Sola Scriptura began in 70AD?

Starman3000m

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)

The Old Testament Prophecy and New Testament Fulfillment of God's Plan of Salvation is encompassed within the pages of The Holy Bible. Nothing else ever needed to be added, deleted or changed.

It is because of extra-Biblical teachings that pseudo-Christian cults have been formed and which cause people to follow another gospel, another Jesus and, in the RCC case, another Mary.

Truth Stands Alone in One Book alone; The Holy Bible.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
The Old Testament Prophecy and New Testament Fulfillment of God's Plan of Salvation is encompassed within the pages of The Holy Bible. Nothing else ever needed to be added, deleted or changed.

It is because of extra-Biblical teachings that pseudo-Christian cults have been formed and which cause people to follow another gospel, another Jesus and, in the RCC case, another Mary.

Truth Stands Alone in One Book alone; The Holy Bible.

You realize all organized religion is a cult of some form? And every version of the bible is an interpretation?

No, I don't want to have this argument again, never mind.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
I read the link, then the comments...my question is this...

Why do catholics and protestants hate each other so much?

Radiant1

Soul Probe

Good question. Catholicism is often attacked by Protestants (as you see on this forum) so it creates a lot of animosity...500 frickin' years of animosty. :frown:

That's my pov, I'm sure they'd tell you something different (and prove my point while doing so).

Starman3000m

You must have also been reading historical news about Ireland! lol

In brief:

The disagreement is where the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) claims that it has been given the exclusive right to teach and preach and that the pope is God's Vicar (official spokesman on earth). All people are to become subject to papal directives and for many years the RCC taught that Salvation could not be obtained outside of the RCC faith. This was not put into effect until Rome usurped Christian teachings under the rule of Constantine and the RCC religious hierarchy developed.

On the other hand, the Protestants disagree with the RCC's exclusivity and control over the masses (pun intended). Protestants agree with the sole Biblical teaching of Christ that one is saved by faith in Him alone and that by being born-again of the Holy Spirit one becomes a Child of God. Protestants do not believe that mankind comes to God through abiding by the changing rules of the RCC, its traditions, its claim to exclusive apostolic succession, and its extra-Biblical teachings that interject reverence to Mary and Patron Saints as methods of being in touch with God.

Protestants do not agree nor believe that upon Communion the wine literally turns to the blood and the wafer literally becomes the flesh of Jesus.

These are but a few things that Protestants pointed out during the Reformation period and for that the RCC put them to death.

Protestants do not "hate" Catholics; they disagree with them on their obligatory faith in what the Vatican teaches rather than what the Holy Bible alone teaches.

There was a warning to the first-century Christians that other teachings would be introduced which were not truthful teachings:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:6-10)

Last edited:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
There is no source that Sola Scriptura began in 70 AD. You can't cite something that doesn't exist.
Actually I didn't mean for him to cite any sources, I meant that his sources are flawed (if he thinks it started in 70AD) but now as I read the article, I'm not sure what he means. Usually Onel tries to discount the Bible as absolute truth because of his deniminational beliefs. I thought he was trying to do that here and I still might be right. Chime in Onel and tell us what your intent is in this thread.

This guy who wrote the article sounds like he is defending AND criticizing "Scripture Alone". He might be speaking against the notion that it started in 70AD and he would be right BUT he might also be trying to discount it completely. :shrug:

It's not a hatred of them at all but of some of their doctrines. Unfortunately no one likes to be corrected so an argument/passionate discussion often happens.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
As usual Starman responds with 500 year old gutter tripe. Cheezgrits, a lot of what Starman said regarding Catholicism is false. If you want a rundown on which is which feel free to ask.

There was a warning to the first-century Christians that other teachings would be introduced which were not truthful teachings:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:6-10)

Which is exactly why we consider Protestants heretics. They have invented different teachings 1500 years after the fact and even removed books from the bible because they supported doctrines they didn't agree with.

:sigh:

hotcoffee

I don't very often get involved in the Catholic v Protestant discussions. I've heard it's like the Jews v Christians debate of the Biblical times. In my opinion, it all comes down to these major differences between the two.

Confession of sins
Saints
Prayer
Translation of the Word

I have two sisters who are Catholics. I'm a Baptist... as is most of my family historically. My uncle is a Presbyterian Preacher.

It always gets heated when Salvation is involved.

It's complicated...:smack: That's why I don't get involved in these discussions as a rule. I don't know enough about the origins of the Catholic traditions to debate the differences in this forum.

:coffee:

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I, and without doubt probably mostly other Protestants (along with non-denominationals, of which I am one), do not hate or despise Catholics. I know many Catholics personally, and by logical extension, probably most Catholics do not hate or despise Protestants.

We disagree theologically. Doesn't mean we can't or don't like each other.

Zguy28

Good question. Catholicism is often attacked by Protestants (as you see on this forum) so it creates a lot of animosity...500 frickin' years of animosty. :frown:
And vice versa. That's what the Jesuits are for afterall, the Vatican version of the Marines.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
And vice versa. That's what the Jesuits are for afterall, the Vatican version of the Marines.

That is not what Jesuits are for. :duh: I've said it a hundred times, but I guess it bears repeating...let the Catholics speak for themselves because when Protestants attempt to do so, they get it wrong. :smack:

Jesuits are "God's Marines" because of their willingness to travel anywhere in the world to evangelize. (You know, that thing that Protestants have recently accused us of not doing.)