Ahhhhhh.. The I've arrived phone call.

black dog

Free America
The recruits first phone call home.
At 12:27 am my recruit called me and he stated that he had arrived at MCRD Parris Island and he was fine, I was told to not mail him any boxes or food.
He was VERY AWAKE, And seemed very busy... LOL..

luvmygdaughters

At 12:27 am my recruit called me and he stated that he had arrived at MCRD Parris Island and he was fine, I was told to not mail him any boxes or food.

Congrats!!! I remember my sister saying the same thing when her grandson arrived at Parris Island!!

awpitt

Main Streeter

Outstanding and Congrats! My oldest boy made the same phone call to me in Nov 2015 (USN bootcamp). The next few weeks are gonna be difficult. You won't hear from him as much as you'd like. The main thing to remember is that no news is good news. There are a lot of forums and Facebook groups that you can join. Even ones that are specific to your son's actual bootcamp company so you can connect with other family members. I met up with a lot of folks and we ended up meeting in Great Lake and had a party the night before the bootcamp graduation.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are a lot of forums and Facebook groups that you can join. Even ones that are specific to your son's actual bootcamp company so you can connect with other family members.

This ^^ I wish they'd have had that when my son went in.

Congrats on your son, BD!

black dog

Free America
Outstanding and Congrats! My oldest boy made the same phone call to me in Nov 2015 (USN bootcamp). The next few weeks are gonna be difficult. You won't hear from him as much as you'd like. The main thing to remember is that no news is good news. There are a lot of forums and Facebook groups that you can join. Even ones that are specific to your son's actual bootcamp company so you can connect with other family members. I met up with a lot of folks and we ended up meeting in Great Lake and had a party the night before the bootcamp graduation.

This ^^ I wish they'd have had that when my son went in.

Congrats on your son, BD!

Thanks, his mother has locked in on a Facebook page that is nothing but 3rd Battalion Lima. Apparently lots of pictures are taken now.
IMG_20180305_1515591.jpg

IMG_20180305_1303290461.jpg

Last pics from yesterday. Another Oath after signing contracts and after lunch no pictures on the way to the bus, just a quick hug..

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thanks all, it truly will be interesting to meet my son all over again in 13 weeks.

He will be a very different person the next time you see him and you will be amazed. One piece of advice. Tell everyone who will be writing to him to never inform him of any negative news from home. My son and I had an agreement that while he was in bootcamp, he was to here nothing negative from home unless something bad happened to me, his Mom, or one of his siblings. In these cases, it would be handled by the Red Cross. Any other bad news was going to have to wait until he graduated from bootcamp. Just a thought.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I remember making that call decades ago. In San Diego they had the glass phone booths with the split door. Not sure how many in a row but quite a few, maybe 8 - 10 booths. We lined up behind a booth. 1 in after 1 got out. Someone was making sure the phone calls were short & sweet. This was accomplished by banging on the door telling you to hurry up. Then go to the next booth and do the same thing until they reached the end then proceeded to head back the other way banging on more doors.

So the conversation goes something like this. "Hi, hey I made it. Well they're banging on the door so I gotta go. Love ya.". Probably the fastest call I ever made where I talked to an actual person.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I remember making that call decades ago. In San Diego they had the glass phone booths with the split door. Not sure how many in a row but quite a few, maybe 8 - 10 booths. We lined up behind a booth. 1 in after 1 got out. Someone was making sure the phone calls were short & sweet. This was accomplished by banging on the door telling you to hurry up. Then go to the next booth and do the same thing until they reached the end then proceeded to head back the other way banging on more doors.

So the conversation goes something like this. "Hi, hey I made it. Well they're banging on the door so I gotta go. Love ya.". Probably the fastest call I ever made where I talked to an actual person.

Same for me when I made the first call home. I don't think it was even 20 seconds. Same thing for when my son made the call except it was from his cell phone. When he hung up, the phone went into a box with the rest of his civies and was shipped home.

black dog

Free America
He will be a very different person the next time you see him and you will be amazed. One piece of advice. Tell everyone who will be writing to him to never inform him of any negative news from home. My son and I had an agreement that while he was in bootcamp, he was to here nothing negative from home unless something bad happened to me, his Mom, or one of his siblings. In these cases, it would be handled by the Red Cross. Any other bad news was going to have to wait until he graduated from bootcamp. Just a thought.

He's a third legacy on the island, even though I come from a Navy family.
My father, one sister and two uncle's tried hard to get him to go Navy..
We were given a phone calling card, and we were told when someone answered to read this paragraph and say goodbye and hang up... The same paragraph my son read to me..
I'm versed in the no bad news, I'll send him pink cup cakes and party hats to him when he's at Camp Geiger at Infantry School in a few months for his birthday..
My father didn't answer my phone call.. :lol:

buddscreek

your son is a very level headed young man, he will do well.
you didn't have give him the your outta here speech like your dad gave you?

black dog

Free America
your son is a very level headed young man, he will do well.
you didn't have give him the your outta here speech like your dad gave you?

Lol.. I remember picking option three with Judge Tracy,,,, Then hearing my Father yelling in the courtroom.... YOUR OUTTA HERE!!!
Flapping his arm like a referee...
One of us was court mandated, the other was not.. it's really strange not talking to him 6 times a day...

Homer J

Power Chord