If people had to live they way they treat their dogs...

Jennalynn

The people just down the road from us is the reason for my rant! Why do people have dogs, if they are just going to chain them up outside, or keep them caged in small runs? In the 8 years I’ve lived here – I think I’ve seen someone out with them 4 times. They’ve gone through multiple dogs… I even called Animal Services a few years back when they had just an empty cardboard box for a chained dog on the coldest night of the year. Animal Services gave them a “warning” that the dog needed bedding (pine needles), and that water must be “liquid”… (It was frozen solid.) Two months later – the dog was gone. Now they have multiple dogs… Why? These dogs are laying on ground in this awful heat… The ticks and mosquitoes must be terrible. In the winter, when the temps are in the single digits - they must be unbearably cold. They have small dog wooden dog houses that look like they are falling apart. They must be getting water and food, as they are still alive. The chained dog can walk in a circle. The runs are so small that the dogs pretty much just pace. These dogs are pitts. I've known several pitts that were terrific family dogs. Kept inside.... well loved. These dogs look miserable. I'd like to give the owners a taste of their own medicine. Let them experience the crappy life they are offering these animals. I drive past them every day. I’m literally sickened by the thought of these poor dogs kept under these conditions for their entire lives. They are not pets. They are captives.

MR47930

Its crazy that people get "pets" and then never interact with them.. Meanwhile, my dog is currently laid up on his memory foam bed surrounded by toys in the A/C. He has it made better than most people. It's sad to see helpless animals being cared for by shi**y humans.

luvmygdaughters

The people just down the road from us is the reason for my rant! Why do people have dogs, if they are just going to chain them up outside, or keep them caged in small runs? In the 8 years I’ve lived here – I think I’ve seen someone out with them 4 times. They’ve gone through multiple dogs… I even called Animal Services a few years back when they had just an empty cardboard box for a chained dog on the coldest night of the year. Animal Services gave them a “warning” that the dog needed bedding (pine needles), and that water must be “liquid”… (It was frozen solid.) Two months later – the dog was gone. Now they have multiple dogs… Why? These dogs are laying on ground in this awful heat… The ticks and mosquitoes must be terrible. In the winter, when the temps are in the single digits - they must be unbearably cold. They have small dog wooden dog houses that look like they are falling apart. They must be getting water and food, as they are still alive. The chained dog can walk in a circle. The runs are so small that the dogs pretty much just pace. These dogs are pitts. I've known several pitts that were terrific family dogs. Kept inside.... well loved. These dogs look miserable. I'd like to give the owners a taste of their own medicine. Let them experience the crappy life they are offering these animals. I drive past them every day. I’m literally sickened by the thought of these poor dogs kept under these conditions for their entire lives. They are not pets. They are captives.

Couldn't agree with you more. Your neighbor sounds like the people that were living behind us, a few years back. They had a little brown dog that would run loose all over the neighborhood. They got rid of that one than, got a Rottweiler! They kept that poor dog chained up in the back yard, sometimes with no food or water, no socialization at all. The dog would bark all night and jump trying to get off his chain. These people would leave for 2 or 3 days at a time and I never saw anyone caring for the dog when they were gone. One of the times they were away, the dog managed to slip out of his collar and was running all over the neighborhood. I was afraid someone would run over the poor thing or shoot it. I called animal control and they did pick the dog up and left a note on the door. When the neighbors finally got home, they came to my door and accused me of being a racist, because I called animal control! They got rid of the rottie, don't know what happened to it. They finally moved but don't know where. My daughter and I would throw food over the fence and try to give the dog water, but, not knowing the rottie and knowing how protective they can be, we didn't want to get to close. I understand your frustration, I have never understood why people get dogs if they are not going to treat them right.

Jennalynn

MR47930 - I know what you mean... My dogs want for nothing... My 19 year old rescue cat has her own chair with a heating pad! LOL... Each and every time I pass those dogs, I get "visions" of bringing them home...

glhs837

Power with Control
That word you used, "pet"? That's the breakdown. Some people view dogs as tools. And they give the animal the minimal care they might give any other tool. Enough to keep it functional, and that's it. Shelter, food. And training to do the job they ask of them. Others view dogs as ornaments, like some people view a suit or a watch. To be taken out and shown off, and when not needed for that, it's on the shelf or in the drawer, which means the backyard on a chain.

I don't understand these people, but I know they exist. Dogs are friends. Mine are. I don't get nuts over it, but making them happy makes me happy.

Jennalynn

LUV... The little black dog that disappeared was the sweetest thing... I was sure he would freeze to death. I actually threw some food over the fence a few times, but I was worried he'd start to expect me... so I stopped. When he was gone, I thought maybe they decided they didn't like having a dog (especially if people are going to report them to Animal Services...) But NO... They went and got 3 more! So sad...

luvmygdaughters

That word you used, "pet"? That's the breakdown. Some people view dogs as tools. And they give the animal the minimal care they might give any other tool. Enough to keep it functional, and that's it. Shelter, food. And training to do the job they ask of them. Others view dogs as ornaments, like some people view a suit or a watch. To be taken out and shown off, and when not needed for that, it's on the shelf or in the drawer, which means the backyard on a chain.

I don't understand these people, but I know they exist. Dogs are friends. Mine are. I don't get nuts over it, but making them happy makes me happy.

Very true statement. I know hunters who used dogs for that purpose. They are not pets, however, they are taken care of with suitable shelter, food, water and regular vet visits. My dog is a "pet", a spoiled rotten pet. This is how my husband and I choose to keep her. She stays in the A/C in the summer and the heat in the winter. She gets fed every night and a few snackers during the day. My house is usually littered with her doggie toys and my furniture has dog hair on it. She is one of the sweetest dogs and we love her. My previous dog I had for 18 years, got her when she was 8 weeks old. Broke my heart when I had to have her put down, but, she had a great life for those 18 years. I know not all people care for their pets the same way we do, but, you can usually tell when a dog is being mistreated and neglected by someone.

glhs837

Power with Control
Neighbor has a great dog. Labradoodle, something like that. When she goes up the road, I watch her dog, She had her male relative doing it, but I saw his method was roll up, let the dog have 2 minutes out the crate, then back in the crate till lunch, if he came by then. Same after work. I sort of encouraged her to let me watch him, jumped to volunteer, never say no. Never less than a 10 minute romp around the perimeter of the 3 acre property, down to the stream, some stick tossing. Maybe bring one of mine over. Pretty funny to watch a my 30lb Corgi-Kees mix try to herd a 50lb hunting dog. Shoulder blocks just don't work :) Then 5-10 minutes of sitting in the house while he decides if he wants a drink or a bite of kibble. It's 5-10 minutes because he simply wont even look at his food or water until he's spent that long cuddling up to you.

luvmygdaughters

Neighbor has a great dog. Labradoodle, something like that. When she goes up the road, I watch her dog, She had her male relative doing it, but I saw his method was roll up, let the dog have 2 minutes out the crate, then back in the crate till lunch, if he came by then. Same after work. I sort of encouraged her to let me watch him, jumped to volunteer, never say no. Never less than a 10 minute romp around the perimeter of the 3 acre property, down to the stream, some stick tossing. Maybe bring one of mine over. Pretty funny to watch a my 30lb Corgi-Kees mix try to herd a 50lb hunting dog. Shoulder blocks just don't work :) Then 5-10 minutes of sitting in the house while he decides if he wants a drink or a bite of kibble. It's 5-10 minutes because he simply wont even look at his food or water until he's spent that long cuddling up to you.

:yay:

I just love Corgi's. I always say, when Capt. Morgan crosses the Rainbow Bridge, that is going to be my next dog. I would love to see a picture of Corgi/Kees mix, do you have any you could post?

idiganthro

Totally agree. I grew up in the country and it was kind of the norm, "back in the day." I even remember having an "outdoor" dog when I was very small. For all of that, it still shocks me how people treat animals they choose to have. Our neighbors have a similar situation going on and I just don't get it.

Our dog, however, lives the life of a prince...runs the damn house at all of 14 pounds. Don't know what we'd do without him! Our (grown) kids swear he's their replacement...they may be right!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

I've never understood people like that either. Mine are slightly spoiled :) 2016-08-15 16.30.35.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Kain is the big one, Milo, the little guy, is our most recent adoptee. Six years old, said to be pure Chihuahua.

Attachments

• Kain and Milo.jpg
    Kain and Milo.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 410

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;x2RJN9a_jdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RJN9a_jdM[/video]

LOVE this little guy!

littlelady

God bless the USA

We have a Labradoodle named Daisy Doodle that we bought last year because that breed is hypo-allergenic. Before that, we always had rescues. I could never live with myself if I mistreated any animal. I even let critter bugs out of the house if I can. I understand the OP's concern. Poor poopies. What is wrong with people?

Attachments

• daisy.png
    daisy.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 338