:

If you don't like one rescue group, go to another. There are tons out there. Well, maybe not *tons* but there are several.

There are some very tightly run organizations (like PAWS) and some very loosely run groups as well. If you attend some adoption events, it shouldn't take much to figure out who's who.

C

CalvertNewbie

It's wonderful! PAWS has been around for a long time and the people are great, I really enjoy working with them.

I think that's who our petsitter volunteers with, although I'm not 100% sure. Are they the organization who runs adoptions out of the PF Petco on Saturdays? If so, she's had wonderful things to say about them and I don't see her as the type to volunteer for a shady organization.

HumaneSocietyCC

At the Humane Society of Charles County, we offer low cost spay/neuter to the public. You do not need to be a rescue to take advantage of these prices.

Dog Spay...$110.00 Cat Spay...$65.00
Dog Alter....$90.00 Cat Alter...$45.00

*Dogs add an additional $10.00 for every 10 pounds over 60 pounds.
**Pets older than 5 years may be required to have pre-surgical bloodwork.
The cost of a blood panel is $95.00

Additional Charges:
Dogs: Cats:
Pregnant...add $20.00 - $30.00 Pregnant...add $10.00 - $20.00
In heat......add $20.00 In heat.....add $10.00
Cryptorchid..add $15.00 - $25.00 Cryptorchid add $10.00 - 20.00

We also have additional services that we offer during the time of surgery, such as Rabies vaccines. If you have any questions about our services, please feel free to call. Our number is 301-645-8181. You can also check out our website Home Page

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
oh see, they do have great prices there ! I mentioned the great pricing in a different post earlier this year, and provided the home page link there also, but it's great to see the information provided again.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
oh see, they do have great prices there ! I mentioned the great pricing in a different post earlier this year, and provided the home page link there also, but it's great to see the information provided again.

So what were you talking about? :confused: