Stories & Recipes Wanted!

countygirl301

SoMd community,

I am looking for people who may be interested in contributing their stories and recipes of dishes that have been handed down to them by previous generations.

Concept: This book with be more than your average cook book. I plan on incorporating narratives of the dishes which have been passed through generations. The book with also feature photography of the processes and products. I am crafting a foreword and afterword with a persuasive edge to attempt to inspire young generations to take advantage of the plethora of sources that the elder generations have in regards to the food that we eat!

I will be authoring the book in its entirety. I am looking for people who can dictate the stories of their dishes in a robust and exiting manner. I am looking for stories of all kinds regarding the recipes- disasters and successes!

This book will be a journey for me. I do not plan to collect recipes and publish them under my own name. I want to capture the emotions and intimate memories of people who currently cook recipes that were handed down to them by previous generations. I want to record their stories and publish them in an effort to persuade my generation to rediscover the magic in creating tradition. Credit will be given to all who meaningfully contribute.

At the moment, this book is in a conceptual form. I have not yet explored routes of royalties/copywriting. I want to see if there are people out there who would even be willing to talk about their traditional recipes and journey in learning to cook.

If you are interested or know someone who may be a good candidate, I would love to chat with you regarding your dish! Please send me a private message with your info!

In the meantime, if you interested in learning more about me- please visit my personal blog, County Meanderings.

Thanks!
-Karen

Last edited:

ZARA

What will be my cut of the royalties?

None. Nadda, jack squat, zilche, zero, not even an iota.

I will be authoring the book in its entirety. I am looking for people who can dictate the stories of their dishes in a robust and exiting manner. I am looking for stories of all kinds regarding the recipes- disasters and successes!

Translation:
I want your recipes but I'm keeping credit for it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think if somebody is authoring a cookbook in its entirety, then they need to get their butt in the kitchen and start cooking and documenting what they do.

Stealing recipes and stories from folks in the community and claiming them as your own is plagiarism.

I would like to think that even though she's "authoring the book in its entirety" that she'd at least give credit to the person who provided the story and recipe...no? :ohwell:

We put a cookbook together using Tastebook for my friends bridal shower present, it was awesome :yay:

countygirl301

I think if somebody is authoring a cookbook in its entirety, then they need to get their butt in the kitchen and start cooking and documenting what they do.

Stealing recipes and stories from folks in the community and claiming them as your own is plagiarism.

I do not plan to steal anyone's recipes, thank you. I want to actually meet the people who have traditional recipes, learn to make them, and write about the recipe and my experience in learning how to recreate recipes of the past. The purpose of the book is to encourage younger generations to find recipes of the past, take them and pass them on. Not to steal people's ideas and take credit. I cannot offer a royalty because I am unsure as to whether my project will ever take off- it is simply for my own writing pleasure at the moment.

countygirl301

I would like to think that even though she's "authoring the book in its entirety" that she'd at least give credit to the person who provided the story and recipe...no? :ohwell:

We put a cookbook together using Tastebook for my friends bridal shower present, it was awesome :yay:

Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. You are correct, I do not plan to take credit for anything that I did not originally create.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Reminds me of some of my Mom's old Church/community cookbooks.

Recipe
Ingredients
Directions

-Compliments of Mrs. Jonathon Smith

I do not plan to steal anyone's recipes, thank you. I want to actually meet the people who have traditional recipes, learn to make them, and write about the recipe and my experience in learning how to recreate recipes of the past. The purpose of the book is to encourage younger generations to find recipes of the past, take them and pass them on. Not to steal people's ideas and take credit. I cannot offer a royalty because I am unsure as to whether my project will ever take off- it is simply for my own writing pleasure at the moment.

That wasn't really explained in your original post though, you wanting to meet the people and learn to make their recipes. I like the idea of your book, I just think that you should name those that provided the recipes for you to recreate :yay:

Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. You are correct, I do not plan to take credit for anything that I did not originally create.

So you plan on giving credit where credit's due?

ZARA

But would you notate from whom each recipe came from? That is the point that is being made.

Would the original authors be clearly identified and credit given where credit is due?

Followed by, if this is a group endeavor, which it obviously is, and becomes lucrative, which it could, would the original authors also receive fair compensation for their contribution?

In your original post you clearly stated, “I will be authoring the book in its entirety,” which means you will take credit for everything within the book. I understand if that was not your meaning, however that is what was stated.

Personally I think it is a great idea if the contributors are clearly recognized and fair compensation is made to each one if the book becomes lucrative.

countygirl301

Yes, I plan on including the people who can teach the recipes to me in the book. I want to have a narrative of the personal connection to each recipe which will be about the person/history of the recipe itself. The purpose in writing this is that I feel like my generation has lost interest in cooking. I want to be able to use a wide variety of stories to encourage people to take interest in preserving the techniques of the past!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes, I plan on including the people who can teach the recipes to me in the book. I want to have a narrative of the personal connection to each recipe which will be about the person/history of the recipe itself. The purpose in writing this is that I feel like my generation has lost interest in cooking. I want to be able to use a wide variety of stories to encourage people to take interest in preserving the techniques of the past!

Still avoiding that 'compensation' part of the discussion.

countygirl301

But would you notate from whom each recipe came from? That is the point that is being made.

Would the original authors be clearly identified and credit given where credit is due?

Followed by, if this is a group endeavor, which it obviously is, and becomes lucrative, which it could, would the original authors also receive fair compensation for their contribution?

In your original post you clearly stated, “I will be authoring the book in its entirety,” which means you will take credit for everything within the book. I understand if that was not your meaning, however that is what was stated.

Personally I think it is a great idea if the contributors are clearly recognized and fair compensation is made to each one if the book becomes lucrative.

I should have taken more consideration in the original post. Yes, I plan to include the names, stories and photographs of the people who I use in the book. I just want to write their stories myself- I have a specific style in mind for the narrative pieces. The book is not going to be all about me. I want to be about a community of people who cook recipes of the past. You guys have brought up very relevant questions. I appreciate it!

Hope it is starting to make more sense. It is only in a rough outline form at the moment.

Last edited: