Trump proposes cutting food stamps for delivered boxes of food.

Sapidus

Remember when stupid people got mad because Michelle wanted children to eat healthier and people screamed about food choices and nanny states?

Well lets see what people think about personal choice and freedom of poor people.

"The Trump administration is proposing to save billions in the coming years by giving low-income families a box of government-picked, nonperishable foods every month instead of food stamps.

White House OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on Monday hailed the idea as one that kept up with the modern era, calling it a "Blue Apron-type program" — a nod to the high-end meal kit delivery company that had one of the worst stock debuts in 2017 and has struggled to hold onto customers. Mulvaney said the administration’s plan would not only save the government money, but also provide people with more nutritious food than they have now."

"For one, the Trump administration’s proposal doesn’t include fresh items, like produce or meat, which are the core of Blue Apron and its competitors. Such products perish quickly and are incredibly expensive to ship."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/food-stamps-trump-administration-343245

This_person

Remember when stupid people got mad because Michelle wanted children to eat healthier and people screamed about food choices and nanny states?

Well lets see what people think about personal choice and freedom of poor people.

"The Trump administration is proposing to save billions in the coming years by giving low-income families a box of government-picked, nonperishable foods every month instead of food stamps.

White House OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on Monday hailed the idea as one that kept up with the modern era, calling it a "Blue Apron-type program" — a nod to the high-end meal kit delivery company that had one of the worst stock debuts in 2017 and has struggled to hold onto customers. Mulvaney said the administration’s plan would not only save the government money, but also provide people with more nutritious food than they have now."

"For one, the Trump administration’s proposal doesn’t include fresh items, like produce or meat, which are the core of Blue Apron and its competitors. Such products perish quickly and are incredibly expensive to ship."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/food-stamps-trump-administration-343245

:shrug: Seems like a good idea.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Damn you are Clueless .........

The Proposed Changes Have Nothing to do with the Michelle Obama and the School Lunch Program :dork:

I am Guessing it is about reducing FRAUD ...

Liberals Furious That Trump Wants To Replace Food Stamps With Actual Food

Under the Trump proposal, 80% of all SNAP recipients would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package," NPR reported. "The package was described in the budget as consisting of 'shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables.' The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables."

The program would be called "America’s Harvest Box." Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue called it “a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families ― and all of it is home-grown by American farmers and producers.”

Here's the nut graf from the NPR story:

The USDA believes that state governments will be able to deliver this food at much less cost than SNAP recipients currently pay for food at retail stores — thus reducing the overall cost of the SNAP program by $129 billion over the next 10 years. This and other changes in the SNAP program, according to the Trump administration, will reduce the SNAP budget by $213 billion over those years — cutting the program by almost 30 percent.

Sapidus

Damn you are Clueless .........

The Proposed Changes Have Nothing to do with the Michelle Obama and the School Lunch Program :dork:

I am Guessing it is about reducing FRAUD ...

are you slow?

You people threw fits when " Michelle told your kids what to eat"

Now you are cheering the govt telling poor people what to eat?

It's just more hypocrisy.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
are you slow?

I ran a charity in Annapolis for years. When I took it over they were giving out vouchers for food to a local grocery store.I switched it over to food boxes and our costs dropped in half and no one went hungry.
No more crab meat, shrimp, etc. no more selling a fifty dollar voucher for twenty five dollars.....to buy drugs and booze.

I think it’s a good idea.

Sapidus

I ran a charity in Annapolis for years. When I took it over they were giving out vouchers for food to a local grocery store.I switched it over to food boxes and our costs dropped in half and no one went hungry.
No more crab meat, shrimp, etc. no more selling a fifty dollar voucher for twenty five dollars.....to buy drugs and booze.

I think it’s a good idea.

Glad the party of smaller government thinks the government should be in the business of telling people what to eat.

Your hypocrisy is endless.

Do you thin the government should ban cheeseburgers and french fries because they make people sick and the government ends up footing the bill? How about soda?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Glad the party of smaller government thinks the government should be in the business of telling people what to eat.
You
Your hypocrisy is endless.

Do you thin the government should ban cheeseburgers and french fries because they make people sick and the government ends up footing the bill? How about soda?

It’s not hypocrisy when you actually do it......genius
.....and it worked,
I think the government should get out of the food business completely. Let people work for food and let NGO’s help the others....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I was just reading some twitters, and someone posted "Let's quit calling this Blue Apron style SNAP. This is a government ration box. They will get things like powdered milk, dried beans and peanut butter. Not fresh fruits, vegetables and meat." My first thought was "Oh, you mean like Michelle Obama's school lunches!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
are you slow?

Which People Are Those Sappy ?
Be Specific Now ....

and school lunch programs have nothing to do with welfare for the poor

To an idiot.

I thought you were for smaller govt and less intrusion. I guess that is only when it comes to the government and you? if its poor people its ok?

what does being poor have to do with YOUR Objections ... it is about reducing FRAUD, give people FOOD, not CASH

Glad the party of smaller government

where have you been short bus, the GOP has NOT been the party of smaller gov for 2 decades now .... and frankly this will save the Gov. money by reducing FRAUD

.... thinks the government should be in the business of telling people what to eat.

what does Smaller Gov, have to do with telling people what to eat [which this does not] the changes instead give people something to eat instead of cash that can be used for drugs and alcohol

so what exactly is YOUR Objection besides screaming the GOP is being hypocritical ... because that is not an very good argument to counter the proposed changes with

Last edited:

libby

Perhaps the program doesn't drop a box of groceries at the door, but allows the 'client' to choose from the healthy options available from Blue Apron. Either way, they don't get cash.

Hijinx

There are soup kitchens and church food distributions, I had no idea those sorry bass tids were making people eat the food they were giving away. Telling those people you have to eat this because you are not paying for it.

Makes me look a lot differently on these people who are giving food away.

:sarcasm: I added this because I didn't want to confuse sap.

Sapidus

Perhaps the program doesn't drop a box of groceries at the door, but allows the 'client' to choose from the healthy options available from Blue Apron. Either way, they don't get cash.

If you would read the article you would see that is not the case.