3 aircraft

GregV814

this afternoon, I saw 3 planes circling over Huntingtown. I have not studied planes much but they were unique . They had two engines on the top of the wings and flat fuselage...like a boxcar.... are they WWII era supply planes?

UglyBear

I saw these making circles. My best explanation: it's the end of the month, and all the pilots need to get their hours in to keep their qualifications. So they just take off Andrews and circle for a while. I see this all the time at the end of every month -- several types, usually huge cargo planes, making circles over Calvert.

Can any USAF people confirm or deny this speculation?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
View attachment 151954
I saw these making circles. My best explanation: it's the end of the month, and all the pilots need to get their hours in to keep their qualifications. So they just take off Andrews and circle for a while. I see this all the time at the end of every month -- several types, usually huge cargo planes, making circles over Calvert.

That's a V-22 Osprey.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My best explanation: it's the end of the month, and all the pilots need to get their hours in to keep their qualifications. So they just take off Andrews and circle for a while. I see this all the time at the end of every month -- several types, usually huge cargo planes, making circles over Calvert.

When I was stationed at Andrews and someone needed flight hours, we'd head down to Texas for lunch. Went to a little cantina out the back gate of some base. Got home around 4pm. It was better than sitting around the office for the day.

Reactions: BOP