Wow

nomoney

Thats a tricky situation. But if she knew prior that if she did not take action immediately and have the c-section that the baby would die she should be held accountable....thats like saying "if you put your 2 year old in the oven she'll die" and the mother responding, "well I have no place else to put her since a playpen will give my living room the cluttered look"

K

Kain99

This is major food for thought. She does not look like a vain woman to me. Maybe she was just afraid. I'm not leaning towards the fry side.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
This is major food for thought. She does not look like a vain woman to me. Maybe she was just afraid. I'm not leaning towards the fry side.
She looks like a junkie.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I'm not sure I agree with sticking a murder charge on the 1st woman. Stupidity - yes, manslaughter - maybe. There's a 2 day window in the story between the time they say she should've had the c-sec and when the baby died. She did go to 3 hospitals for consultation. The article never mentions if she had a c-sec or natural birth when the babies were actually born.

K

Kizzy

Yea, the 1st one is real iffy. She just seems stupid to me and we cannot jail people for being stupid.

Now, the second one should fry. :mad:

dustin

UAIOE
1st one...

In January, the state Supreme Court ruled that unborn children at all stages of development are covered under the state's criminal homicide statute. The law exempts the death of a fetus during an abortion.

So if a mother trips down the stairs and kills her unborn children in the process, is it considered involuntary manslaughter? What if a mother gets in a really bad car accident and lost her baby because she wasnt wearing her seatbelt properly? But I'm not even gonna start another abortion thread...

That said. From the statements quoted, I think the lady has got to be a little nuts. But if she was so bound and determined to off her kids, why didnt she do it earlier in the pregnancy? Sudden change of heart? Either that or just very picky about who operates on her...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: 1st one...

Originally posted by dustin
Either that or just very picky about who operates on her...
Which brings up another good point. Do we really want to be forced into having medical procedures we don't want?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
And she gets...

18 months probation... :duh:

SALT LAKE CITY - A woman originally charged with murder for allegedly delaying a Caesarean section that could have saved one of her twins was sentenced Thursday to 18 months' probation for lesser counts of child endangerment.

Melissa Ann Rowland also was ordered into a drug treatment program, which she will attend in Indiana, said her attorney, Michael Sikora.

Tina2001aniT

This irritates me...not to start the abortion debate :deadhorse....but as americans we need to decide if an unborn baby is a life or not....and our laws need to reflect one or the other....we have some laws allowing us to kill unborn babies via abortion and then something like this comes up and we turn around and say no it is not how dare she not take the steps necessary to preserve the life of her unborn child....I am not inderstanding here..is it a baby or not??? :shrug: I know my opinion but that is not what I am referring to, our laws in regards to this are two-way....JMO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tina2001aniT
This irritates me...
I agree with you 110%!!! I didn't understand it when it happened, let alone now that she's been sentenced. If she'd gone to an abortionist and had the fetus partial-birth aborted, she wouldn't have faced any charges at all.