Getting a car appraised

TracyV

I was wondering if any of you knew who or where to go to for a car appraisal. My mom has a 1990 limited edition Firebird with minimal mileage she is looking to sell and we definitely need to have it appraised to find out how much to sell it for.

greeneyes36

I was wondering if any of you knew who or where to go to for a car appraisal. My mom has a 1990 limited edition Firebird with minimal mileage she is looking to sell and we definitely need to have it appraised to find out how much to sell it for.

i drove to carmax... cant remember where it was at though -- laurel maybe??? free appraisal and relatively decent #'s.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
*EDIT*
KBB doesn't go back that far, but don't hold your breath for a financial windfall.

Be more specific about the car. Trim lines, engine size, color, condition.

Last edited:

FED_UP

Yea take it to the Carmax in Laurel MD, not hard to get too. I would probably have it detailed before you go, might help to mark it up a bit. You can look around at other cars while they check the car over. But of course I would at least take it to one other place to compare.

Last edited:

TracyV

I'll have to get more info from her, but it was made in 1990, #3 of 600 made, black with gold trim, huge bird on the hood (think smokey and the bandit), in extremely good condition, has tee tops, and has around 52K miles, original engine. The official name was a limited edition Pro Am Bandit II

I'll have to get more info from her, but it was made in 1990, #3 of 600 made, black with gold trim, huge bird on the hood (think smokey and the bandit), in extremely good condition, has tee tops, and has around 52K miles, original engine. The official name was a limited edition Pro Am Bandit II

:twitch: Whoa....... Like Kom said... windfall.

You may be better off searching out high end market appraisers like on the Speed Channel auctions.

PROGRAMS - BARRETT-JACKSON-2010-THE-AUCTIONS - The Motor Sports Authority - Auto Racing, Formula 1, Moto Racing, NASCAR, News, Photos, Videos, Blogs, & more...
THE COLLECTORS EDITION: STEVE RAMSEY
This episode features Maryland car dealer and enthusiast Steve Ramsey who, since 2003, has bought and sold close to 300 cars at Barrett-Jackson.

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:twitch: Whoa....... Like Kom said... windfall.

You may be better off searching out high end market appraisers like on the Speed Channel auctions.

PROGRAMS - BARRETT-JACKSON-2010-THE-AUCTIONS - The Motor Sports Authority - Auto Racing, Formula 1, Moto Racing, NASCAR, News, Photos, Videos, Blogs, & more...

:meh: Maybe not so much. There were 600 sent to Chattanooga Creations for aftermarket conversion. (Think Barbie vans) There may be someone out there that really wants this car, but I don't think you'll see a lot of money from it. But there a people out there that'll pay a buttload of money for a potato chip shaped like the Blessed Mother so who knows.

Found one in NJ.
CarsOnline.com: Pontiac For Sale

:meh: Maybe not so much. There were 600 sent to Chattanooga Creations for aftermarket conversion. (Think Barbie vans) There may be someone out there that really wants this car, but I don't think you'll see a lot of money from it. But there a people out there that'll pay a buttload of money for a potato chip shaped like the Blessed Mother so who knows.

Found one in NJ.

:disappointed: I thought it would be worth more than that.... I was thinking factory original, not conversion.

SoMdDude

Goto carmax, wife wanted to sell a car she had and took it to maybe 5 different places in Waldorf, we werent happy with either of them so we drove to Laurel at Carmax. We got almost 3k more by taking a 1h drive!

glhs837

Power with Control
Really limited number cars from the factory are rare birds these days. Individual combinations of color and options might limit some, but limited edition packages are usually not really limited enough to bring extra cash. I cannot imagine how many "Indy Pace Car" editions folks think will fund a retirement are out there. And that doesnt even scratch the surface of dealer made "special editions", which are usually a few graphics and rims.

I dont see this fetching much more than a stock car, seeing as its drivetrain was stock, only mods were appearance ones.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Found one in NJ.

So it's NOT a limited edition car, it's a limited edition set of stickers.. 20 years AFTER the Smokey and the Bandit movie.. YEAH, that was a solid investment in a good collectible..

glhs837

Power with Control
To be fair, it did have a few more mods than that. Seats, wheels a few bits and pieces on the inside. But nothing that would draw extra money, I dont think.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Goto carmax, wife wanted to sell a car she had and took it to maybe 5 different places in Waldorf, we werent happy with either of them so we drove to Laurel at Carmax. We got almost 3k more by taking a 1h drive!

Some good advice from various posters above.
Just remember, dealers are not going to pay you what a private sale (or auction) will, they have to make a profit.
But do your homework before heading out. NADA / KBB are decent guides, eBay will give you an even better idea of what similiar cars have sold for.
I wouldn't waste my time in Waldorf, might as well just drive to Tom Hodges and save the gas if you are going to the dealers in Waldorf.
I've never been to Carmax, but have heard good things.

Good luck, but in the end, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

TracyV

Thanks for the advice, especially Bernie and minuteman. I think some people on here are thinking the car was bought for an investment hoping to see for big bucks 20 years later...just not the case. When they saw it, they thought it was a purty car..and just bought it. It does not get driven and it sits in a garage so they are looking to sell it to someone who might like to have it.

idiganthro

Carmax is a great place to buy a car, but not so much for selling, as the bottom line is they want to make money.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Coined the "Screaming Chicken".....:lmao: